Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Interesting Tracking ***Popularity???*** Data From Ironman FLorida
Quote | Reply
Fred Sommer of Sommer Sports posted the following data about Ironman Florida. Interesting data. First thing I noticed is just how little individual tracking is done in general. I know I tend to look at the professional results in aggregate and search for individual age-groupers I am interesting in tracking.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Tracking ***Popularity???*** Data From Ironman FLorida [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm actually surprised at how high those numbers are. I do the exact same thing as you when tracking a race so the fact that even 400+ people are manually adding a pro to their tracker seems solid in my view.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Tracking ***Popularity???*** Data From Ironman FLorida [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that tracked in the Im app or sports tracker site?
Anyway have never tracked a single person I just either search each time or look at the top list for pros.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Tracking ***Popularity???*** Data From Ironman FLorida [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
I'm actually surprised at how high those numbers are. I do the exact same thing as you when tracking a race so the fact that even 400+ people are manually adding a pro to their tracker seems solid in my view.

I mean it is all relative right. In the grand scheme of things, compare to any other sort of "celebrity" in anything and the numbers are small. Compare this to a popular Fortnite gamer for instance. I think I mentioned this before on ST a while back, but I sat down for coffee with a triathlon "influencer". She didn't know who Angela Neath was and some big time pro, it might have been TO or Sanders. I can't remember. I was taken back though for sure and I was never big on pro triathlon value in the first place.

The take away, at least to me, is the special interest stories and how popular they are. My mom very rarely ever messaged me about triathlon but I got a text from her asking if I was tracking Chris.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do think this is a decent example that those who put an emphasis on the social media side have a bigger sponsor impact. Sam Long is kind of the new hotness right now (and for good reason, sure), but he seems to be one of those attempting to make regular and more engaging content. As a sponsor, I don't think I would be upset by having 1500 tracking him. There's sure to be a lot more than that who are keeping up with him, but didn't add him to a tracker or follow that closely. That level of exposure seems to be a pretty good investment in a sport that does have a lot of "let's buy things pros are using" appeal. I'd love to see better advertising and effort put into the pro racing, though. I couldn't begin to say how/who/where that would come from, but I'd like it anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Tracking ***Popularity???*** Data From Ironman FLorida [mitchellgsides] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mitchellgsides wrote:
I do think this is a decent example that those who put an emphasis on the social media side have a bigger sponsor impact.

Agree, just take a look what Trevor Bauer is doing on the baseball side. People may think he is an arrogant prick, but you kind of got to be in order to be a major league pitcher. To have two platforms on Youtube over 100k in a year is impressive and people like that openness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What stands out to me, illustrating the power of social media and social media personalities is that Susan Haag is on that list at 480.Susan is part of our little Ultraman Ohana and is a 50 something year old age grouper who is a "Brand Ambassador" for around a dozen industry companies.She is on the USAT Board of Directors,on the board of the International Association of Black Triathletes,the ITU Women's Committee and is the first woman to complete 100 Ironmans (currently at 123).She is a great lady and is so popular with her age group following that at one stage I had to "unfollow" her on Facebook because my feed was clogged with non stop posts from her FB page.She is famous for stopping and hanging out with dogs and fans during the run leg and generally socializing her way to the finish line.Last weekend she finished IM Florida in 16hrs 32min.
https://www.triathlete.com/culture/100-counting-get-inspired-age-grouper-susan-haag/
It reminds me of a conversation I had with former owner of Peach City Runners in Penticton Steve Brown after he announced his "Sponsored Athletes" for the year back in the day.Penticton had a bunch of pro triathletes and high end age groupers living in town but only one pro was on the list.Instead he sponsored his wife and a few of her slowpoke running/Ironman buddies and a few age groupers because he knew that the average punter couldn't relate to people like Tom Evans and that it was far more likely the age groupers would chat about his store over coffee and come and buy stuff than it was for any of the pro's.The pro's usually just wanted shit for free and kept to themselves.

Last edited by: ThailandUltras: Nov 9, 20 14:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the post accessible somewhere? Curious what does "Times Tracked" represent in this image.

