Post deleted by Kenney
Last edited by: Kenney: Jul 14, 08 15:04
Re: Sorry pc3 guys, I will take this! [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
have fun riding that steep.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When is someone going to make the little leap left, and strap on the aero bars to the sides of the forks, getting rid of everything above the head tube?

Enquiring minds ...

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: Sorry pc3 guys, I will take this! [nproximos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude I could never afford it or ride it. My Tri's are on a road bike. I can not ride that steep. I just like it better! Cheers

Did you mean that steep as in angle? Or the cockpit drop? Bjorn could do it!!
Last edited by: Kenney: Jul 14, 08 15:25
Quote Reply
Re: Sorry pc3 guys, I will take this! [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At first look(in the small picture) it reminded me of Indurains frankenstein bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Sorry pc3 guys, I will take this! [nproximos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
have fun riding that steep.

That looks like Evans' bike. He doesn't really ride particularly "steep" IMHO...he just apparently has Orangutan arms! That requires him to have his bars pretty darn low even though the "peak" of his helmet is still significantly above the high point of his back:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...photo_0028701_1_full

The "downsloping" top tube contributes to the "steep" illusion as well...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
When is someone going to make the little leap left, and strap on the aero bars to the sides of the forks, getting rid of everything above the head tube?

Enquiring minds ...
No, the proper setup will be to have the stem exit the head tube. Looking from the side the head tube will essentially look like a C with the stem sticking out. You will get as low as needed with that and have the added advantage of better aerodynamics for the frame since there would no longer be any drag from the head tube (and the drag from the bars is going to be there anyways). I keep kicking around the idea of building one myself but haven't decided what the rest of the bike should look like.

http://www.kickballracing.com
I have many hobbies...make that too many.
Quote Reply
Re: Sorry pc3 guys, I will take this! [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow haha, youre right... those are some big ass arms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From Cozybeehive's blog:
Ridley Dean : 'The Fastest Bike in The World' Part 2
I thought my first take on the Ridley Dean bike was a little shabby for my tastes.

So here's a second part to it and some more added thoughts.

Some asked me through comments whether these so called surface textures on the Dean frame are the same deal as dimples on a golf ball?

I will tell you I'm no expert but I do have a BASIC understanding of golf balls.

A golf ball in air is a rotating body. If you give them a critical amount of dimples (too many is counterproductive, too less is simply not enough) on the surface, it'll "catch" a small area of turbulent air around the boundary layer and this turbulent layer causes the air to 'stick' onto the ball. The trailing air will have hence have a longer separation point in its wake which ultimately means less drag and a more long, nice looking streamlined flow.

So is this what the Dean frame is mimicking?

Maybe.

The theory I think is essentially the same here too, but these are no dimples. They are just rough surface textures done here and there. I dont have a microscopic image of what they look like, so I wont call them dimples just yet anyway.

While dimples in golf balls in addition to the Magnus lift effect due to ball backspin have really solid and verified benefits, I'm not really sure about the practicalities for Zipp's wheels or ... the Dean, if any reasonable numbers are out there yet.

But hey, a golf ball is a golf ball. Typical velocities at impact are 60-70 m/s and spin rate is 3000rpm+. I'm not sure whether you want to compare golf balls with Zipp wheels or Ridley's new frame.

So what good is frame texturing to a cyclist? You decide with your money and your head.

Ben Atkins of Cycling News has done a good job with getting us laymen some pictures of the bike. I'll spoil it and put some arrows in them too so we all can see whats going on.

FRAME TEXTURE

Theoretical Benefits : Getting turbulent air onto the boundary layer, increasing separation point on the trailing side yada yada.

Here are two places they did this :

Click to zoom

SLOTTED AIRFOIL ON FORKS

In airplanes, control devices called slots on wings are can be fixed or moving.

Remember this? You probably must have seen it through the window seat the last time you flew.

Benefit of slotted airfoils in aircraft : Click this to read.

NOTE : I'm not an airplane guy but I understand some of my readers are from the Boeing company. Please improvise in comments if you do read this. What exactly is a slotted wing doing to airflow and talk about the benefits?

Anyway, so similar idea done on Ridley Dean's fork :

So this is supposed to create vacuum around the tire and spokes and decrease drag by 7.5%, and results from tests show that it saves 45watts when ridden at 45 kmph (28mph) ?? It cuts 8X more drag from the fork and spokes area than normal bikes?

Whoa whoa whoa, slow down there. One at a time. Sorry Ridley, can't believe it unless you prove it to us. Take the pen away from the marketing guys.

Give us a graph, a video in the wind tunnel ---- > something we can actually see to believe. For now I like your sharp design, but I'm not buying the specific claims you make about the "fastest bike in the world".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because you've seen numbers showing it surpasses or at least is in the same aerodynamic zip code with the P3C?
Quote Reply
Re: Sorry pc3 guys, I will take this! [Litespeedx3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Enquiring minds ...
No, the proper setup will be to have the stem exit the head tube. Looking from the side the head tube will essentially look like a C with the stem sticking out. You will get as low as needed with that and have the added advantage of better aerodynamics for the frame since there would no longer be any drag from the head tube (and the drag from the bars is going to be there anyways). I keep kicking around the idea of building one myself but haven't decided what the rest of the bike should look like.

A few athletes have Walsers with exactly this configuration, Nicole Cooke is one of them from memory

Xav

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got a chance to see the Ceepo Venoms in the flesh this weekend and its a SEX MACHINE.
Quote Reply
Re: Sorry pc3 guys, I will take this! [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Geez guys, I just like the bike. I am not that anal or that smart! Its just a sweet machine. It never occured to me when I posted this that people would compare (if fit and body postion was the same) that I am claiming it is seconds faster or slower. Yes seconds, otherwise everone in the tour would be just be riding badged bikes. I do not know what one is exactly faster. I am to slow to care :)!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want it. Just because it's a little slacker and a little lower, and cause it looks great.

I watch the tour, I know it's faster than a cervelo!
Mwahahahaha.
Quote Reply
Re: Sorry pc3 guys, I will take this! [megathumpzilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys are right. Sorry for the post. Never meant to claim I knew better. Removing the post.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Enquiring minds ...

Chris G once made the humorous remark that one could just attach the aero bars to either side of the wheel skewer in front, and be done with it. ;-)

Pretty bike. My bike is "dimpled" too - I don't clean it very often, so it has caked gu and inifnit splatter all over it.
No wonder I bike so fast, I've accidentally discovered the next aero revolution!!! : )

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Sorry pc3 guys, I will take this! [megathumpzilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh, thanks for the insult.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually like the bike. It seems to have all the elements of a fututre tri/tt frame design.
Nose cone matched with front fork, behind the fork under the bb brakes. Rear wheel hugging seat tube.
The slots on the fork from Oval Tech, seatstays & dimpled surface are also nice.
However I am 5-6" so I'm wondering how the forward sloping top tube design on the XS frame my size will look.
The Ridely website has not responded to my querries (it's been more than a week) though Competitive Cylist has.
Stocks are supposed to arrive September.
Quote Reply
Re: Sorry pc3 guys, I will take this! [campled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

dean frame

dean bike

the frame is painted with a particular oil paint (oil-mapping tech) to see the "movement" of turbulence and wind on the frame, and to determine where to put the "r-surface"

noah frame

we spend some money for the marketing guys....(perhaps not as many as others)...but we spend some (big) moneys also in the wind tunnel..
(sorry...need to wait some more for the data of the tests...)

ciao!

edit: i've got some problems with the photos...I hope that now they are clear and visible.......
Last edited by: Guslo: Jul 16, 08 13:34
Quote Reply
Re: Sorry pc3 guys, I will take this! [Guslo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply