Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Higher Peak Altitude tent simulator Generator -Hypoxico
Quote | Reply
Higher Peak Altitude tent simulator Generator -HypoxicoAltitude tent and generator and mask - hypoxico

http://cgi.ebay.com/...e=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123 Higher Peak Altitude tent simulator Generator -Hypoxico Higher Peak Altitude tent simulator Generator -Hypoxico

Hey anybody use anything like this ? are they worth the money ??
Quote Reply
Re: Higher Peak Altitude tent simulator Generator -Hypoxico [super1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Define "worth"...

Are you a pro/elite athlete trying to WIN a race? If not, there are probably better ways to spend your money. A few years back, I ended up selling about 3-4 used hyperbaric "tents" for pro/elite athletes who had them for a time, but eventually dropped them. While others will claim there are no physical issues to be had from said devices, I've seen probably a dozen people NOT be able to keep up the maintenance EXACTLY (although close)...and ultimately suffer from various physical ailments.

Having an O2 tent will not put you in front of top athletes - it will only put you on the same playing field. Most people (pros) are using them similarly (not a wide range in altitude capacity), and thus, do not really achieve any "advantage" over their competition.

Craig Preston - President / Preston Presentations
Saving the world with more professional, powerful, and persuasive presentations - one audience at a time.
Quote Reply
Re: Higher Peak Altitude tent simulator Generator -Hypoxico [super1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i could think of many other place where investment will give you more in term of speed.

Altitude tent are not a clear win. There is a lot of downside to them and many athletes don't want to use them anymore.

a few element to consider
-no everyone is a good responder to altitude. you wont know until you try and do blood work consistently.
-sleeping in a altitude tent affect negatively your recovery (waking up exhausted)
-can speed up dehydration
-not convenient, require you to be in the tent 8-12h daily

so it s a balance between hopefully making some gain with altitude vs the compromise of a low training load and low quality.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello super1 and All,

I thought about it and did not buy one ... a long time ago ....

This is very old but I did an experiment to see how altitude training would work for me ......

Some addresses and links may be discontinued ....

https://www.runnersweb.com/...titude_training.html

Some doctor friends have told me that the downside of a hypoxic tent is that at my age I need all the oxygen I can get for recovery ...

Younger folks may recover with less oxygen at night and on balance the improved hematocrit is worth the effort .... It would be interesting to see how many professional athletes are still using hypoxic tents.

On the flip side, there was some use of hyperbaric chambers (pressurized oxygen) by hockey teams to try to speed general recovery .... but as I recall it was not very successful for normal recovery ... however the hyperbaric chamber did work well for healing some hockey injuries ... and is used regularly for diabetic foot wound healing.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC2858192/

https://phelpshospital.org/...hyperbaric-medicine/

http://www.feelnumb.com/2012/10/02/q-why-was-michael-jackson-sleeping-in-a-hyperbaric-chamber-such-a-big-deal/

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recommend it. Best increase in performance I've ever bought. My FTP went up about 25 Watts.
  • Takes about 2 weeks for me to adapt. (Dehydration, headaches, poor sleep, getting used to the sound, etc. at first, then it's all good.)
  • I sleep in it about 6 hours every night (8 hours in bed, but altitude is climbing during the first couple hours. I used to turn on the generator 2 hours before bed but I don't bother anymore.)
  • Recovery for me, once adapted, seems the same as always.

Ask me anything.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: Higher Peak Altitude tent simulator Generator -Hypoxico [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it wasn't you, Damon, I would have thought you might be a shill :p

Anyway, it sounds like you just use it every night? So you don't do the usual 3-4 weeks of high altitude and then go back to normal altitude before a big race?
Quote Reply
Re: Higher Peak Altitude tent simulator Generator -Hypoxico [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, every night.
Why de-aclimatize? With better oxygen availability, I can train better all the time.

