Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is there a Slowtwitch equivalent for Skiing
Quote | Reply
Hey Gang:
After taking almost 20 years or so away from skiing, I am jumping back into the sport with both feet so to speak. I am curious, is there a Slowtwitch equivalent for Skiing?
Thanks,
Pete

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a Slowtwitch equivalent for Skiing [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forum: Teton Gravity Research

Skis and testing? Lots of various sources. Anything in particular you looking at?

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
+1 for TGR. I live in the Tetons and people are mad about skiing.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a Slowtwitch equivalent for Skiing [NHK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NHK wrote:
+1 for TGR. I live in the Tetons and people are mad about skiing.

Downhill or XC or both???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a Slowtwitch equivalent for Skiing [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Downhill.
I am just looking to get more knowledge.
How and when to service skis
Travel tips
Resort info
Warm gloves, anything on warm gloves
A little bit of BS on how hard they send it, (when you know they are in a wedge on the Double Light green beginner runs etc.).

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Servicing skis is pretty easy, plenty of YouTube tutorials. In terms of how often, it really depends on what kind of snow you are skiing - icy pistes will take your wax off much quicker than soft powder. You can go on feel (skis start to feel slow and not glide as well) and looks (ski looks "dry" with white lines).

TGR forum is quite "hardcore", perhaps not the most beginner friendly forum, but some cool people and trip reports. Snowheads forum is a more beginner friendly forum but has more UK and EU focus.

If you are in n America travel tips is perhaps as simple as buy epic or ikon pass and work around that. Pretty easy with a little googling to get a general idea of the different resorts and their strengths and weaknesses.

My experience is warm hands are a product of keeping the core warm more than gloves themselves. If nothing works electronically heated gloves are an option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gymrat wrote:
Downhill.
Travel tips
Resort info
A little bit of BS on how hard they send it, (when you know they are in a wedge on the Double Light green beginner runs etc.).

Ski service: YouTube is your best bet for how-to guides. So is making friends with your local shop and asking how to do it. If you have a relationship with them, go for it.

Travel / Resort Info: We bought IKON and haven't looked back. You have to go the upgraded pass to get the best access (e.g., Jackson Hole and Alta aren't on the Base or Base Plus pass anymore) but it was worth it. And IKON's own site does pretty well with travel ideas, resort access, and now they're dipping their toes into wholly-owned travel agency stuff.

Warm gloves: Hestra or GTFO. Specifically, not gloves. Mittens. Mittens are your friend. Yes, it sucks dropping $150 on a set of mittens. But they last forever, and you can wear them with or without liners and they are baller.

How hard it's sent: I mean, that's classic TGR stuff...although I tend to try to keep my mandatory cliff jumps under 10 feet when I can. That's usually when I'm not getting stuck in a whiteout on Alta's High Traverse...

If anybody wants a set of Volkl M5 Mantras with Marker Griffon demo bindings in 177...I got a pair that needs a new home...

Quote Reply
Re: Is there a Slowtwitch equivalent for Skiing [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
gymrat wrote:
Downhill.
Travel tips
Resort info

Warm gloves: Hestra or GTFO. Specifically, not gloves. Mittens. Mittens are your friend. Yes, it sucks dropping $150 on a set of mittens. But they last forever, and you can wear them with or without liners and they are baller.

Hestra are fine, but they are certainly not the only option. Black diamond, outdoor research and others also make some nice gloves.

As I said before a lot of keeping your hands warm is keeping your core warm. I've worn "bad gloves" at -15c and had warm hands and worn expedition gloves at 1-2c and had cold hands.

Mittens are certainly warmer. A cheap pair of thin merino liner gloves can add a lot of warmth. You can also look at over-gloves. Generally more warmth = less dexterity. On the far end of thing you have Rab expedition gloves which are designed for 8000m but all the bulk makes them a little impractical for skiing. You have to work out what is the right balance for you personally.

Or just go for the electric option.
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a Slowtwitch equivalent for Skiing [James2020] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Epic ski used to be the closest thing to ST. After it went down in flames, most people migrated to ski talk. Ski talk resembles the more informative side of ST. TGR is more the edgy side of ST.

[Edited for grammar]
Last edited by: mrboomerang: Feb 4, 23 6:42
Quote Reply
Re: Is there a Slowtwitch equivalent for Skiing [James2020] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've spent probably $1,000 on gloves over the last decade...only thing that I found to work with these paws of mine are Hestra.

But yeah. Core warmth is critical, too. When it's cold, if they're open, head for the trees and bumps. Or go skinning.

Quote Reply
Re: Is there a Slowtwitch equivalent for Skiing [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you and the others for the info.
I will check the site out and the gloves.
I froze my fingers at Palisades last week in 10 degree weather.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply