Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

aero gains on 3km ip
Quote | Reply
hello people! i will like to know if anybody on this forum have any data or testing in the track frame category. I currently have the old Argon 18 electron carbon (squared tubing). how do it compare to something like a cervelo t3/t4 , felt tkfrd, argon pursuit bike, ect... Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: aero gains on 3km ip [Mathias] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello

interesting question, but I have never see any really significant data on track frame. I love IP and track, but it is a small market.

However, portion of the frame in total drag is small, so given the very high price of some models, and the small impact on performance between many models, I would suggest :

1) choose a good aero model at fair price (personally, I bought few years ago a Dolan DF4)

then put the rest of the money on :

2) disk wheels
3) good UCI compatible "boundary layer management" suit. Normally, in a 3km IP, you should be in the "speed window" (easier than doing this during an Ironman :-)
4) wind tunnel or velodrome CdA test..... your body being around 75% of the drag, vs around 5% for the fork and 5% for the rest of the frame, probably.

Good luck !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is not a lot of (public) data out there... but besides agreeing with ^^^

There are basically 3 tiers of aero track bikes

- Most "aero" track bikes readily available to the public (Fuji Elite, Dolan DF4, Felt TK1, etc)
- The T4 - ***Maybe something like the Avanti or BT fall in this area***
- The new generation of Superbikes (TAfrd, the bikes of this Olympic Cycle, etc)

Dean Phillips tested the T4 vs. the "new" Felt... I think that article is still around of Fitwerx website (with some aero data)

- Realistically, unless you have a ridiculous budget, and you can live with the narrow rear stays, the T4 is the bike that makes the most sense.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Currently in the process of building my own track bike and found there is very little info out there but also that there is very little choice as far as available frames and bikes is concerned. A lot of big brands have exited the market; some others like Felt are exiting now and so there are a bunch of cheap aluminum frames and then a select few of very expensive frames but not much in between.

Even though I'll be using the bike for omnium & TT races I'm building a look 464 because it's not too expensive and looks very cool. Not the best as far as aero is concerned but it'll be a great value for money once it's all done.
Quote Reply
Re: aero gains on 3km ip [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^I've got a 464 for a bunchie bike, it's a good ride.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply