Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sub 3:30 HIM or 70.3 (Can it be done)
Quote | Reply
Is it possible that one day someone will break the 3:30 time in a Half Ironman / 70.3 distance race?

They said breaking the 4 minute mile was impossible. Done.
They said breaking 8 hours in an Ironman was highly unlikely. Done.

The Olympic distance times are always under the 1hr 50mins now. In every race. They are getting very fast.

Is the 3:30 time in trouble?

If so is there someone around today that could do it?

My opinion is that someone from the ITU series is the person that could do it. Maybe Andy Potts...
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 3:30 HIM or 70.3 (Can it be done) [triblew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
20:00; 2:00; 1:10 = 3:30 and that's without transitions. I think sub 3:40 would be the more realistic time. I don't think anyone has gone under 3:40. Crowie went 3:45 or so at Clearwater last year.

http://www.mountainmettle.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say if anyone could do it it'd be Hamish Carter in the form he was in at Athens.

Having said that 3.30 is a lil unrealistic...
Last edited by: fulla: Jun 4, 07 17:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it could it will be done on the bike... What was that split Bjorn put down in Florida? The average speed on the bike was boggling. The fastest Tour TT average is over 34 mph I think (Zabriske?). If we see bike splits like that combined with world-class running it is possible.

This reminds me of the "dream relays" from previous years where a world class athlete in each discipline does their leg in a relay triathlon. Those are interesting- they never seem to produce remarkable results.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easily ...... all you have to do is get some ITU people to measure the course :) ..... remember a few years back when they screwed up the women's race and the run was only about 7.5 or 8k?
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 3:30 HIM or 70.3 (Can it be done) [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Tom...so you''re saying that if someone rides like Zabriskie and runs like Tergat, and swims ok, we should see it...that's really a scoop you have here ;-)

19min swim - 1h54 ride - 59min run + 2min transition = 3h14

indeed...that's under 3h30
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 3:30 HIM or 70.3 (Can it be done) [Spindogg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think you could trim a tiny bit of fat from that bike split...but you'd need perfect conditions (road, weather), possibly a point-to-point with favourable winds. fwiw, Andrew Johns went 3:38 flat at Antwerp last year as discussed in a thread yesterday. of course, say what you will about the accuracy of the course... ;)

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If we use these splits, which seem pretty balanced, that breaks down to:

1 min/100 meters on the swim
28 mph or ~45kmh on the bike
5:20/mile or 3:20/km run

As you said, this doesn't even include transitions. I really doubt there's an athlete capable of maintaining that kind of speed for that long of a race, especially if the course is even slightly challenging. In last year's Lifetime Fitness (non-drafting) Triathlon, Hunter Kemper - a top ITU guy - had these average speeds:

1:12/100 m swim
26.3 mph bike
5:15/mile run

This was an Olympic distance race. I can't see somebody actually going faster over a distance that is more than twice as long on the bike and run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Macca could probably do it :-P

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Crowie went 3:45 or so at Clearwater last year

He did that with cruising down the carpet, and turning around and blowing kisses to the crowds before crossing the finish. He could probably have gone under 3:44 if he had hammered it all the way home. Of course, there was picture perfect conditions for the race last November. Calm water, no real currents, pancake flat bike, winds under 5 mph max, reasonably flat run with four bridge crossings, but good temperatures in the mid 70s and some light cloud cover.

If you up the level of competition with the same course and conditions, I think 3:40 or there abouts is within reach.

3:30 OTOH, is years away, if it does occur in my lifetime. But, who knows, there could be some new technology on the bike that changes everything.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At Antwerp

1 Johns Andrew CH* PRO 1 0:20:19 1:59:07 1:18:34 3:38:00
2 Beke Rutger TDL PRO 2 0:21:48 1:59:26 1:19:04 3:40:18
3 Jacobs Pete AUS* PRO 3 0:20:11 2:02:02 1:20:40 3:42:53
4 Jammaer Bert LTTL PRO 4 0:21:17 2:04:26 1:18:54 3:44:37
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 3:30 HIM or 70.3 (Can it be done) [Erik Clark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh! You are such a bad bad boy!

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 3:30 HIM or 70.3 (Can it be done) [Erik Clark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If Macca could break 3:30 for a 70.3 then he would have also won Hawaii by now. :) jk
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 3:30 HIM or 70.3 (Can it be done) [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Short course is the easy way, failing that, a lead vehicle that gives a very nice draft will help by 5-10minutes. It is possible - just need a good athlete, in good form, with favourable conditions... It will happen some time....
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 3:30 HIM or 70.3 (Can it be done) [tonyoh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Point to point with a healthy tailwind...

Re: Sub 3:30 HIM or 70.3 (Can it be done) [bcg7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow that's insane---sub 3:40

http://www.mountainmettle.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When EPO is as rampant in triathlon as it is in cycling, it will be done.

Until then, Macca may do it. LOL
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 3:30 HIM or 70.3 (Can it be done) [ronnieg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EPO won't help them do a sub 3:30 Ronnie.

EPO would help if you did an Ironman a day for 15 days straight.

Yeah I think Macca could do it if there was a $$$ incentive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]EPO won't help them do a sub 3:30 Ronnie.

EPO would help if you did an Ironman a day for 15 days straight.

Yeah I think Macca could do it if there was a $$$ incentive.[/reply]

Huh?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's what's possible in the near future, on an accurate course. Those times from Andrew John's race are definately off, in fact it looks like the swim and bike were way short, but the run could have actually been long. KInd of matters where the transition times are sitting in there..

On a legit fast course, let's take the fastest splits that guys have done now. A 21 low in a wetsuit for the swim, about 2 flat for the bike, and a 1:12 for the run...If my math is right, that is 3:33 without transitions. Add a couple minutes for that, and you get 3:35, and these are all splits that guys have done in a race, not stand alone times. Of course the same guy did not do all 3 of these splits, but you can safely say, that if you add two minutes to two of the splits, and assume the guy doing this time would have one of them, then you get 3:39. That's what is possible now, given the right course, conditions, and competition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you had a draft legal bike ride, I think it could start to get near that 3:30 mark. Otherwise I'm not sure if it;s possible clean.

And EPO would have a positive effect on a one day race. Even sprinters now are using EPO (to aid recovery between multiple heats in a day). EPO aids in the production of red blood cells which can enhance your ability to bring oxygen to your muscles. It's not just for stage races, it's impact is even better for those events, but it does help in the one day events as well.

Adam

Euro-Sports.ca/The Foodery Team member
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am absolutely sure that CHUCK NORRIS could do it under 2:30hs, replacing 2 flat tires.

"To be stupid, selfish, and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost. "
Gustave Flaubert
Quote Reply
Re: Sub 3:30 HIM or 70.3 (Can it be done) [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All kidding aside and all you said, I think it's pretty immpossible for anyone to go 3:30.

Even Macca or Potts won't come close.

Who can possibly put together a 21:00 / 2:00 / 1:12 / :02 / 3:35 all in one day , let alone go 3:30 flat?

No way.
Quote Reply