Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tour De France Grande Depart Stage 1: Carnage and gaps
Quote | Reply

If you enjoy pro cycling July is better than the Christmas holidays! No prologue this year, we have to wait till stage 3 for the TTT.

In the mean time lots of wind swept racing close to the ocean:

Should be a lot of sprinter stages in the first week including this one, but with a chance for the GC to suffer big gaps from crosswinds.

• Who are you guys picking among the spriniters
  • Which climbers most likely to get caught up in the crosswinds and lose time
  • If France does not beat Uruguay on Friday in the World Cup, how angry will Frence fans be seeing Froome on the tarmac?

OK, let's get it going!!! Come on Cav, pull out some old time magic...and please ASO, don't start throwing out sprinters so that only Damaire is left fighting for stages with Quintana!

This is also a good article by Dane Cash on why he thinks Froome won't win the Tdf:

1. Doing the Giro TdF Double
  2. Time catching up on him
  3. Stress of 9 months AAF case
  4. Depth of field

Last edited by: devashish_paul: Jul 7, 18 16:46
Quote Reply
Re: Christmas Time: Tour De France Grande Depart Stage 1 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure the sprints have ever looked more open! Would love to see Cav roll back the years (good interview with him today -https://www.theguardian.com/...ling-shoulder-injury ), also very excited to see what Gaviria can bring. And with Matthews, Damaire, Kittel, Greipel and Sagan all in the mix there could be some battles royale. Odds most be short on a big crash tomorrow with the yellow jersey up for grabs.

I'm going for Gaviria tomorrow. Think Cav will do better on more technical finishes or where there's a slight incline. Greipel maybe slowing down a tad. Kittel not been in form. Matthews and Sagan I don't think are in quite the same ballpark for outright speed.
Quote Reply
Re: Christmas Time: Tour De France Grande Depart Stage 1 [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The sprints really are wide open! Other years it was a case of figuring out who would sneak in a sprint win here or there while the field was generally dominated by someone like Cav.

Stage 1 is open but I'm going with Sagan outsprinting Gaviria at the line, which will make future stages interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Christmas Time: Tour De France Grande Depart Stage 1 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do I need to buy to make sure I can watch this?
Quote Reply
Re: Christmas Time: Tour De France Grande Depart Stage 1 [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NBC Sports Gold - Cycling package gets you a year subscription to the app and website (June 2018-June 2019) and was $49 a few days ago, I think. You get all tours, all other cycling races, and all other limited cycling content. I purchased it last week.

There may be cheaper/better options, but I've always been happy enough with the NBC products and coverage so I stuck with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gaviria to win Stage 1 and then spend two days in the yellow jersey.

Who will Sky put into the yellow jersey after Stage 3?

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Christmas Time: Tour De France Grande Depart Stage 1 [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Straight to Chris Froome if they win it I reckon. It's not as if he isn't used to dealing with the pressure, and Sky have never shied away from taking the jersey early. Don't think the TTT is a foregone conclusion though, there are some very strong teams who will be targeting it for a stage win.
Quote Reply
Re: Christmas Time: Tour De France Grande Depart Stage 1 [pvolb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pvolb wrote:
NBC Sports Gold - Cycling package gets you a year subscription to the app and website (June 2018-June 2019) and was $49 a few days ago, I think. You get all tours, all other cycling races, and all other limited cycling content. I purchased it last week.

There may be cheaper/better options, but I've always been happy enough with the NBC products and coverage so I stuck with it.

Which is really annoying. Looked at my receipts and in 2016 it was $29. Last year was $39 and this year $49. I'm sensing a pattern. I held my nose when I clicked submit.
Quote Reply
Re: Christmas Time: Tour De France Grande Depart Stage 1 [pvolb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe the Tour is always on NBC sports as well so you won't have to upgrade for this one, but Gold is one channel I wish I had. As well as some channel called ELEVEN. My DVR always records from that channel knowing full well that I can't watch the shit, but it teases me with Triathlon races all the time.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Christmas Time: Tour De France Grande Depart Stage 1 [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
Straight to Chris Froome if they win it I reckon. It's not as if he isn't used to dealing with the pressure, and Sky have never shied away from taking the jersey early. Don't think the TTT is a foregone conclusion though, there are some very strong teams who will be targeting it for a stage win.
Anything can happen (Thomas could crash and bring down the rest of the team?), but it would be surprising, if not shocking, for another team to beat Sky on the TTT.

I'd like to see Sky throw a bone to one of Froome's teammates (why not Kwiatkowski) to let them wear the yellow jersey for a few days.

Two bunch sprints before we get there though. Should be perfect for Gaviria, and Quick Step seems to have their act together this year.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Christmas Time: Tour De France Grande Depart Stage 1 [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
cartsman wrote:

Anything can happen (Thomas could crash and bring down the rest of the team?), but it would be surprising, if not shocking, for another team to beat Sky on the TTT.

I'd like to see Sky throw a bone to one of Froome's teammates (why not Kwiatkowski) to let them wear the yellow jersey for a few days.

Two bunch sprints before we get there though. Should be perfect for Gaviria, and Quick Step seems to have their act together this year.

I would think that BMC and Sunweb should have a solid TTT squad and have a chance to put someone in Yellow?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
cartsman wrote:

I would think that BMC and Sunweb should have a solid TTT squad and have a chance to put someone in Yellow?

there's definitely competition for the TTT, though you'd be brave to bet against sky
if i'm right, the yellow after stage 3 will be based on combined finishing places from the first 3 stages so its likely not the stage 3 winning team's finishing order that will determine who gets yellow.
i agree though, its nice to see teams share these things around the domestiques when they have the chance but sky have not tended to do that as much as other teams
Quote Reply
Re: Christmas Time: Tour De France Grande Depart Stage 1 [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk1 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
cartsman wrote:

there's definitely competition for the TTT, though you'd be brave to bet against sky
if i'm right, the yellow after stage 3 will be based on combined finishing places from the first 3 stages so its likely not the stage 3 winning team's finishing order that will determine who gets yellow.
i agree though, its nice to see teams share these things around the domestiques when they have the chance but sky have not tended to do that as much as other teams

My mind is telling me Sky will win the TTT. I do think that Sunweb and BMC will be fairly close. Hell, Tom D might just pull for Sunweb the whole time. Same goes for King Kung at BMC. I can't wait for the Tour to start. I'm heading over in the third week.
Quote Reply
Re: Christmas Time: Tour De France Grande Depart Stage 1 [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have a blast at the TdF during week 3. Will you be in the Pyranees for the Tourmalet + Aubisque stage? My favourite Tourmalet picture...Anquetil 1963

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any way to legally bet on the winner of the race not in Vegas or AC?
Quote Reply
Re: Christmas Time: Tour De France Grande Depart Stage 1 [RBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am just starting a rumor about a Cervelo S7 because this forum will care more about that than actual races on bikes LOL!!!!

Anyone got any pictures yet????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the real issue is no one cares about flat stages :D (unless there are cobbles of course)
I for one can't wait for it all to start, this year's edition should be the best Tour in a long time. I actually get slightly depressed when it ends.
Quote Reply
Re: Christmas Time: Tour De France Grande Depart Stage 1 [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right, because the climbing stages are so much more exciting...until 2k to go.

The first week isn’t all flat, it’s like 5 classics. If it’s windy tomorrow it could be as awesome as a week 3 stage. At least one GC contender will be a stage hunter by next weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Christmas Time: Tour De France Grande Depart Stage 1 [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should have made that pink, the smilie wasn’t enough.
Quote Reply
Re: NEW CERVELO S8.... Tour De France Grande Depart Stage 1 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don’t know who will be wearing yellow in 3 weeks, but as for the opening stage sprints I predict Peter Sagan to finish 2nd at least twice.
Quote Reply
Re: Christmas Time: Tour De France Grande Depart Stage 1 [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eurosport Player + VPN is a much better option than the NBC Sports Gold pass, it has year-round cycling coverage of most cycling races (all the classics and most road races), and none of the annoying Liggett and Sherwen repetitive error-strewn commentating. It will cost you more, $10/month, but it's a much better value for me personally.
Quote Reply
Re: NEW CERVELO S8.... Tour De France Grande Depart Stage 1 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
EDIT....sinice his forum only cares about gear rather than real humans racing (OK maybe enhanced humans or whatever), the rest of you guys won't be able to help yourselves when the new Cervelo S7 is launched at the TdF

If you enjoy pro cycling July is better than the Christmas holidays! No prologue this year, we have to wait till stage 3 for the TTT.

In the mean time lots of wind swept racing close to the ocean:

Should be a lot of sprinter stages in the first week including this one, but with a chance for the GC to suffer big gaps from crosswinds.

• Who are you guys picking among the spriniters
  • Which climbers most likely to get caught up in the crosswinds and lose time
  • If France does not beat Uruguay on Friday in the World Cup, how angry will Frence fans be seeing Froome on the tarmac?

OK, let's get it going!!! Come on Cav, pull out some old time magic...and please ASO, don't start throwing out sprinters so that only Damaire is left fighting for stages with Quintana!

This is also a good article by Dane Cash on why he thinks Froome won't win the Tdf:

1. Doing the Giro TdF Double
  2. Time catching up on him
  3. Stress of 9 months AAF case
  4. Depth of field

Lol you can always tell a dahavashitsh post even without seeing who posted it

Keep it up man you rebel without a cause!!!

Don’t listen to the haters we all love you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
20 posts about a windy sprint stage and no one has mentioned Groenwegen…

LottoNL-Jumbo are my dark horse this year, in the sprints and the GC.

Quote Reply
Re: Tour De France Grande Depart Stage 1 [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
20 posts about a windy sprint stage and no one has mentioned Groenwegen…

LottoNL-Jumbo are my dark horse this year, in the sprints and the GC.

OK one more night of sleep to the big day!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Tour De France Grande Depart Stage 1 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does not look too windy...Go Cav. Take down that "doper" Merckx
Quote Reply

Prev Next