Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

The Slowtwitch Peaceful Tribe Still Exists: How about in Paris?
Quote | Reply
OK, who couldnt be blown away by Devavish Pauls experience? How cool is that? We all know just how cool it is!

Now, can we duplicate this? I am off to Paris for business over labor day weekend (ugh!) for a week or two. I will be in a town called Fontennay Aux Roses (SW burbs of Paris) for the following weekend. I could play typical Paris toursist, or, find a way to get a ride in. There is an excellent Forest I have run in before called Mouton La Foret, and I'll likely run there again. But, it would be great to get a ride in over the weekend!

Can the peaceful tribe create a repeat, on the other side of the planet? :) Respond here or send me a PM. Thanks, and great job Mr. Paul!
Quote Reply
Re: The Slowtwitch Peaceful Tribe Still Exists: How about in Paris? [triguyjimbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great Job to Ken Sato in Tokyo.

You should be able to find a bike easily at a store in France. Just pack your shoes, pedals, helmet and riding clothing. France is much more cyclist friendly than Japan. If you have an entire weekend to kill, you can take the TDV bullet train to Geneva. From there, you can hit some pretty kick ass climbs near Chamonix-Mont Blanc or in the Jura Mtn range.
Quote Reply
Re: The Slowtwitch Peaceful Tribe Still Exists: How about in Paris? [triguyjimbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be Fontenay aux Roses and Meudon la Foret.
In Fontenay, traffic tends to be heavy, however you can drive west (or ride, it's heavy but people are used to bikes) and in 20min or so, you will be in Vallee de Chevreuse, which is definitely the best riding area around Paris. Plenty of small climbs (2 to 5km, up to 18-20% for the tough ones, not over 5km of course).

In Chateaufort (Vallee de Chevreuse) you can see a wall dedicated to Jacques Anquetil, who was from there.

Meudon la Foret is perfect for running. You can run on the flat or make your runs really hilly.

There is also a pool in Meudon and a Tri club. If you PM me, I can give you the details of a few there so you can get someone to show you the good spots.
Quote Reply
Re: The Slowtwitch Peaceful Tribe Still Exists: How about in Paris? [FM.2.0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks ST'ers. There is a peacful tribe here! (see, swimfan, its not all bad) Great idea to head for Geneva, or cruise in the best riding spots of Paris. If you all have any more ideas, keep them coming. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, in that case, another option is to take the TGV to Strassbourg. From there you have awesome riding on either side of the Rhine river. On the French side, you have the Vosges, and on the German side the Black Forest. For example in the Vosges you have Gerardmer, former location of Ironman France. In 1990, I found really nice ride east of Strassbourg to Obernai. Get a Michelin map and ride all the small "yellow routes"

Frankly the riding in the Vosges or the Black Forest is much better than the Alps. More 5-10K climbs of which you can do several in a day rather than the one or two if you hit the 20K climbs in the Alps.
Quote Reply
Re: The Slowtwitch Peaceful Tribe Still Exists: How about in Paris? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cham is not great for climbs its self because there is literally only one road in and out of the valley

Plus train changes up to cham are awkward - i think bourg st maurice or stopping before cham and going up to morzine offers more variety - whichever is easiest bt tgv

Cham does have an amazing 50m outdoor pool looking up at MB and good trail running as well
Quote Reply
Re: The Slowtwitch Peaceful Tribe Still Exists: How about in Paris? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ST glitches sometimes and displays really old posts on the front page. It just did that last week, actually.

Or he was searching for something, forgot he was in search results and replied to what looked interesting.

Anyway, a timely bump. I'll be in Paris in a couple of weeks. Not planning any tri activity though.

Edit: well the post I replied to was deleted so this looks out of place now.....
Last edited by: Dilbert: May 2, 17 13:13
Quote Reply