Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question for Kestrel experts...
Quote | Reply
Would it be possible to use the Talon seat post wedge/adapter on a Kestrel 4000 frame, to allow use of a regular round-tube 27.2mm seat-post? Has anyone seen this tried?
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Kestrel experts... [NYSLIM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, the aero seatposts on the Talon and 4000 are different shapes and sizes. The wedge wont work on the 4000
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Kestrel experts... [shredz2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about the airfoil?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe the Talon and Airfoil use the same seatpost, so yes, I think that will work. Quick google of it shows lots of photos with the Airfoil using a normal round seatpost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the kestrel owners manual:
Talon Frame: Accepts either a standard 27.2mm round seat post (using the supplied seat post adapter "wedge") or the Kestrel Talon aerodynamic seat post.

Airfoil Pro Frame: Accepts an airfoil seat post or a 27.2mm diameter seat post.

The manual does not mention anything about using the wedge on the airfoil....

Pg. 16
http://www.kestrelbicycles.com/...el-Owners-Manual.pdf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the first couple of years the Airfoil Pro had a round seatpost and the Talon could use either a standard seatpost with the wedge or a heavy aluminum aero post. Then, at the same time that the aero carbon seatpost became available for the Talon, the Airfoil had an aero carbon seatpost. I would bet that it's the same one and that the Airfoil could use a round post with the wedge.

Why do you want to use the round seatpost?

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! ๐Ÿ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Kestrel experts... [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the RedShift seatpost. With drop bars and clip ons it allows a 76 degree tri-bike to become switchable on the fly, going from a SA of about 74 degrees to around 81 degrees. This can be very useful if the training or racing you're doing alternates from hilly to flat or if you like to train alone in the areo position and then also ride like a roady with a local peloton.

http://www.redshiftsports.com/...al-position-seatpost
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Be careful with the Airfoil. It has a very short head tube and therefore low stack. It might be hard to set up with drop bars and not have a big stack of spacers.

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! ๐Ÿ˜‚ '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anybody have a picture of this Kestrel Talon seatpost wedge? I bought a new Talon last year but don't think I ever received a seatpost wedge.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Kestrel experts... [Hamlet702] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Question for Kestrel experts... [Hamlet702] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't find a pic of the seatpost wedge but that pic above isn't it. Picture your bike with the seatpost removed and a 27.2 round seatpost in the front part of that tear-drop shaped opening. On the original Talon, the wedge filed in that triangle behind the round seatpost. It was about 2.5 to 3 inches tall made of aluminum with a carbon fiber tringle shaped top. I'm guessing that with the new Talon, the round seatpost became obsolete and therefore the wedge is no more.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is the seat post wedge that came with my Talon. You can't put a 27.2 round seatpost in the new talons. The wedge goes in the back of the seatpost and is pushed against the post by the retaining screw.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for Kestrel experts... [mcmetal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What does it do?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's pushed against the back of the seat post which is also V shaped. I guess it's technically a spacer and also so that retaining screw doesn't touch the carbon of the seatpost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I had the first gen Talon. Now I have a 4000. Great bikes!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mcmetal wrote:

This was the small insert used on the Airfoil to prevent the set screw for height adjustment from damaging the aero carbon seatpost. Hereโ€™s the adapter that youโ€™d need:
Last edited by: DonV: Jul 7, 22 13:58
Quote Reply