Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
a little help? 650c tri bikes (and wheels, and tires): who's making them?
Quote | Reply
i'm finishing up a front page piece on this and i want to make sure i list every company that makes these products.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: a little help? 650c tri bikes (and wheels, and tires): who's making them? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
List of 650C wheels I use:
HED Wheels: Jet 60, Jet 90, H3, Jet Disc (Special order, I will receive this Wednesday). I know they don't make the 90 any more

I like the Alex DA28 for a training rim. In fact I like just about every 650C Alex rim I've had.

Bikes
Felt DA (not sure if they make it any more)
Cervelo NP2, I have the older P2 as well. If I could afford it I'd have bought a P5 45cm
While the 45 is smaller than the older 48, it's easy to make bigger and I don't have a tire overlap problem with it. I can say the only thing I don't like about the 45 NP2 is the front end doesn't have enough trail. I calculate 61mm but I handles like it's well below 60.

Planet X Stealth which has a road bike front end geometry. I've built it as a road bike to replace my CAAD5
Quote Reply
Re: a little help? 650c tri bikes (and wheels, and tires): who's making them? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you. i guess there's only one person who knows the answer to this. SAD! (as trump would say.)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: a little help? 650c tri bikes (and wheels, and tires): who's making them? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I forgot tires.

You most likely have the GP4000SII and the Michelin PR4 but I also use the Schwalbe One in a 650X23. I really like that tire and may race on it this season.
Quote Reply
Re: a little help? 650c tri bikes (and wheels, and tires): who's making them? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
650c Tires:

* Continental Competition Tubular
* Continental Gatorskin
* Continenal Grand Prix 4000 SII
* Continental Sprinter Tubular
* Kenda K925 Kaliente
* Schwalbe One HS462A
* Tufo Jet Special
* Tufo S3
* Vittoria Corsa EVO CX Tubular
* Vittoria Juniores Tubular
* Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX III
* Vittoria Rubino III
* Vittoria's Rubino Pro G+

650c Inner Tubes:

* Continental Race 26
* Continental Race Light
* Continental Race Supersonic
* Kenda
* Michelin A1/B1 Aircomp

650c Wheels:

* ENVE SES 650c
* HED Ardennes SL
* HED Jet 6
* Velocity A23
* Zipp 404 Firecrest
Last edited by: RichardL: Apr 18, 17 13:00
Quote Reply
Re: a little help? 650c tri bikes (and wheels, and tires): who's making them? [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan it's not a tri bike but I make culprit Junior bikes 650c and our junior two can be custom painted. Aero alloy frame with carbon dual offset post.

Not sure if it fits your bill but it is an option.

https://culpritbicycles.com/...ucts/2016-junior-two
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trek
Felt
Ridley
Zipp
Hed
Gatorskins
Quote Reply
Re: a little help? 650c tri bikes (and wheels, and tires): who's making them? [culpritbicycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
QR Dulce looks like it still has a 650c option on the XS.
Quote Reply
Re: a little help? 650c tri bikes (and wheels, and tires): who's making them? [culpritbicycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
culpritbicycles wrote:
Dan it's not a tri bike but I make culprit Junior bikes 650c and our junior two can be custom painted. Aero alloy frame with carbon dual offset post.

Not sure if it fits your bill but it is an option.

https://culpritbicycles.com/...ucts/2016-junior-two

I am so glad you posted! You even have a bumble bee yellow road bike that matches my car ;-) However, I am having trouble using you color selector to actually see what the bike would look like. Please advise. I am seriously interested in purchasing, as I am what you call in your website, a "little rider"!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for taking care of the little riders too!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: a little help? 650c tri bikes (and wheels, and tires): who's making them? [Stumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thank you. but as far as i know the only 650c bike trek makes is an emonda marketed to kids. felt? if you can be a little more granular on your answer i would be in your debt.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I haven't ridden one, Orbea makes the Ordu in a 650
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i'm finishing up a front page piece on this and i want to make sure i list every company that makes these products.

Cervelo P5 - 2015 48 uses 650's, but their 2016 and newer versions they changed the 48 to 700's. You can still get a Cervelo P5 size 45 in 650's.

Would be interested in your thoughts that if most riders 5'5" or under on 650's should also be on shorter cranks.

Thanks for your article. My 650 P5 is the first tri bike that I can easily get my leg over :)
Quote Reply
Re: a little help? 650c tri bikes (and wheels, and tires): who's making them? [highflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Would be interested in your thoughts that if most riders 5'5" or under on 650's should also be on shorter cranks."

if you're riding a bike with 650c wheels because you NEED to, then you should probably be on 160mm or 155mm cranks. which means cobb, rotor, infocrank, most likely.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bit more legible presentation of the data...

Quote Reply
Re: a little help? 650c tri bikes (and wheels, and tires): who's making them? [rlh212] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks. i'm using yours. i just patched mine together using two graphs i created over time, contemporaneously.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"While I haven't ridden one, Orbea makes the Ordu in a 650"

which model?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightning makes a 160:

http://www.lightningbikes.com/cranks/index.html

Bonus is you can change from compact to 130 bcd.

Corima still makes 650:

http://store.corima.com/carbon-bicycle-wheelset.html?diametre=4

Cheers,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a felt da and b12 650c you can still get them but rare

I think Planet X still do the pro stealth in 650

I have 160 cranks ultegra and dura ace

Hope that helps

Also what about blue that Emma pooled is riding?
Last edited by: Stumps: Apr 14, 17 14:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"Would be interested in your thoughts that if most riders 5'5" or under on 650's should also be on shorter cranks."

if you're riding a bike with 650c wheels because you NEED to, then you should probably be on 160mm or 155mm cranks. which means cobb, rotor, infocrank, most likely.

Dan,

Has a factor in the riding of 650c bikes also not been the issues surrounding gearing?

1) You shorten the cranks substantially therefore to to maintain the same pedal force as longer cranks one needs to reduce size of chainring

2) Yet the loss in wheel circumference demands an increase in chainring size if the desire is to maintain same rpm at same speed (which can be a function of physiology and fitness)

A solution IMHO might be if SRAM did an XD cassette with a road like spread e.g. 10-26

Interested in your thoughts....

David

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trek made the 1st generation Speed Concept in an XS that utilized 650 wheels (my wife rides one), but sadly they don't offer an XS or anything with 650 wheels in the generation 2 Speed Concept.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: a little help? 650c tri bikes (and wheels, and tires): who's making them? [Stumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that bike is a custom bike. yes, obviously it's available. i'm talking about production tri bikes right now, and the parts that go on them. it seems to me they've all dried up but the 45cm P series bikes.

if that is the case, fine, but then that's the bike that 1 in 8 triathletes should be buying. what i mean is that this particular sku (well, the P2 and P3 in all their builds), in size-45cm, should make up 1 out of every 8 tri bike purchases in the U.S. today.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"At least these

https://www.orbea.com/...ycles/ordu-m10i-team
https://www.orbea.com/...cycles/ordu-m20-team

unless it says right there 650 wheel or 26" wheel the very first thing i look at is the chain stay on the geometry chart. the chain stay will always be shorter on the 650c bike.

on these bikes its 405mm straight across, all sizes. if the smallest size in this bike is 650c, this will be the first time in history (that i know of) that the 650c bike has the same chain stay as its 700c cousins. are you suuuuure?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next