Without knowing anything, I would think it represents the number of times a query for a given athlete was executed (as opposed to say the number of unique devices from which these queries were executed...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also interesting that Heather Jackson wasn't even racing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So i went on Slowtwitch to read posts on Chris Nicik - - and surprisingly nothing. This appears to be the only post where his name is mentioned.

Chris Nicik is arguably the most popular triathlete of 2020, and no mentions from the hardcore triathlon community.

I can “geek out” as much as the next guy on training programs, equipment, FTP and obscure results from obscure “pro’s” in obscure competitions, but what Nicik did is pretty awesome. Congrats to him with the biggest triathlon story of the year.
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Tracking ***Popularity???*** Data From Ironman FLorida [PowerPlay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PowerPlay wrote:
So i went on Slowtwitch to read posts on Chris Nicik - - and surprisingly nothing. This appears to be the only post where his name is mentioned.

Chris Nicik is arguably the most popular triathlete of 2020, and no mentions from the hardcore triathlon community.

I can “geek out” as much as the next guy on training programs, equipment, FTP and obscure results from obscure “pro’s” in obscure competitions, but what Nicik did is pretty awesome. Congrats to him with the biggest triathlon story of the year.

I don't know about this Nicik fellow, but Chris Nikic is clearly the most talked about triathlete of the year.

Google Jan Frodeno and get "About 396,000 results (0.52 seconds)"

Google Chris Nikic and get "About 1,620,000 results (0.39 seconds)"
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Tracking ***Popularity???*** Data From Ironman FLorida [PowerPlay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also most of the IM Florida day of post was about him. Agreed though, AMAZING performance!!!!!

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Tracking ***Popularity???*** Data From Ironman FLorida [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
What stands out to me, illustrating the power of social media and social media personalities is that Susan Haag is on that list at 480.Susan is part of our little Ultraman Ohana and is a 50 something year old age grouper who is a "Brand Ambassador" for around a dozen industry companies.She is on the USAT Board of Directors,on the board of the International Association of Black Triathletes,the ITU Women's Committee and is the first woman to complete 100 Ironmans (currently at 123).She is a great lady and is so popular with her age group following that at one stage I had to "unfollow" her on Facebook because my feed was clogged with non stop posts from her FB page.She is famous for stopping and hanging out with dogs and fans during the run leg and generally socializing her way to the finish line.Last weekend she finished IM Florida in 16hrs 32min.
https://www.triathlete.com/culture/100-counting-get-inspired-age-grouper-susan-haag/
It reminds me of a conversation I had with former owner of Peach City Runners in Penticton Steve Brown after he announced his "Sponsored Athletes" for the year back in the day.Penticton had a bunch of pro triathletes and high end age groupers living in town but only one pro was on the list.Instead he sponsored his wife and a few of her slowpoke running/Ironman buddies and a few age groupers because he knew that the average punter couldn't relate to people like Tom Evans and that it was far more likely the age groupers would chat about his store over coffee and come and buy stuff than it was for any of the pro's.The pro's usually just wanted shit for free and kept to themselves.

Yep, very familiar with Susan. Even formed a few human tunnels for her at Ironmans while spectating. She has that pizzaz, especially when she puts on her dancy shoes. I know many are very familiar with her.

Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Tracking ***Popularity???*** Data From Ironman FLorida [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
friskyDingo wrote:
Is the post accessible somewhere? Curious what does "Times Tracked" represent in this image.

Without knowing anything, I would think it represents the number of times a query for a given athlete was executed (as opposed to say the number of unique devices from which these queries were executed...)

I am not exactly sure. I would have to go back and do some digging on Fred's post and see if he answered. I think it is just the number of people (unique computers) that specifically tracked the athlete. Regardless of the absolute level, the relative level ratio is the more important data point. Although as I mentioned, I never put in a pro's name personally, I only selected the categorical results of pros and look at them in aggregate.

Quote Reply
Re: Interesting Tracking ***Popularity???*** Data From Ironman FLorida [Ironfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironfan wrote:
Also interesting that Heather Jackson wasn't even racing!

She was on the start list. She was scratched on trirating ahead of time, but I am sure a lot of people just thought she was still racing because she was in the app.

Quote Reply