Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tire width list (flat, bead to bead)
Quote | Reply
So there seem to be two reasons people are interested in tire width, for race tires and for running as wide a tire as they can. With the variation in rim widths, it seems like the most reliable way to compare tire widths is by laying it flat and measuring bead to bead. That way when the user has a tire or two to compare, they can predict the tire width on their wheel.

For instance, three un mounted tires I have sitting around are:
Michelin pro light sc 20mm - 57mm
Michelin pro 3 race 23mm - 63mm
Ksyrium elite 25mm - 68mm

Anyone else interested in contributing to such a list? If people are, I could try and track the thread and put all the information in one post.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire width list (flat, bead to bead) [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't you think it's easier to understand when measuring with a caliper mounted and properly pumped up. Tubis also :-)
Got nothing laying around, only mounted.

While looking for a new tubular I found the difference between valve length, that might be interesting as well to list in.

-shoki
Last edited by: shoki: Apr 8, 14 1:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The laid-flat width will give you tire volume, but not width. I think it's a good number, but it doesn't really tell you what the shape will be on a wheel. Both width and height are better. When I was doing Crr measurements, I listed both numbers.
Quote Reply
Re: Tire width list (flat, bead to bead) [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shoki wrote:
Don't you think it's easier to understand when measuring with a caliper mounted and properly pumped up.

Except that the exact same tire, mounted on different width rims will measure differently via calipers in both height and width. And tire pressure affects this as well, a more highly inflated tire will be (slightly) bigger.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the purpose of this data? How will it affect your tire buying and mounting decisions?

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply