Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shin Pain 17 days away from IMOO
Quote | Reply
OK... this may take a while to explain so be patient. Some history. I have always had sore shins every since I can remember, they just are sensitive when I increase my miles. I also have a history of bad luck...3 weeks before Madison Marathon in 2006 I stress fractured my calcaneous and later that year 3 weeks before Chicago Marathon I broke my collarbone in a bike accident. So over the past several weeks I have been rehabbing a sore hip from weak glute muscles and am not hopefully over that. Last Saturday I did a 95 mile ride followed by a 12 mile run...I felt good. This week I ran 5 miles on Tuesday and 5 on Thursday and noticed my shins are sore. I have been pressing on the bone and can't find any tender spot on the bone and so Ithink it is more muscular...lower inside calf. Also my miles haven't really increased since my miles are actually down in comparison to previous weeks since I cut back due to sore hip/hamstring.

With 17 days to IMOO, do I just continue to ride and swim and exchange the runs for the eliptical or do I try to do a couple of runs and test it out. I guess at this point I would rather be a bit underprepared but healthier than worried about my shins.

Please no condescending remarks about first time IM'ers....I have trained for a long time for this, endured two collarbone fractures and really want to cross the finish line on 9/9/07
Quote Reply
Re: Shin Pain 17 days away from IMOO [MadisonMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
REST IT! DON'T TEST IT.

btw - I am giving an Ironman Wisconsin seminar at the Trek Store West, this coming Tuesday the 28th at 6pm. Free food, raffle and quite a few hand outs to take. It will probably help you out as the race gets close

blake

www.blakebecker.com

Professional Triathlete
Owner of Blake Becker Multisport Coaching LLC / Team BBMC
blakebeck@gmail.com
http://www.teambbmc.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always have sore shins. The key for me is to ice my lower legs down with an ice massage after every run, and even on off days when I'm starting back up after a break or in a high focus week.

I freeze several cups of ice in styrofoam and use it to ice massage the insides of my shins, or anywhere else that is sore. I spend 10 minutes on an area, then switch to another area and come back if I feel I need it.

My shins are still sore if I push on them, but it doesn't seem to progress or hurt while I run at all.

This procedure has been a key part in getting past chronic shin splints. Now I'm addicted to ice as an anti-inflammatory, I use it on anything in my lower legs that get sore. It's a nice way to unwind at night, sitting in front of the TV icing my legs.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: Shin Pain 17 days away from IMOO [Blakebeck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So is the eliptical a wise choice?? and bike/swim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take an ice bath and some pills. Maybe try the stick on those muscles out the outer shin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
google "medial tibial stress syndrome"

Ice is helpful. So is rest, obviously. If you are a serious pronator, this can contribute - so having your running gait/biomechanics checked out are important. Good luck and finish strong!

Quote | Reply
You win the award. One of the weird parts of my mind is that I remember everything that is not important but the important stuff is hit and miss. In the last 3 months you have posted about a broken clavicle, piriformis, a bad hamstring and now shins. You have won just making it to the line. Good luck.
------------

Born again Heathen
In Case of Keith Moon - Break This Glass
Ironman Certified Coach
USAT Certified Coach
Precision Nutrition Certified
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MadisonMan - one thing I will recommend, and I wager I'll get flamed for this (I'm not a run coach, and IMWI in 2 weeks is also my first IM - conrgats on getting there!), I would HIGHLY recommend some leg strength training (quads specifically) in addition to the other recommendations.

Normally doing leg strength training is not recommended prior to a race of this magnitude, however I speak from experience. Last year 4 weeks out from a HIM, I broke my toe and could not run at all. I could still swim and bike, so that's all I did. When it came to race day, my running legs (quads mainly) had been weakened enough that it was PAINFUL. They cramped very badly because they just weren't used to be used in the way running uses your legs.

So - if at all possible, and I'm not talking about major heavy lifting, but do something with your quads to make sure when it comes to the run, your day won't be ruined. Lunges and leg extensions should be enough to do it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quote Reply
Re: Shin Pain 17 days away from IMOO [cooterbob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cooterbob, you're right!!! In the past year...2 broken collarbones, hip/hamstring issues requiring PT and not shin pain...no piriformous (knock on wood). It has been a journey!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MM,

Sounds like you need to pull out the big guns at this point. I recommend that you find a CryoCuff (no, I don't represent the company) ASAP and use it religiously between now and IMOO. You should use it, or an equivalent product, several times a day (no less than 30 minutes at a shot). I have used one for several injuries, including the latest one to my knee requiring surgery, and am a big believer in its combined icing/compression benefits. You can find one at www.cryocuff.com, and some chain drugstores carry either the cryocuff or something equivalent.

As to the other part of your question, I would not run a step on the roads between now and IMOO if I were you. Pool running, maybe, but you are beyond the point where more road miles are going to make or break your race.

VR,

BH

"No reserves, no retreat, no regrets..." William Borden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been dealing with shin pain for the last several months and a friend got me into TP massage balls. I got them last week after timberman and they are making a world of difference.
http://www.tpmassageball.com/ Endorsed by Peter Reid, Chris Lieto Kate Major. There worth checking out. I got the whole set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
REST, ICE, and Anti-inflams is your only hope this close. What shoe are you training in?

Jamie Dick PT, SCS, CPed
http://www.footrx.com
jamie@footrx.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rroof and the PT gave some good advice. I know there are two ART doc's in Madison. A trip to them would be a wise investment. www.activerelease.com They have a referral directory on their site.

Elizabeth, does ART, here in MKE is good 414-543-9936

Hope this helps.

Matt Amman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the book Chi Running by Danny Dreyer. I had seroius lower leg pain (calf and shin) and couldn't run more than 10k without getting into problems. I saw 3 different physical therapists over 2 years with only marginal improvment. After just some basic changes to my stride that I learned from the book (specifically keeping my foot limp, focusing on lifting my front leg forward (as opposed to pushing with my back leg), and getting the right lean) the pain was gone. It took less than 2 weeks to notice a significant improvement. While there's no guaranty for a quick fix to allow you to run a marathon 2 weeks from now with no problems this is a minimal investment and could make a huge difference (it did for me).

No, this is not a paid endorsement.

Best of luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, I feel your pain... maybe literally. I mean, my whole freakin' body hurts right now.

One really good piece of advice I read here was "rest it.. don't test it".

In the odd turnabout of things like this you may find the rest you give yourself because of the symptoms actually help you have a better race.

In any event, I hope to see you at the start line and more importantly- at the finish line.

Best of luck my friend.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply