Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running shoes for high arch athletes
Quote | Reply
Hey all,

For you people that are of the "high-arch club" .

Has anybody found a model /brand they found to be more suitable than others.

I do not supinate or pronate inparticularly.

Average 50-60km's weekly.

I am an "average" runner ( 3.32 stand-alone marathon ).

Presently I train/race with New Balance and Asics ( 10 -15 various models ).

Thanks in advance and a safe/productive weekend to all :)

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes for high arch athletes [canuck8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mizuno
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mizuno Wave Runners. I also get custom footbeds. Expensive but they've made a huge difference.

Quote | Reply
I wear Saucony Grid 3d - you want a soft, cushy, flexible shoe to make up for the fact that, with a high arch, your foot is anything but flexible. But the key is custom orthodics to keep those arches from dropping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
High arch alone isnt enough to recommend a shoe. And what do you want to get out of the shoe? Do you like cushion? Lightweight?

All that being said I have a freakishly high arch. Plus I have the classic symptoms that go with it… rigid foot, under pronation (pronation in a foot is good, the movement it causes is bad). All that being said I love the Mizuno Wave Riders for a trainer, and the Mizuno Wave Precision (lightweight version of the rider = lower cushion) is a good one. Also shoes like the Asics Gel Landreth, Nike Air Vomero, and Saucouny Paramount have been good.

I work in a running store and have tried everything on. Their isn’t one brand for a “high arch”, but there is defiantly a category of shoes that would probably work.

10 -15 models of shoes seems like overkill, and a lot of them are probably completely wrong for your foot type. Tell me a little more about what you want from a shoe I can try and recommend some stuff for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Running shoes for high arch athletes [ChadOber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the Mizuno Wave Rider 10.

I used to run in the Adidas Rotterdam CC's but those are discontinued.

Proud Member of the Guru Cartel, EH?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yet another vote for Mizuno. Wave Riders are supposed to be good for neutral runners. I use Wave Creations, because I supinate.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a look into Sole Custom Footbeds - heat moldable for a custom fit with great support and cushion - you can get them in the ultra-cushion or lightweight version.

*** CAUTION : Poster owns a triathlon store ***

Alfred Olivetti | Go Tri Sports
http://www.gotrisports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't worry so much about the fact that a shoe touts high arch, neutral, position support, etc. Pure marketing. We all have different strides, feet, and foot strike. Even those of us that have high arches, or over pronate, etc. don't do it in the same way. Better to get a shoe based on comfort and fit and drop in inserts. Besides, you'll have more choices if you selectyt a shoe for comfort over your full stride (heal strike to toe push). Stock insoles for shoes are like generic pedals and seats for bikes. Discount the stock insole and grab at least an arch cushion/support insert. That being said I find that Asics Gel Nimbus 9 or Saucony ProGrid Triumph 4, both with a $6 arch cushion insert fit the bill just fine for long or short distances. Both shoes feel roomy, like socks, in the toe box and nicely support from ball to heal. Saucony though has a more plush heal strike, so for me the shoe for long runs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NB 1061
I have very high arches and nothing else has worked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually run in Mizuno Creations ... I have high arches and suffered from plantar faciitis (?) ... these provide great cushion without feeling pillowy ... and my foot problems have slowly but surely gone away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have stated - another vote for the Mizuno Wave Rider 10.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I have had two pairs of Wave Riders, which were OK, I have landed on NB802 (formerly 800 and 801. I gone through five pair in the past few years. They seem to wear out pretty quickly, but they are relatively inexpensive. Every time I try to switch, I go back to these. I have a very high arch and need cushioning. I need a wide shoe so my orthotics fit inside. One tip if you haven't come across it - don't run the laces over your arch. Thread them up each side in the middle of the shoe for two or three holes until you clear the arch and then cross again at the top. This is less important if you're using Yanks or something similar - but it works with them as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks very much to all who have responded.

There is a lot of great advice here and some strong favouritism for certain brands and models.

I am aware that the choice requires substantially more info than I originally provided , but the answers I have received here are sufficient.
Thanks very much again.

Terry

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply