Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

great article - Mary Beth Ellis: State of Professionalism in Triathlon
Quote | Reply
http://www.xtri.com/...p;CAT=23&xref=xx

http://www.TriathlonShots.com
Full event coverage of triathlon/ironman in photos.

Quote Reply
Re: great article - Mary Beth Ellis: State of Professionalism in Triathlon [triathlonshots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the link. so true

----------------------------
2012: Norseman. I'm done.
Quote Reply
Re: great article - Mary Beth Ellis: State of Professionalism in Triathlon [triathlonshots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man what a refreshning change! Spot on ;-)

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triathlonshots,

First I meet you at Lake Hughes in NZ almost 2 years ago with the EPIC boys and girl. Your photo work is awesome.

With respect to this article I have to say, again sport is a reflection on society. We need to take responsibility for all aspects of ours lives and not blame others. Bad and good things happen to all of us. Sometimes we are 1% responsible and sometimes 100% for the bad or the good. At the end of the day 100% of the responsibility is ours. I like the example Mary Beth gave with the bike crash. She said, hey if I would have swam faster I would not have been in the crash, personal responsibility for the piece you can control.

John
Quote Reply
Re: great article - Mary Beth Ellis: State of Professionalism in Triathlon [JJD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She said, hey if I would have swam faster I would not have been in the crash, personal responsibility for the piece you can control.

I sure hope neither of you are attorneys.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice article

I was waiting for her to also talk about the pro's not making enough money, or the money at races is too little, or that drug testing is bad or that pro women have AG men cause them to get drafting calls, etc.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: great article - Mary Beth Ellis: State of Professionalism in Triathlon [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I sure hope neither of you are attorneys.

I don't get it....what do you mean? I thought the article was spot on and loved it. I think I just misunderstood what you meant by the attorney remark?

The article made me harken back to an old adage my pop's used to say to me in my formative years and his to him.....'Excuses are like arse holes son, everybody has one. Grow up'.
Last edited by: ride2eat: Dec 11, 09 7:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great article and thanks for sharing. The same comments apply to the age groupers as well. As I always tell my clients...this is your hobby not your profession, enjoy yourself and quit worrying about the little things. The pressure is on the people who need to do well to put food on the table. I've been involved in this sport since 1988. The sport has grown beyond my wildest dreams yet I'm amazed at all the excuses I hear at races for not doing well. The time to do your talking is after the gun guns off and before you cross the finish line. You speak with the integrity of how you race. Your results speak for themselves. It doesn't matter what club you are in, who you are sponsored by, what bike you ride. What matters is that you participated, you got off the couch and took part in a sport that changes people.

Peter S. Alfino
http://www.milehighmultisport.com

Peter S. Alfino
http://www.milehighmultisport.com
How You Train Makes The Difference!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fucking awesome!

Now someone needs to say the same about whiney ass athletes that think they are not paid as much as they deserve.
Who steps up?

Quote | Reply
Nice article

I was waiting for her to also talk about the pro's not making enough money, or the money at races is too little, or that drug testing is bad or that pro women have AG men cause them to get drafting calls, etc.

Dave

---------------------------------------------------

I was also expecting to hear who say too many pros are complaining about lack of good prize money, but she didn't.

A solution to lack of prize money is to find alternative sources of income, like sponsorship, talks, coaching etc. And cut your living/training costs right down.

G.
www.TriathlonShots.com

Quote Reply
Re: great article - Mary Beth Ellis: State of Professionalism in Triathlon [JJD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triathlonshots,

First I meet you at Lake Hughes in NZ almost 2 years ago with the EPIC boys and girl. Your photo work is awesome.

With respect to this article I have to say, again sport is a reflection on society. We need to take responsibility for all aspects of ours lives and not blame others. Bad and good things happen to all of us. Sometimes we are 1% responsible and sometimes 100% for the bad or the good. At the end of the day 100% of the responsibility is ours. I like the example Mary Beth gave with the bike crash. She said, hey if I would have swam faster I would not have been in the crash, personal responsibility for the piece you can control.

John

---------------------------------------

Lake Hayes that was , and wil be driving by there in 2hrs. No excuses, I have to do a swim.

Her coach is right to find a way to turn even a crash into something useful. I don't think there is is much room for 'negative energy' if an individual wants to win world class events. It is a sport after all and when things are very competitive all sorts of things are going to happen, especially when olympic spots are up for grabs.

Hope you can make it back to the South of NZ again someday. Challenge Wanaka is looking better every year and that is starting from being great already.

And all the best to Mary Beth Ellis and that winning frame of mind.

G.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not care what profession one is in, it never pays enough. Teachers complain. Nurses complain. Pro Triathletes complain. Bottom line, you know before you get into something what it will probably pay in green bills. Some would rather do more for soul money. But to bitch about something that will never change, well, life is too short!! Most folks think they are worth much more than the market will pay. Is it "fair"? Life is not fair.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply