Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tug's Swim-Run-Swim Returns
Quote | Reply

Found this on the Triathlete Mag website. Wish I could be there - sounds like a great time. Plus, I would get to go off in the first wave! Z

Tug's Swim-Run-Swim Returns
By Rob Evans

Many years ago (OK, it was only 20 something), there was a race called Tug's Swim-Run-Swim held in Pacific Beach. Along with the Chuck's Steak House Triathlon (done in reverse order with the always refreshing Run-Bike-Swim format), Tug's was always a favorite of mine. The event was unique, fun and always entertaining. In the spirit of the original race and to hopefully impart a little good natured fun into everyone's Type AA personality, I have decided to resurrect the idea with an organized workout following the original Tug's course. '

When: September 27th, Friday Night at 5:30PM

Where: Pacific Beach ˆ Just North of Crystal Pier (Garnet Street)

Post Race: Beers and Pizza at Filippi's ˆ 962 Garnet Street

There are no entry fees. There are no tee shirts. There are no USAT one day registration fees. This is not a race. There are no permits. This is a casual gathering of friends going for a swim, then a run, then another swim. Period.

The workout starts on the North Side of Crystal Pier and the first swim is around the Pier from North to South (1/2 ˆ ? mile). Swimmers exit the water and run on the beach South to the South Mission Beach Jetty (~5 miles roundtrip). Runners must physically touch the Jetty and run back. Workout is complete once you swim the Pier in reverse (South to North). Exit the water and meet up with family and friends.

Now for the good natured rules:

Wetsuits are allowed - provided that you run the entire distance in them

Shoes are allowed ˆ provided that you swim the entire distance in them

There are no aid stations or refreshments provided ˆ bring your own

There will be 3 waves:

Wave 1 ˆ 5:30 Females and Hairy Legged Men (recent stubble does not count)
Wave 2 ˆ 5:32 Shaved Legs ˆ Men
Wave 3 ˆ 5:35 Shaved Legs ˆ Men with an M-Dot Tattoo visible on Body

There may only be me and my family there on Friday night or we may have many more. In any event, pass this on and I hope to see you in September.

Quote Reply
Re: Tug's Swim-Run-Swim Returns [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good on you..... I will be there to defend my title, of which year I can't remember( I think I have old timers disease). I probably did that old race a dozen times, and have many a tugboat and unique trophy that Tom used to get made down in Mexico. I'm putting out the challenge to all those out there that are always complaining about something( race fees, courses, rules, etc.), to come on out and do some old time racing. If you let a 48 year old man, who is fat, slow, and has a pacemaker, win this race, then you should all bow your heads in shame, and eat a bug.....
Quote Reply
Re: Tug's Swim-Run-Swim Returns [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
September 27th is a Monday night. Was it supposed to read August 27th which is a Friday night then have another in September?
Quote Reply
Re: Tug's Swim-Run-Swim Returns [Fishman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]September 27th is a Monday night. Was it supposed to read August 27th which is a Friday night then have another in September?[/reply]

Either that or the article is from 2002 (in which 9/27 was a Friday)

It's not entirely clear to me what wave I should start in, having hairy legs and an m-dot tattoo.
Quote Reply