Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

all you Haines City experts--could you answer some questions about this course?
Quote | Reply
OK, looking forward to being part of the inaugural IM Haines City! Those of you who have raced the 70.3 as well as those who know the area, could you provide some guidance on this venue?

Swim
-Looks like a shallow and likely to be warm swim. do you expect them to do two of the "M" shaped laps or is it possible to go through the narrow part of the lake and then on into the other part of the lake and do one big lap?
-Expectations of water temp on Nov. 4th? I know it is 82 degrees right now.

Bike
-would you expect it to be 2 laps of the 70.3 course
-some hills, but it's Florida--so would a 39/25 (11/25 rear cassette) be a good lowest gear? I'm a pretty good cyclist (for a triathlete) and would expect to average around 190 watts for the 112 (my FTP is around 260 watts or about 3.2 watts/kg)
-how is the pavement?
-typical wind?
-anything technical to anticipate?

Run
-will it be 6 laps?
-what do you run on (pavement, cement)?
-any shade

Weather
-what to expect?

Any tips/watch outs?

Thanks for the help!

rc

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Re: all you Haines City experts--could you answer some questions about this course? [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rcmioga wrote:
OK, looking forward to being part of the inaugural IM Haines City! Those of you who have raced the 70.3 as well as those who know the area, could you provide some guidance on this venue?

Swim
-Looks like a shallow and likely to be warm swim. do you expect them to do two of the "M" shaped laps or is it possible to go through the narrow part of the lake and then on into the other part of the lake and do one big lap?
-Expectations of water temp on Nov. 4th? I know it is 82 degrees right now.

Bike
-would you expect it to be 2 laps of the 70.3 course
-some hills, but it's Florida--so would a 39/25 (11/25 rear cassette) be a good lowest gear? I'm a pretty good cyclist (for a triathlete) and would expect to average around 190 watts for the 112 (my FTP is around 260 watts or about 3.2 watts/kg)
-how is the pavement?
-typical wind?
-anything technical to anticipate?

Run
-will it be 6 laps?
-what do you run on (pavement, cement)?
-any shade

Weather
-what to expect?

Any tips/watch outs?

Thanks for the help!

rc

I don't know specifics, but I have done HC x3.

Swim: For the 70.3, the M shaped swim made for a longer swim....time wise...at least for me. It is a small lake but not shallow to the degree you will touch the bottom. I imagine it will be crowded on the second loop.

Bike: I have run 11/25 and 11/28. Your FTP and kg/watts is higher than mine....so you should be fine. There are some sketchy sections of pavement, but overall I found it to be fine. Drive it before the race, some of the intersections can be dicey. In April, there was little wind the years I did it. I would have welcomed it, it was humid and hotter than hell. One intersection is a little technical, but nothing crazy.

Run: I don't know if they are using the same run course, but there is a bitch of a hill on the 70.3 course and very little shade. I recall a lot of concrete but the roads in the neighborhoods my be pavement.....I don't remember.

Tip: If it is the same bike course, you will come screaming down a hill into transition. There will be a lot of people on either side of the road, which usually results in someone trying to cross the street when you are barreling downhill at 30+ mph. Be on the lookout.
Quote Reply
Re: all you Haines City experts--could you answer some questions about this course? [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dones the 70.3 4 times. Alligators are moved to the back lake. Could change that. Swim is rough if they keep the M shape. People going every which way small lake washing machine. Bike is nice few rough sections but overall good . Wind can be a factor. First 25 flat and open. After bok tower there are hills. They could expand the course but the locals would have a hissy fit. If they use that run course it is going to hurt.. 3 loops is bad enough but 6 no way. You have 2 serious hills with no sun shade. Manys false flats. If they double everything and you finish you are a badass
Quote Reply
Re: all you Haines City experts--could you answer some questions about this course? [rhudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you mean by "could change that"? I also do not understand what you are saying about moving alligators to a back lake. Please explain.
Quote Reply
Re: all you Haines City experts--could you answer some questions about this course? [tomk407] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are gators, like in most water in this area. From what's understood, they push them out of this lake and over into the nearby one. Hooray wildlife management!

I would really just recommend that we hold off on trying to piece together what's going to happen here. The obvious answer is to double the bike loop, but I can't imagine them doing a six lap run. But hell, I was positive that we'd be talking a transfer/deferral for this race so take whatever I have to say with a giant grain of salt.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: all you Haines City experts--could you answer some questions about this course? [tomk407] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don't have to worry about the gators. They hate lots of noise/people. Seriously. The "M" swim is rough and definitely slows the swim down. I'm interested to see if they can work out another solution. If not, the second loop will be crazy crowded.

The bike is pretty mundane to be honest. 52/39 11-25 you should be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lake Eva has alligators they move them for the 70.3....swim fast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I've done 70.3 FL 3 times.

Swim is a bit slow, especially if you wave is one of the last ones. Too many people on the turn buoys.

Bike - i think you will be fine with 11-25. Quite a few turns in the first 10mile-ish. Course is pretty much flat, with a few hills (basically on the 2nd half, none of these is long). First half of the course is pretty flat and there might be some wind on the second one. Some portions of the course are not closed to traffic so be careful

Run - there is some shade and the whole course is paved. Expect some hills. The course was changed this year, but it actually does not make any difference. Apart from aid stations and in front of the transition area traffic is not an issue.

https://www.instagram.com/mateusfrota/
Last edited by: mfrota: Oct 19, 18 11:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM stated yesterday that they swim and bike will just be a double of the current IM70.3 course. The run course will be altered to a 3 loop course instead of 6 loops of the 70.3 loop. I doubt we'll know any more than that until they publish the run course map.
Quote Reply