Not a shill, but I suppose I should disclose I've been using a Wallace Altitude Tent for a looong time. Since... 1998 or so? I know Shaun Wallace.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Re: Higher Peak Altitude tent simulator Generator -Hypoxico [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm by no means an expert, but I guess going down to low altitude would be to maybe get a 'boost' from extra O2 (getting rid of residual fatigue from high altitude or something like that?). Or maybe it's just a simple logistic thing that you obviously have to go down to low altitude at some point if you are to compete at low altitude.

Can you share what kind of altitude you set the tent at?

In general I'm a proponent of steady, continuous things as opposed to a lot of different cycles - some (or all) of that is probably just because it fits to my mentality. In that sense your protocol fits pretty well into my belief :)
Quote Reply
Re: Higher Peak Altitude tent simulator Generator -Hypoxico [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live near sea level, so most of my day (and all my training and most of my racing) is in rich O2.

Only the 6-8 hours each night are in the tent. I set it to simulate 8000 feet. (~2500 meters). I tried 14000 feet a few nights but couldn't sleep well, so I went back to 8000 feet.

Trivial fact: I sleep better on overnight plane flights. (Still not great.) Never jerk awake gasping like I used to. :-)

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe it's just for logistic reasons that you usually come down to low altitude a week or so beforehand - I guess often this week will include travelling to your race.

Never had that problem in planes (though I have only flown overnight a couple of times, so not much statistics in that), but I hope I can even half of your bump in FTP - getting the full 25W would get me stoked.

What do you do regarding the posibility for too low oxygen levels, e.g. at a power outage? Do you have some kind of battery-driven alert to wake you up?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is 8 hours long enough? I've seen it suggested before that (considerably) longer portions of the day are required. Any thoughts?

Also, how does one convince their spouse of an altitude tent ;)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
Maybe it's just for logistic reasons that you usually come down to low altitude a week or so beforehand - I guess often this week will include travelling to your race.

Never had that problem in planes (though I have only flown overnight a couple of times, so not much statistics in that), but I hope I can even half of your bump in FTP - getting the full 25W would get me stoked.

What do you do regarding the posibility for too low oxygen levels, e.g. at a power outage? Do you have some kind of battery-driven alert to wake you up?

For travel, I leave the tent at home but just get on the plane - no planned period for "coming down", that happens automatically. After two weeks out of the tent I feel the FTP increase is mostly gone.
2 weeks to adapt in the tent :-)
2 weeks to lose the adaptation. :-(

I have no power outage alarm; if the tent stops, then slowly normal air seeps into the tent through the cracks. There is no possibility of too little oxygen.

Remember, it's just a typical tent: ripstop nylon and normal zippers, it's not air tight. In fact, it has to leak a little bit because the incoming low O2 air has to slowly move out the normal (high O2) air during the whole time the generator is operating.

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Last edited by: damon_rinard: Oct 4, 17 7:45
Quote Reply
Re: Higher Peak Altitude tent simulator Generator -Hypoxico [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
Is 8 hours long enough? I've seen it suggested before that (considerably) longer portions of the day are required. Any thoughts?

Also, how does one convince their spouse of an altitude tent ;)

Even a little less than 8 hours is enough for me. But, like you, I've also heard more is better. Shaun even set up a small desk in his tent to work as an office. :-)

I'm a lucky spouse: my partner is also a competitive cyclist. :-)

Funny, when we had our cat, she wanted to sleep on the bed with us. So we let her in the tent. But she also wanted to come and go during the night. She used to meow to wake us up to unzip and re-zip.
I solved that problem by putting in a pet door. It's sold for screen doors, but it works fine in the ripstop part of the tent. After that she came and went any time she liked. She probably had the best FTP of all the cats in the neighborhood. LOL

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Last edited by: damon_rinard: Oct 4, 17 7:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
performance enhanced mice killer, a nice perk. ;)

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Higher Peak Altitude tent simulator Generator -Hypoxico [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If only she had showed any interest in mice, alas... LOL

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply