Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: a saddle that isn't too high [rmur] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
mountain bike or road shoes or does it matter?

If you're emulating Price and Donne, whatever you intend to ride in.

(BTW, the reason that saddle height has been on my mind is because of those new Specialized shoes, which caused me to revisit - but ultimately, not change - my saddle height).
Quote Reply
Re: a saddle that isn't too high [gregclimbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hi greg,
No I haven't but have read good things about the Conti. For the past two "CT seasons" I've been using the same Michelin Pro Race 23mm tire that happened to be on the wheel. I won't try to count the hours but it has to be in the hundreds.

Re the drift, I warm-up for 12-15min high 200's or 300W, then perform the RRC check 2-3 times. No repeatability issue there at all. I'm just referring to the slow drop in load-generator power when compared to my PT Pro over long and somewhat high power intervals. I found that I need to use an small 6-8" external cooling fan to alleviate that. I've been using it since 2004 so can't really remember exactly how much drift I saw without it. It was enough to bother me though.
Quote Reply
Re: a saddle that isn't too high [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

In Reply To:

Raising your saddle from 96% to 104% reduces efficiency by about 1% in absolute terms, i.e., for a given VO2 (and RER) your power would be ~5% lower.

Note that having a saddle that is too high is worse than having one that is too low, i.e., the relationship is not symmetrical around the minima.

In Reply To:
More like 5% change in oxygen consumption here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...search&DB=pubmed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
okay. Next topic: cadence. what ranges are ideal versus target power output? And is it absolute or relative power output? :)
Quote Reply
Re: a saddle that isn't too high [duncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

In Reply To:

Raising your saddle from 96% to 104% reduces efficiency by about 1% in absolute terms, i.e., for a given VO2 (and RER) your power would be ~5% lower.

Note that having a saddle that is too high is worse than having one that is too low, i.e., the relationship is not symmetrical around the minima.

In Reply To:
More like 5% change in oxygen consumption here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...search&DB=pubmed
Lab testing is typically conducted with power as the independent variable and VO2 as the dependent variable. I was presenting the converse situation, i.e., with power as the dependent variable (which, in this case, it probably would be).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, right, confirmatory reports - I hadn't read your post closely enough, nor thought enough about how VO2 and efficiency relate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andy, jersey and hat do not a "kit" make..you need the shorts as well. Tell Hunter to get on it!

You're right about the "technical fabric" caps, I've got a Sugoi team Clif Bar hat that is way better than any of my old cotton caps.
Quote Reply

Prev Next