Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Purchasing first treadmill. Please help!
Quote | Reply
I've looked at various treadmills and thee two seem to stand out for their price range. Please feel free to offer any thoughts or other suggestions.
Thanks!

Sole F80
Nordic Trac C1500
Quote Reply
Re: Purchasing first treadmill. Please help! [shade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shade wrote:
I've looked at various treadmills and thee two seem to stand out for their price range. Please feel free to offer any thoughts or other suggestions.
Thanks!

Sole F80
Nordic Trac C1500

There are opinions on those and many more in a few threads here in the past couple months. Of course it is impossible for anyone to comment on whether either of those would be good for you since you didn't give us any details about yourself! It's just like buying a bike or any other equipment- the best treadmill is the one that holds up to your usage and allows you to complete your workouts easily.

-Physiojoe

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check costco.com. Great prices especially this time of year and you get a three year warranty when you pay with AMEX card (1 yr mfr, 1 yr costco, 1 yr amex). We had one that went bad after 2 years (fried a cable due to owner error) and we took it back to costco and got full refund. Treadmill was a commercial quality unit and was I think $700 or so. We bought a replacement with the refund and it was $800 I think. Free delivery to your house.
Quote Reply
Re: Purchasing first treadmill. Please help! [aztriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aztriguy wrote:
Treadmill was a commercial quality unit and was I think $700 or so.

Go to costco if you like, but this sentence is funny at best-

And completely wrong.

-Physiojoe

-Physiojoe
Quote Reply
Re: Purchasing first treadmill. Please help! [Physiojoe925] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was last year's version of this:

http://www.costco.com/...=4000000&eCat=BC|111|2268|59192&N=4032545&Mo=8&pos=0&No=2&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=59192&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC11001-Cat2268&topnav=

I think we paid $899 on sale.

The EPIC View 550 is a high-performance treadmill with a sophisticated design. With a built-in TV you can catch up on your favorite shows while you work out. And, with in-handle controls, you can conveniently change your speed and incline without leaving the handlebars. The View 550 is also equipped with iFit® Workout Card Technology so you can reach your goals in as little as 8 weeks. Each card automatically adjusts your speed and incline while the voice of a personal trainer coaches you through your workout. This treadmill also features a 3.25 Continuous Duty HP Odyssey™ Commercial Pro Motor, a Compatible Music Port for iPod® and the premium sound system Intermix Acoustics™ 3.0. It’s everything you need to start your performance training, lose that extra weight or tone those trouble spots!

Features:

3.25 Continuous Duty HP Odyssey™ Commercial Pro Motor
Push your workout to its limits with this Odyssey™ Commercial Pro motor. Employing powerful, self-cooling technology, this motor allows you to exercise for longer periods of time.

Compatible Music Port for iPod®*
Move to the beat of your favorite music with this built-in sound system. Plug your iPod®, or MP3 Player, into the Interplay™ Music Port for unbeatable sound quality. With the iPod® resting on the console shelf, it’s within easy reach and leaves the controls right at your fingertips.
* iPod is a trademark of Apple, Inc., registered in the US and other countries. iPod® not included.

iFit® Workout Card Technology
Lose weight, feel great and improve performance in just 8 weeks! Each card is designed by a Certified Personal Trainer and plugs directly into the treadmill’s console, automatically adjusting your speed while the voice of a personal trainer takes you through each workout. (SD Card Sold Separately).

30 Personal Trainer Workouts
Burn fat, lose weight and stay motivated with Personal Trainer Workouts. These programs take the guesswork out of your workout by automatically adjusting the speed and incline of the treadmill for increased intensity. Choose between aerobic, endurance or performance workouts and you’ll be on your way to success. The speed, time and incline of each workout are pre-determined so the only thing you have to worry about is pressing start.

6 Weight-Loss Workouts
Great for anyone interested in losing weight! These workouts are designed to help you burn maximum calories.

4 Create & Save™ Workouts
Customize your own workout with these easy-to-use Create & Save™ Workouts. You pick your goal, speed and time length for the ultimate, personalized workout.

20” x 60” Quiet Treadbelt
As one of our largest, most durable belts, it’s perfect for family settings or multiple users and can withstand heavier use than average treadmill belts.

ComfortStride™ Full-Length Cushioning
This newly designed cushioning runs the full length of your running surface for maximum comfort while reducing impact on your joints.

2.5” Precision Rollers
Better than the standard roller, these precision-machined rollers reduce noise and help the treadmill operate more smoothly and quietly.

SpaceSaver® Self-Locking Shock
To give you more room to stretch, or stretch the room you have, the deck folds vertically for storage.

3 Large LED Displays
Clearly view your workout results with these large LED Displays. Quickly read your speed, incline, time, calories burned, distance traveled and pulse.

7” Flat-Screen TV with Digital Tuner
Stay up on your favorite shows, while staying in shape, with this flat-screen TV and digital tuner.

In-Handle One-Touch™ Control
Quickly change your speed or incline with these convenient in-handle controls.

Club-Design BodyPulse™ Heart Rate Monitor
Make the most out of every workout by monitoring your heart rate with these sensors that are built into the handlebars to ensure you are in the right training zone for your goals.

Intermix Acoustics™ 3.0 Sound System
Discover the ultimate listening experience with Intermix Acoustics™. This premium sound system combines high-end speaker and subwoofer components to give you the best in crystal-clear sound quality.

0–12 MPH One-Touch™ Speed
With a speed range of 0–12 MPH, this treadmill features One-Touch™ Speed, which allows you to instantly adjust your speed up or down with the single touch of a button instead of having to tediously scroll through options.

0–12% One-Touch™ Incline
By increasing your incline, you burn calories at a faster rate and also reduce impact on your joints. This treadmill has a 12% incline capability that can be adjusted instantly with the single touch of a button.

350 lb. Weight Capacity
Now able to accommodate weights up to 350 lbs., this sturdy new deck is one of the strongest available and can withstand heavy use.

4” CoolAire™ Workout Fans
Stay cool and fresh during your workout with the innovative 4” CoolAire™ Workout Fans. You'll stay comfortable, enabling you to work out longer so you can reach your goals faster. The sophisticated fans are built right into the console, just like the AC in your car, allowing you to quickly adjust the settings.

Warranty:

This treadmill comes with a Lifetime Frame Warranty, Lifetime Motor Warranty and 1-Year Parts & Labor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i was in the same position 1 year ago. Was lookiong at exact same models. Ended up getting the Sole direct from mfgr. Have not had any issues at all, and use it at all speeds and a number of inclines. been very happy with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do either have built in "programs" ? I really like having a 5k course and a 10k course in the treadmills at the gym - the one I am thinking of is a Stairmaster treadmill. Good for a single run or laps on them for long runs; it adjusts the incline for you.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Purchasing first treadmill. Please help! [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you ever do any research on your own before you post? Answer to your question and review here: http://www.treadmill-ratings-reviews.com/...-commercial-1500.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
was that directed at me? No, I didn't do "research" before I posted. I asked the OP something he probably knows since he's tried out the treadmills.

Lighten up :-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a Sole F80 2 months ago and absolutely love it. Feels as good as the Life Fitness ones I run on at my Y. Nice long/wide deck, deck folds up to clean underneath, lots of room for bottles, lots of built-in programs, pretty quiet, changes speeds quickly--I can't say enough good things about it.

I got mine for $1500 cuz they were getting rid of the old models at Dick's. That included installation. Not sure whether the 2009-2010 models (the one I got) are still available...the price of the 2011 model has gone up significantly. Looks like online they might still have the 2009-2010 model.

I did try one out before I bought it just as a matter of course. Suggest you do the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you run on a treadmill now, like at the gym? Have you tried different treadmills? What did you like/dislike about the different treadmills? Buying used is not a bad idea as most people only use their treadmills a few times before they become clothes hangers.

A lot of bells and whistles is usually not worth the money - HR monitor, built in fan, many programs, or even able to go over 10 MPH. I bought a simple one that had more "cushion/bounce" and a more padded belt, and that's been great for my back. I also bought one that I can fold so it becomes compact when I want it to be. No matter what, pay the extra amount for the longest warranty you can buy - unless you're never really going to use it. I've been running on mine about 11 years, so they can last a long time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
depends which aspects are important to you. Programmable routes and workouts are important to some, but many never use that capability. How important are belt dimensions and top speed? Could be very important if you want to do fast intervals.

One thing I would strongly recommend is getting an extended warranty if you think you will use it frequently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last I checked, no gyms have "Epic" treadmills. How can they sell a "commcercial" motor if they don't have any experience in a commercial environment?

REAL commercial quality lasts 15+ years in a residential environment. The treadmill you pointed out has a 1 year parts warranty. Something doesn't line up.

-Physiojoe

-Physiojoe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have run on a Landice treadmill for the last year (at the gym) and loved it so much that I just bought one for my home. It replaces a 15 year old Star Trak that finally gave up.

