Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Toss up? IMKY vs Cedar Point for 2010
Quote | Reply
They are both open for general registration. Hard to part with $500 a year out - that is free money to the event.

Reading the IMKY from this past weekend, it seem CP would be the better option; however, that is the inagural one for that area.

Thoughts? (BTW, this would be my first IM).

Mark E. Goldstein, FACHE, FLEXR Sports sponsored, Brittons Tri Force Member, 7x Ironman finisher (10:37:12 PR exact time on 2x IMs), 20x Half Ironman finisher (4:43 PR), 11x Marathon finisher (2:57 PR)
Quote Reply
Re: Toss up? IMKY vs Cedar Point for 2010 [Markster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny, I am debating between the same. Leaning toward the Rev3 Full. I was curious to hear the feedback from IMLOU given the increased field size. Based on what I have been reading so far I am definitely turned off by it. Its unfortunate but it seems obvious the race organizers are using that time trial start as an excuse to sell as many entries as possible regardless of how it effects the athletes. Now you read about the traffic jams on the bike course, pacers on the run, even the less important things like running out of space blankets and finisher hats. Sounds like even some of the volunteers had concers for the athletes.

Having raced the Rev3 Half this year I was so impressed with what they put together in a small town in CT. I've done about 10 IM70.3s and the Rev3 was a much better experience. Given CP will be their first full distance I would imagine they will be well prepared and overstocked on everything. I saw they already have an alternative swim course mapped out if the lake is too rough. Hopefully they will start posting more info on the race itself but in my opinion I think it would be a great experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spoke to the RD for Rev3 a few weeks ago about the CP event - wanted to get some additional information for our local tri club (in Ohio) and I was encouraged by his verbal summary of what is planned for the event. As a first time event it may have minor issues but Rev3 seems to have their act together and appear to be focusing on having a quality event. Based upon my conversation with them, I certainly urged our members to take a hard look at that event as a viable alternative to IM Louisville or IM Wisconsin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is $500 bucks, but did you see what you get for it? 2 park passes are included not to mention all the swag. If you look at it as a direct comparison, the rev3 race is a much better value. of course you have to ask yourself if you are willing to not hear mike reilly at the finish line. I also just started another thread before seeing this one, but they are offering $20,000 in age group prize money as well. Not too shaby
Quote Reply
Re: Toss up? IMKY vs Cedar Point for 2010 [bhube24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It is $500 bucks, but did you see what you get for it? 2 park passes are included not to mention all the swag. If you look at it as a direct comparison, the rev3 race is a much better value. of course you have to ask yourself if you are willing to not hear mike reilly at the finish line. I also just started another thread before seeing this one, but they are offering $20,000 in age group prize money as well. Not too shaby

$500 is pretty steep in my opinion. I would just assume they get rid of the age group money. I was impressed with the 2 swim venues but honestly...who is going to use their free passes for the park on saturday? And the park isn't open on Monday or during the following week so you can't stay longer and use it then.
A bag and a towel and a shirt? I'll pass on those too if I can knock off $100 from the price. And this is coming from a guy who loves indie races. As long as they price them correctly. Honestly, for that money, I would go do Silverman again and then take my wife out for an awesome dinner in Vegas somewhere. Might be nice for families though since the kids can do stuff on Saturday while the racing parent sits in their room. :) I think they have really priced it wrong, but time will tell I suppose.
But I do hope they do well.
Quote Reply
Re: Toss up? IMKY vs Cedar Point for 2010 [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had not doubt after your threads and just proved it by signing up for CP. Thanks

Mark E. Goldstein, FACHE, FLEXR Sports sponsored, Brittons Tri Force Member, 7x Ironman finisher (10:37:12 PR exact time on 2x IMs), 20x Half Ironman finisher (4:43 PR), 11x Marathon finisher (2:57 PR)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was VERY impressed with IMKY this past weekend. It was my first time in Louisville (Worked IM Canada the past three years) and everything about the race was great!

Pre-race - The Galt House was the perfect host hotel - close the the venue and lots of room for the expo and race registration. The expo was very well done and had lots of traffic all three days. The pre-race dinner at the Convention Center was also very nice and having Mike Reilly MC the event this year was great. The bike check-in was flawless with volunteers walking each athlete to their bike rack and showing them the change tents, run-in, bike-out, etc. Gatorade morning swims were well attended at the swim finish with over 800 athletes each day.

Swim - I did not make it down to the swim start, but the swim finish was very nice with lots of volunteers, spectators and music.

Transition - ONE OF BEST in the sport - large, grass field (football field type turf) with plenty of room for athletes and spectators. Some of the other IM transitions are a challenge with size and spectator access, but the Great Lawn in Louisville if a wonderful site.

