Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Racing Flats
Quote | Reply
Time for a new pair of racing flats. My current ones are the Brooks T3. I'm thinking of buying the Brooks T5 or T6 tomorrow. Anyone have any thoughts pro or con on them or other racing flats that they really like?
Quote Reply
Re: Racing Flats [MPB1950] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T5's are nice but they wear out fast. The Asics Hyperspeeds are similar but maybe a little softer, and they don't wear as fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are looking for a marathon shoe, I'd check Nike Lunar Racers.
I've had the Asics Hyperspeeds I and II. The II is a bit softer but narrower in the front.
Otherwise, Brooks seems a sweet choice but I never ran any.

Quote | Reply
I am a huge fan of the Saucony Fasttwitch Type A2's.
I see they are on the A3's now, but have no personal experience with those.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing Flats [uli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If you are looking for a marathon shoe, I'd check Nike Lunar Racers.

Thanks for the input but I would only be looking for a marathon shoe if I once again contracted the dreaded long distance virus. I have not done a marathon since 1981. A 10k is like a marathon for me these days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Lunar Racers are actually some of the lightest flats you can find so don't let the marathon recommendation put you off on them. They're around 6 ounces. The Brooks might be lighter but not by much.

Difference is the Lunar Racers are extremely well cushioned so if that does not suit you, I would avoid them.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing Flats [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Difference is the Lunar Racers are extremely well cushioned so if that does not suit you, I would avoid them.
That's why I said "marathon". I do short races only in my run down Lunar Racers.

Quote | Reply
I'm a fan of the Fastwitch 3's too.

I don't know if they are classified as a racing flat but they sure do feel like it to me.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Brooks T5/T6 are hard to beat.

I have a pair of Avia Bolts that are really nice also.

It would be a toss up on those two.

I would like to try to the Lunar Racer as the trainer is great. But, the upper of the Lunar Racer has me a little bit scared.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried Lunaracers for a 5ish mile run yesterday and found they were too narrow, a shame as the weight really is incredible and they felt more than padded enough. The Brooks T6 felt too narrow for me as well. Can you recommend other flats that people like up to marathon distance? Thoughts on Mizuno (which I really like)? Anything from Asics, but lighter than the DS Trainer?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love my Saucony Fastwitch (if you need a little bit of medial posting) and the Saucony A2's if you are pure neutral. I also love my Asics DS racers, which were discontinued, but I understand that they are coming back into the 2010 lineup, so I can have a new pair for next season.

Quote | Reply
always a fan of the asics gel racers I thru V. the new bandito feels pretty similar.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Michael in Fresno
"Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man" V. Corleone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some of my Fav flats:

-Avia Bolt II's (considered a flat but i consider them lightweight trainers)
-Asics Hyperspeed II (less padding than avia but much lighter, a true flat)
-Nike XC Streak 2 (these were just released but i tried them on and they felt good SUPER LIGHT, true flat. I haven't logged any miles in them so cant comment too much)
-Mizuno Wave universe 3's (looks like a great shoe super light but a bit pricey)

And the K-swiss racing flats are yet to be released. Might be released at kona but they look to be some awesome shoes!
Quote Reply
Re: Racing Flats [3carlos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I tried Lunaracers for a 5ish mile run yesterday and found they were too narrow, a shame as the weight really is incredible and they felt more than padded enough. The Brooks T6 felt too narrow for me as well. Can you recommend other flats that people like up to marathon distance? Thoughts on Mizuno (which I really like)? Anything from Asics, but lighter than the DS Trainer?

You might just want your feet get used to narrow shoes for racing. If you race hard enough, any discomfort from slightly too narrow shoes will be overridden by pain of intensity. Tight fit = fast. Seriously!

Asics Hyperspeed II are good but also fairly narrow.
Mizuno Wave Universe 3. Never ran in them but they could be quite cool.
Try Adidas flats.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Anything from Asics, but lighter than the DS Trainer?

Speedstars. Technically a lightweight trainer/racer over a pure flat, but they are def. lighter than the DS Trainers, esp. the new DS.

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, I'd seen the Speedstar and the Hyperspeed but didn't try them, those sound like good leads. I guess my worry with overly narrow shoes is getting wicked hot spots, even blisters, over the course of a marathon.

By the way Uli, I like your mzungu link :) I ran the Kampala marathon a few years ago and am pretty certain I finished first place mzungu - in a less than blazing 3:50. Hard course though, hot and hilly, diminished air quality by late morning, and did have to dodge a few motorcycles on the "closed" course. Ran it in some blown out DS Trainers. I'll hang on to the Lunaracers and try to adapt over shorter distances but am going to try your and others suggestions for alternatives. Thank you for the ideas.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing Flats [3carlos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Carlos.
Should you ever do another exotic marathon like Kampala, we would be greatful for a report!
Cheers
Uli

Quote | Reply
Do you have the original bolts or the bolt II's?

How light are they and how flexible?
Quote Reply
Re: Racing Flats [benzinobrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe they are the IIs. They are black/red/yellow sole. I posted a short review to my blog last week. I like the fit, I like the laces. They feel light, but I haven't compared them to the Brooks T5s. They are nice and flexible. The only 'issue' that I have, and it's a small one, is that the carbon 'post' at the arch seems to sit a bit too far back (towards the heel). And, they are a little 'flashy' for me. I have run as long as 10-12 miles in them in training with no issues.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: Racing Flats [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the fastwitch as well. Any similar shoe with a more durable outsole. I seem to chew through these pretty easily in the midfoot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had some T4's now for 3 seasons, and even tho the bottoms are almost see-thru, I still wear them occasionally for sprints, or for speedwork.
(Did my first HIM of the season in them too, as I had only just gotten their replacements, and didn't want to wear something new on raceday.)

I got some T6's too, and those are also quite nice. Very similar, but a teeny bit more beefy on top, so they are a smidge heavier.
Soles are identical, as far as I can tell.

Sizing is identical to the T4's (so I guess it would be to your T3's as well)

Best pricing I've found online is the running warehouse. They are usually cheaper to start, then you enter CP20 into the team code section on the top of the page, and get an additional 15% off. Free 2-day shipping, no tax. Free return shipping too.
Sorry local running store.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Racing Flats [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info.
Quote Reply
Re: Racing Flats [Sully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am a huge fan of the Saucony Fasttwitch Type A2's.

I will buy any pair of these shoes that anyone has I currently have 3 pair in my closet, 2 unused.

Best. Shoe. Ever.

-All You Haters Suck My Balls-
Last edited by: Trash Talk: Aug 6, 09 18:47
Quote Reply
Re: Racing Flats [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Speedsters (3's). I've raced 5k through marathon and they have held up well.

Ray G
Quote Reply
Re: Racing Flats [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
how durable are the brooks if you intend to use them as a daily trainer?
Quote Reply

Prev Next