Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimming Philadelphia Suburbs
Quote | Reply
Hey ST,
I will be in Hatfield/Lansdale/Philly next week.....
Anyone live near North Wales/Montgomeryville/Lansdale area and know of a decent pool to swim in? I know there is the Y but, is there anything else out there?
Thanks, and happy training.
-k
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Philadelphia Suburbs [trichef] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Germantown Acadamy, in Ambler, has a pool - and some sort of masters swimming as well. Never gone, but it has a generally good rep, AFAIK. Not far from N. Wales.

Also, if you're bringing your bike down, there's some really good riding out by Lansdale. Let me know if you want more info/maps etc.

-Charles
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Philadelphia Suburbs [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
any idea if GA will be open during the holiday season and if the pool is open to the public?
Thanks -k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
none at all, sorry. i've never swum there myself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have a USMS card, I think you can get into GA. For other options, try this: http://www.swimmersguide.com/...h3.cfm?CountyID=1879
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Philadelphia Suburbs [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Also, if you're bringing your bike down, there's some really good riding out by Lansdale. Let me know if you want more info/maps etc.

-Charles

I live in KOP and am always looking for new local routes if you cue sheets and/or map. I'll PM you my email if you are willing to share.

Thanks,
-tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
any idea if GA will be open during the holiday season and if the pool is open to the public?
Thanks -k
I'm sure the pool will be open, but finding a time when the USS team or the age groupers are not swimming there might be a challenge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In center city Philadelphia there are masters practices (USMS card needed) every Tuesday and Thursday 7:00 -8:30 pm and Saturday and Sunday 9:30-11:00 am. The only canceled practice is Tuesday December 25. Google the Fins Aquatic Club for location and contact information. Tim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The masters program at Germantown Academy is excellent--http://www.bee.net/...ermantownAcademy.htm has the scoop, e-mail Laurie to find out if they're practicing next week.

There's a pool at the LA Fitness in Montgomeryville. It only has 4 lanes, but it's generally not too busy. I think they require you to be a semi-local resident for a trial pass, but I'm not sure how strict they are about that--might be worth a try.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming Philadelphia Suburbs [BPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the info thus far. It would be very nastalgic too to swim at my alma mater NPHS, any word if that pool is open to non-HS swimmers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is adult lap swim at NPHS, limited evening hours a few days a week, but you have to be a member of the community aquatics program. Membership is inexpensive and gets you a few free sessions. Looks like the pool is closed 12/21 and 12/18. I don't know if it's possible to join the program in time for next week, but info is here:

http://www.npenn.org/...av=|&NodeID=2343
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come on by and swim with us at Germantown Academy! (And this goes out to all in the Philly area, not just visitors - we happily welcome triathletes!) Cost is $7 per practice for single sessions. If you aren't a USMS member you would just need to fill out the application before getting in (wouldn't need to pay the $30 if you are just coming for a week or two).

We will have practice Christmas week and New Year's week on Wed & Friday...though I still have to determine the practice times by consensus of members this week. Probably will be held at 5:30 or 6pm next week. Contact me at GAAC_masters@yahoo.com to confirm time. Just be forewarned that we are doing a 45 min swim for distance next week during practice. There will be an alternative practice on Friday though. If you are in town this upcoming Fri, we have our annual 100 repeats - swimmer gets to choose the distance (ranging from 25 yards to 150 yards) while the coach determines the send off times (typically something between 1 min and 1:45).

Villanova MAY also be holding workouts but I am not sure.

-leh
Quote Reply