Landice is consistently rated the number one treadmill by Consumer Reports and comes with a lifetime warranty. It is a little on the pricy side but it is a piece of equipment that I use frequently and that I want to last a long, long time.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Re: Purchasing first treadmill. Please help! [Physiojoe925] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From treadmill ratings and review website:

"Epic Treadmills are built by Icon Fitness, which is the largest fitness equipment manufacturer in the world. They also build ProForm, NordicTrack, Reebok, Weslo and Image.
Icon Fitness not only is the biggest seller of fitness equipment, but they significantly surpass the next runner up. Due to the economy of scale, Icon can offer treadmills at a good value.
Their Epic treadmills have become a hot commodity, especially after they received a "Best Buy" from a prominent consumer rating magazine for both 2008 and 2009. This has had a significant impact on sales."

As for what commercial companies (gyms) are buying, I don't know, although I do see these brands, especially NordicTrac, in commercial settings (anecdotal). The motor is a commercial grade motor with a lifetime warranty. I guess it depends on what you mean by "commercial grade". I use my Reebok branded treadmill about 5 hrs a week running anywhere from 30 minutes to two hours at a time and have had zero issues with it. Probably not the same as Lifetime Fitness where theirs get that much in an afternoon. Manufacturer warrants parts and labor (minus motor and frame which are lifetime) for 1 year, Costco adds a year, Amex adds another year for a total of three. My previous Icon treadmill (NordicTrac) worked great for over two years with no issues until I crossed a cable when I was reconnecting it after moving.

Check out the review site, it offers a lot of info on these brands and others as well as recommended treadmills.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you everyone for posting! I've traveled extensively for the past 4 years and have tried many brands of commercial and (mostly crappy) semi commercial hotel treadmills. I would love to go with a True or Precor or Landice, but right now they're out of my price range. I've checked out all the review sites and the two I listed seemed like the best in the 1000 to 1500 price range. As far as features, just give me a good deck that will hold up, time, speed and incline and I'd be happy.
This week I'm going to give a few a try and see how they feel. Please feel free to offer any suggestions about these or any other possibilities I should take a look at. If this price range doesn't work out...I can hold off awhile until I can afford a Landice.

Thanks again!!!

Jeff
Last edited by: shade: Dec 26, 10 15:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if there are any in your area but,If you want a commercial grade treadmill for half the money, there are businesses that buy out failing gyms, aquire there cardio equipment for pennies on the dollar, do a complete check up on each one (replacing any parts necessary), and sell directly to the public with a warranty.
Quote Reply
Re: Purchasing first treadmill. Please help! [Camel's Toe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried the Sole F80 out at both sears and dick's and the front arms and panel shook a bit while running. Have you experienced this with your Sole or could it be just shoddy assembly at both store's?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
shade wrote:
I tried the Sole F80 out at both sears and dick's and the front arms and panel shook a bit while running. Have you experienced this with your Sole or could it be just shoddy assembly at both store's?

I had the same thing with a Sole F80 at a Sears and Dick's. I wound up getting a Livestrong 16.9 (last years model) for $960 at Dicks (marked down to $1200 then minus another 20%). Put it together in about 90 minutes and it's rock solid. A 13.0 (lower model but current year) was $1300.
Quote Reply
Re: Purchasing first treadmill. Please help! [IBA23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, usually a 90-day warranty on a refurbed unit where the original mfg warranty doesn't trasnfer to the new owner. These are commercial units that have been beat to hell and are essentially dead. They get a new motor (perhaps) and a new belt (perhaps) plus some spit and polish and are marketed as being 'like new'. I suppose someone could get an okay unit through this means, but personally I would avoid it.

To the OP, I just went through this same exercise of researching treadmills. I'm a complete nerd about researching this kind of stuff before I buy it. I started out thinking that I'd buy a cheap Costco unit because 1) I run outside and hate treadmills and would use it only in a pinch and 2) if it ever breaks I'd just take it back to Costco. However after actually running on many different machines, I couldn't bring myself to buy a piece of junk, no matter how cheap it was. The Sole is probably a bit sturdier than the Nordic Trak but both are relatively flimsy and rely more on bells and whistles than strong parts. If all you're going to do is walk on the machine 2x week, then a cheaper model is probably okay. But if you're going to RUN on it for any length of time, then bite the bullet and get something that can handle it. I eventually ended up with a Landice L8. It was expensive, but I now have something worth having.

Short of the Landice, I found the True PS300 to be a pretty solid machine for the money. I bet you could get one before 12/31 for around $2k. I had a quote for one at $2300 but opted for the Landice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
buy the sole f80- I did, no problems, very nice, you will like it
Quote Reply