Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

aero forks & integrated headsets
Quote | Reply
Any recommendations? Am I correct that neither Reynolds nor Alpha Q aero forks are integrated-headset compatible? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: aero forks & integrated headsets [mja] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It makes a considerable difference. We tested a non-integrated fork on a P3, then added a piece to the fork that mimics the integration of the fork with the headtube. The drag reduction on the integrated fork (which later became the Cervelo Wolf fork) was about 0.1 lb. And that was more or less the case across the yaw angle range. To give you an idea, 0.1 lb. translates to 5 Watts at 36kmh.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Last edited by: gerard: Feb 22, 03 13:18
Quote Reply
Don't understand [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I don't understand this at all. I shouldn't be surprised since I don't have any bikes with an integrated headset.

Is there a difference between a fork designed for an integrated headset and one designed for a seperate headset? Would I be able to use say, a Wolf fork on my old P3 (assuming you make one in a 650)?

While you are at it Gerard, how about spilling the beans on the Dura Ace 10 speed stuff. You must be in the loop. It is public now, so give us the whole dump.

Original P3 owner,
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Kraig Willett [ In reply to ]
Re: aero forks & integrated headsets [Kraig Willett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the 0.1 lb. is that strange, we had a Kestrel and Chord at the same test and all these forks basically tested in line with previous tests. There are always differences because of test protocol, but overall the spread between forks was quite large. Our set-up included a spinning front wheel (Zipp 404). I am not sure if the fork tests you quote include a spinning wheel, and it may not matter much between the QR and the Kestrel, but once you start testing forks with blade shapes optimized for a spinning wheel it obviously makes a big difference.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Re: aero forks & integrated headsets [mja] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Any recommendations? Am I correct that neither Reynolds nor Alpha Q aero forks are integrated-headset compatible? Thanks.

Reynolds makes a fork for integrated headsets...provided you have an 1 1/8 headtube:

http://reynoldscomposites.com/OuzoProIntegrated.html
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Kraig Willett [ In reply to ]
Re: aero forks & integrated headsets [Kraig Willett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply][reply]
What makes a big difference with spinning wheels: blade shape or crown/head tube smoothing?
[/reply]

The upper part of the blade and the crown are really affected by the spinning wheel, not so sure about the integrated section. But with non-integrated forks, I could foresee that the airflow hitting the "bottom" of the headtube would interfere with the flow around the crown. Not sure about the latter though, that is just a guess.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply