Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Zwift is jumping headfirst into the hardware business
Quote | Reply
“Zwift just raised a hefty $450 million in funding led by the investment firm KKR in exchange for a minority stake in its business.”

“Now, Zwift is jumping headfirst into the hardware business itself.”

Could we see Zwift trainers/treadmills in the near future?

https://techcrunch.com/...-funding-led-by-kkr/
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift is jumping headfirst into the hardware business [msaad7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's really interesting. I'd be curious to see the business case for entering the hardware business with so many other players already involved.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift is jumping headfirst into the hardware business [msaad7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a related article from almost a year ago:
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/...building-indoor.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can they set aside $1M to fix having to exit Zwift before doing a 2nd workout or event? Or having to first fly to, say, Virginia for a 10-second stopover before catching a connector to Yorkshire for a Harrogate race?
Last edited by: trail: Sep 16, 20 10:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They best be careful not to make Zwift proprietary to specific hardware, or only allow certain features for Zwift hardware users.

I do think they are going for a more immersive experience with steering, braking, etc integrated.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift is jumping headfirst into the hardware business [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
They best be careful not to make Zwift proprietary to specific hardware, or only allow certain features for Zwift hardware users.

I do think they are going for a more immersive experience with steering, braking, etc integrated.

So all the things most people don't care about or can/will afford... I really hope not.
Just fix the samn game and crappy UI.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift is jumping headfirst into the hardware business [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Can they set aside $1M to fix having to exit Zwift before doing a 2nd workout or event? Or having to first fly to, say, Virginia for a 10-second stopover before catching a connector to Yorkshire for a Harrogate race?

Or including an actual elevation profile that makes any sense.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift is jumping headfirst into the hardware business [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

So all the things most people don't care about or can/will afford... I really hope not.

Nah, they can't be arsed with actual improvements that improve user experience.

But look, a squirrel!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or is it that hardware manufacturers are jumping further into the software business? Specialized was part of this round of investment.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift is jumping headfirst into the hardware business [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
lassekk wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

But look, a squirrel!

Well they did add a bear :)
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift is jumping headfirst into the hardware business [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
That's really interesting. I'd be curious to see the business case for entering the hardware business with so many other players already involved.

I'm guessing the thesis is having a fully integrated solution a-la Peloton (and having their IPO/marketcap). There is a large demand for one-stop-shop solutions that "just work" (Apple compared to PC).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift is jumping headfirst into the hardware business [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
lassekk wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

But look, a squirrel!

Ah, but the other day I saw a massive T-rex in the forest, so perhaps they are investing in game improvements!

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift is jumping headfirst into the hardware business [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Yeah, frills are nice, but the core product is the most important thing.

One feature that would be great is microphone input so you can chat with friends instead of using discord, or chat with anyone in the app, provided you can modify privacy settings to disallow it.

Also, integration with VR goggles might be cool. You could look around as you ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The running side is all but dead to me. I need some sort of event to motivate me to jump on Zwift Run. Unfortunately, they have minimal events (eastern time). The other day they had four events over the lunch hour but nothing again until 130am. Two of those events were running around that damn track. Everybody I know has also stopped using it for the same reason. Not sure what their end game is with Zwift Run. Right now it's clear they don't care about it.

Quote | Reply
trener1 wrote:
echappist wrote:
But look, a squirrel!

I finally saw the damn bear the other day
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift is jumping headfirst into the hardware business [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Can they set aside $1M to fix having to exit Zwift before doing a 2nd workout or event?

it's sad that this topic has been on the "Super Common Feature Requests" Zwift forum for over 2 years and still not addressed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
trener1 wrote:
echappist wrote:

But look, a squirrel!

I finally saw the damn bear the other day

clumsy dude falls down EVERY time i see him. he needs to get his act together.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
lassekk wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

But look, a squirrel!

He's been out on the course on just about every ride I've done, I don't even notice him anymore...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift is jumping headfirst into the hardware business [Rage KG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rage KG wrote:

it's sad that this topic has been on the "Super Common Feature Requests" Zwift forum for over 2 years and still not addressed.

As a software developer myself I can only guess that they made some architectural decision up front that makes it non-trivial, and would be a pretty big effort. As trivial as it sounds. So it's probably on some list to get handled during the next big "refactor". But the refactor keeps getting pushed back because they're having to handle scaling issues with COVID and growth.

I have sympathy. Running a production app is 1000x more complex when viewed from the inside than it appears from the outside.

But, on the other hand, two years is a really long time.
Last edited by: trail: Sep 16, 20 17:13
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift is jumping headfirst into the hardware business [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
lassekk wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:

Yeah, frills are nice, but the core product is the most important thing.

One feature that would be great is microphone input so you can chat with friends instead of using discord, or chat with anyone in the app, provided you can modify privacy settings to disallow it.

Also, integration with VR goggles might be cool. You could look around as you ride.

They demo’d the VR google bit a couple of years ago but nothing came of it. I think the goggles would be hard wear. Maybe that’s the hardware they’re building, not trainers.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift is jumping headfirst into the hardware business [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriselam wrote:
They demo’d the VR google bit a couple of years ago but nothing came of it. I think the goggles would be hard wear. Maybe that’s the hardware they’re building, not trainers.

Googles would be kinda silly for zwift to make. There are other huge companies that make VR headsets, silly to compete with them. Making a trainer or stationary bike is much more sensible.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift is jumping headfirst into the hardware business [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t really think they’re making a VR headset, but I do think it would make more sense than a trainer. Who doesn’t have a trainer at this point? Compared to how many people have trainers and don’t own a VR headset. Seems like a bigger market at least.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Rage KG wrote:

As a software developer myself I can only guess that they made some architectural decision up front that makes it non-trivial, and would be a pretty big effort. As trivial as it sounds. So it's probably on some list to get handled during the next big "refactor". But the refactor keeps getting pushed back because they're having to handle scaling issues with COVID and growth.

I have sympathy. Running a production app is 1000x more complex when viewed from the inside than it appears from the outside.

But, on the other hand, two years is a really long time.

Well they basically said back in march that the UI update was ready but they would delay it a bit to not confuse new riders during Covid 19 start. Then nothing happend, then TDF virtual came a long and you thought maybe they really need to nail this before releasing anything, then that passed by and nothing. So i guess they were just lying.

Retention of users is a lot cheaper than getting new ones, so i really dont understand they waste so much money on commercials/pro races and the like instead of fixing what makes everyone jump to other platforms. Its over a year since they said they hired in extra software expertice. So why do they focus on steering (which i bet most people are not interested in at all).
You almost have to think they are prepping for a Zwift 2.0 and have scrapped updating current UI. But we are talkign same issues for 5 years its insane. They really need some competition. The whole formula is there, someone just need to execute on it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

???

You can definitely do a workout, finish it, then do another workout without having to quit and restart zwift.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, in the last day or so they admitted that the UI update that's been underway for a while has been scrapped, with their huge growth this year they feel it no longer is an adequate solution. Sounds like some aspects of it will be implemented in the short term and long term they're starting over with a more complete redo. Just how complete I don't know, some folks that know more about this stuff than I do say they really need to rebuild the whole thing from scratch with a more modern game engine.
Quote Reply

Prev Next