Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

advice on Utah MTB
Quote | Reply
I'm planning a long weekend for the guys to Utah and am looking for advice on the itinerary. I'll be out there with bike buddies, not runners or triathletes. I started thinking that I'd fly to SLC then drive to Park City. I have hotel points and can stay for nothing, which is very appealing. The plan was to rent MTBs and spend 2-3 days on the trails. The food and drink in PC is pricey, but nice. But then another friend just got back from Moab and says "its amazing." He did some MTB and also jeep tours. Google says Moab is 3.5 hours drive from SLC. I'm sure to enjoy either but trying to do both sounds like a lot of driving for a "vacation." PC is cush and easy . Is Moab that good ?

who's got an opinion ?

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Re: advice on Utah MTB [TriBri00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's hard to compare Moab and Park City.

Both are amazing places to ride, but the riding will be very different. Seemingly endless single track and park like riding in Park City. Moab is lot's of slick rock and sandy riding.

What kind of riding do you like? XC/ Trail like riding up and down or shuttling and riding big travel bikes downhill/ park riding?

I've ridden in both places and would have a hard time deciding which to pick also. But both are a long drive for me from San Diego.

In terms of ease of access, Park City is less than an hour from SLC airport. I think you will be able to find places to eat that won't brake the bank. Easy to get out there and ride.

Moab is for sure "that good", but a it's a drive.

You will be able to find good rental bikes in both places.

Have fun!!

Jake

Get outside!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Park City is awesome for Mt Biking and close bars and good food but Moab is one of a kind for Mt biking. Depending on when your going Moab can get very hot though.

'STICK EM UP PUNK ITS THE FUN LOVING CRIMINAL'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Summer- Park City
Early fall-toss up
Late fall-Moab

Want a hotel-PC
Want to camp-Moab

You can't really go wrong with either
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriBri00 wrote:
I'm planning a long weekend for the guys to Utah and am looking for advice on the itinerary. I'll be out there with bike buddies, not runners or triathletes. I started thinking that I'd fly to SLC then drive to Park City. I have hotel points and can stay for nothing, which is very appealing. The plan was to rent MTBs and spend 2-3 days on the trails. The food and drink in PC is pricey, but nice. But then another friend just got back from Moab and says "its amazing." He did some MTB and also jeep tours. Google says Moab is 3.5 hours drive from SLC. I'm sure to enjoy either but trying to do both sounds like a lot of driving for a "vacation." PC is cush and easy . Is Moab that good ?

who's got an opinion ?

Your Park City plan is pretty good, especially if you only have 2-3 days. The whole wasatch is full of awesome trails and you will not get bored.

If you had more days, though, I'd say beeline it to Moab. It's absolutely the most amazing coolest funnest greatest place to mountain bike ever :)

Plus the town is really great, too -- lovely places to eat, pretty easy to find accomodations. If you are going when it's hot (May-Sept, depending), ride very early and very late and hole up from 10am-4pm.

Whatever you decide, welcome to Utah and have fun!!

-Eric
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We just got back from Moab after a great week of riding. We drove from Alberta and stayed in a VRBO. the riding was amazing and food and beer pretty cheap. Lots of other activities to do and plenty of bike shops to hang around. The weather wasn't too warm which was fine for us very white Canucks.
PC is a totally different deal. i stayed VRBO there as well but i didn't think there was as much food or drink. The trails were more of the "take a chairlift and ride down" type.
Do Moab, there will be no regrets.

Quote Reply
Re: advice on Utah MTB [russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
russ wrote:
We just got back from Moab after a great week of riding. We drove from Alberta and stayed in a VRBO. the riding was amazing and food and beer pretty cheap. Lots of other activities to do and plenty of bike shops to hang around. The weather wasn't too warm which was fine for us very white Canucks.
PC is a totally different deal. i stayed VRBO there as well but i didn't think there was as much food or drink. The trails were more of the "take a chairlift and ride down" type.

not to be rude but this is just so wrong; food and drink, both affordable and high value, and hundreds of miles of rideable cross country and rideable up and down
Contender just opened a PC location https://contenderbicycles.com
Last edited by: heyMartin: May 11, 18 16:58
Quote Reply
Re: advice on Utah MTB [russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
russ wrote:

Yeah, I think if you felt that Park City didn't have much to offer in terms of food or drink, perhaps you missed the entire length of Main Street which is just packed with awesome restaurants and hangouts. And the trail system there is beyond compare. Did you visit in the 1990s or something?? :)

-Eric
Quote Reply