Bike - Did not see the bike course, so I have no idea what the course is like, but I do know that the bike course director is one of the BEST in the sport - Philip LaHaye - and he was very happy with the course this year.

Run - I got to see about 4 miles of the course and was very impressed with the run - the aid stations were very well done and the road is plenty wide for the course. Very spectator friendly.

Finish Line - WOW - again, I was blow away with this finish line at 4th Street Live - I've been to every IM race in North America and I can honestly say that this is the best finish line in North America. Each IM race has a good finish line, but this one is fantastic with all the activity going on during the day and into the night.

Overall Experience - VERY Positive and I would recommend IMKY to everyone looking for a great IM race in 2010.

Z
Quote Reply
Re: Toss up? IMKY vs Cedar Point for 2010 [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pre race, swim transition, bike, run and finish line. All of those things you mentioned are must haves to pull off any good race. Not sure why you highlight those things as a reason why it is a better choice over Cedar Point.

How about the fact that there is a 95% chance that the temps will be over 90 degrees on race day. Or the fact that the Ohio river is one of the most nasty rivers in the country. What about the running out of finisher hats and space blankets???? If you want to feel like a number, do Louisville. If you want to be taken cared of as an athlete, do a rev3 race. Heather does a fantastic job of making sure all athletes needs are met, as witnesed at their race last year.

As a venue, I am not sure it gets much better then Cedar Point to be honest. Everything you need is right there within 50 yards of the swim start.

The fact that you work for Ironman is also very telling. Why would you not reccomend the race? Seems to me that Cedar Point is the clear choice for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Toss up? IMKY vs Cedar Point for 2010 [bhube24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Pre race, swim transition, bike, run and finish line. All of those things you mentioned are must haves to pull off any good race. Not sure why you highlight those things as a reason why it is a better choice over Cedar Point.

How about the fact that there is a 95% chance that the temps will be over 90 degrees on race day. Or the fact that the Ohio river is one of the most nasty rivers in the country. What about the running out of finisher hats and space blankets???? If you want to feel like a number, do Louisville. If you want to be taken cared of as an athlete, do a rev3 race. Heather does a fantastic job of making sure all athletes needs are met, as witnesed at their race last year.

As a venue, I am not sure it gets much better then Cedar Point to be honest. Everything you need is right there within 50 yards of the swim start.

The fact that you work for Ironman is also very telling. Why would you not reccomend the race? Seems to me that Cedar Point is the clear choice for me.

I'm sure that Rev 3 at Cedar Point will be a very nice race.

I did not recommend IMKY over Rev 3, I just stated my thoughts on the IMKY race. Having experienced all the the IM events in North America I was very impressed with IMKY.

Wonderful aspect about our sport is that athletes have many great events to enter and each of them offers a unique experience. Z
Quote Reply
Re: Toss up? IMKY vs Cedar Point for 2010 [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The title of the post is IMKY VS Cedar Point for 2010 and the end of your post says that you would recommend IMKY to anybody looking for a great race. That to me says you are recommending it over Cedar Point. Im just saying.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's a toss-up, think long term. Are you planning to be around this sport a while doing multiple long distance triathlons? If so, it might be worth taking a chance on a new brand to give the dominant brand some competition. It might serve you better as a consumer in the long run.

OTOH, if this is the only IM you plan to do, you might as well stick with the known brand.

I agree with M~ that I would have liked to have seen Rev3's entry fee below that of IM. Forget about the free Cedar Point tickets. Cut the entry fee and give participants and their families the option to buy discounted tickets if they want to visit the park.
Quote Reply
Re: Toss up? IMKY vs Cedar Point for 2010 [sm2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You do know that the actual starting field was no bigger than say IMWI or IMLP?

I heard other complaints about IML that turned me off.

Personally my biggest issue with that race is the TT start - because you don't know where you are in relation to your competition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't been down to Cedar Point in many years, but when I was there I remember thinking how BAD the roads were. And I was in a truck, not on 25mm clinchers.

I ran a loop of the marathon course on Saturday in Louisville. A nice, flat course with more shade than I thought possible. And it will be hot and humid. I can't wait.

john
Quote Reply
Re: Toss up? IMKY vs Cedar Point for 2010 [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This will be my first but not last. I plan on IMAZ also. The following year a few others.

Quote Reply
Re: Toss up? IMKY vs Cedar Point for 2010 [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This was an illuminating thread in its day of glory just about two months ago, and I'd like to see it back in the mix.

But rather than just an unimaginative "bump", I'll throw in the fact that I will be 61 next year, my kids don't have kids, and so the amusement park passes do nothing for me. I, too, would rather have a reduced entry fee with the option to buy discounted tickets for those who are either toting their family along, or who are just plain young at heart.
Quote Reply