Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

For those of you considering bike racing... Followup
Quote | Reply
Ok, now I can relax. Today is like the day after opening day at the ballpark. The first race of the season is now history, now in the books, and all the nervous jitters have been exorcised. I now know the rest of the season is going to be nice & smooth.

How do I know? Read on…

Reading this thread Friday got me nervous. Thanks Ken. Thanks a lot.

Waterford Hills raceway, B race, cat 4 & above. Started out at a steady pace, with a few wobbly riders - nothing threatening though. 50 minutes + 2 laps. 1.6 mile closed course.

About 30 minutes in, three groups of two riders consolidated their lead and maintained a nice gap of maybe 30 seconds. When one of the Giant riders jumped & tried to bridge, I did my part & jumped too, trying to lend assistance. We never made it. The front group rode away to the finish making the rest of the race unexciting for the main group.

Here are a couple pictures of one of the many corners. Notice anything peculiar? No, not the tanned legs of the woman on the Giant or the freaky-looking beard & shaved legs of the guy in purple & yellow.

Did you find it yet? For those not so astute, it's the nice fat seam in the concrete!! Every corner is like this - this particular corner was the only one where you had to be careful though.

My GF took this picture with about 15 minutes remaining. "Where's Scott?" she thought.

"Oh, there he is, riding by himself. I wonder what happened? Surely he didn't get dropped!"

No, he didn't get dropped. He had an unfortunate run-in with the aforementioned concrete seam & went skidding across the pavement. )!@(#$#)(*)@(#!!!! Nobody else went down with me - so that was good. I have no idea how it happened, I was paying attention to every seam on every corner. You know the sound your car tire makes when it's rubbing on a curb? I remember hearing that sound, then being on the ground thinking WTF! I knew the condition of the track before I started and acknowledge that it's entirely my responsibility to be aware of this & to ride safely.

Got right back up & sprinted like crazy but it was too late. I rode the last 20 minutes alone at TT effort for the finish. At least I didn't finish last (I passed some people who got spit out the back)!!!

Now that I've gotten my yearly crash out of the way, I'll be able to ride confidently for the rest of the season and enjoy myself.

To the first person who tells me they've crashed more than once in a season: I'll personally see to it that you're permanently banned from ST. Don't even think about it.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: For those of you considering bike racing... Followup [sc3826] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You didnt know that you crash in three's?

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: For those of you considering bike racing... Followup [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
piss off

Quote Reply
Re: For those of you considering bike racing... Followup [sc3826] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad you're OK. I raced the Quincy, FL road race today and watched a few guys crash when we had to turn right and one guy realized at the last minute he shouldn't be going straight. Fairly slow speeds, but at least one other guy hit him and I heard some more crunching sounds in back of me. Yeah, I thought about the thread here for a second. Then I got busy as we hauled ass away from there.

Funny thing was, we were talking about triathlons and cold water swims, difficulty breathing, chop, etc. on the way over this morning, and the cyclists I was riding with think we're nuts for doing that stuff.

Kendall Frederick

Orange Park, FL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hell yeah! Sounds great. Way to tough it out and not only finish the race, but pedal yourself home afterwards too! Did you change, or was your ass hanging out all the way home?

Looks intense and like a great way to spend your Saturdays.

I think we can all expect a redemption report next week.

I look forward to it!
Quote Reply
Re: For those of you considering bike racing... Followup [KendallF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was wondering if anyone from S-twitch would be doing that race. I am a local
Quote Reply
Re: For those of you considering bike racing... Followup [MI TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nah, rode home as-is (as-was?). i had tights on under the shorts, so there was no blinding white spot to distract anyone driving behind me. ruined two socks, a pair of tights & a pair of shorts. underarmor top & jersey survived unscathed.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my very first road race a guy t-boned me from the side and I crashed and broke a rib after landing on his hip. I had to do a 20 minute all out chase to get back on the field and ended up finishing 7th. Good on you for not quiting and finishing it off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've crashed 3 times so far this season... Once, my buddy cut me off cuz he took the wrong turn during a training ride. The other two were hairpin turns that I went into too fast. Luckily none of them have been too bad... just road rash and a contusion in my palm, and I havent taken out any other riders because I try to get into the turns first, which works most of the time as long as you can stay up yourself...oops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kudos for finishing, and nice pics too - makes one wanna race :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you didn't get hurt. For completeness, here's the race report from the guy who I quoted to start that thread (names changed to protect the guilty):

"The weather was horrid. Rain. Rain. Rain. Well, it settled down into
just a drizzle a few times, but mostly it was rain.

Lovely start. Starter said "go", we went about 20 yards, and an
official decided to turn around in the middle of the road, halting both
the lead vehicle and the 40-50 idiots who turned out for this race.
I've never seen a slower K-turn in my life. Course was 6.3 miles/lap, 7
laps, 4 turns, basically a square course. 1st leg had 2 wooden bridges,
the first of which we hit at about 30 MPH on the first lap. Everybody
held their lines on all the bridges all day long, thankfully; there were
no issues.

Did I say it rained? If not, it rained.

The pace went up/down all day long as folks got excited and/or wanted to
exercise their Johnsons/legs. Not much to report until lap 4 or 5, when
I somehow managed to lose my chain. I could NOT get the damn thing back
on, so I had to stop and unravel it from my rear derailleur. Wheel van
stopped to admire my foul language, asked if I needed help, etc. Once I
was ready to go, I looked into the distance to see the pack WAY off
(>500 yds, I'd guess), and remarked "This is gonna really hurt." Van
driver said "Get behind me." and we regained the pack rather quickly.
It helps when the pack slows to 20 MPH all the while I'm being motopaced
at 35 MPH by the van. :-) That was *fun*!

I heard A--- had to stop to unwrap a jacket from his rear wheel after
that, so I suspect he received similar treatment.

I was trying to learn to breathe again so I was in the back, but I
didn't miss much. B---- chased down a break, then we all behaved until
a little over a lap to go, when M------ and I both moved into the top
10-15 spots. Pace was quite fast, > 30 MPH frequently. I was an idiot
and blew a turn, lost 10 spots, and had to work hard to get remotely
near the front, so I just pulled up the right side only to see the front
had been blown apart. 6 or 8 guys all spread across the road. So I got
back in the pack until < a mile to go, and again I headed up the right
side. I assumed I'd be towing a bunch of folks, but as I blew up and
looked over my shoulder, nobody was there to offer a wheel. M------ said
he was behind me until he noted I was dying, so he jumped over to the
main line in reasonable position. A wise move, indeed. Oh, there were
6 guys off the front by now.

I keep pedaling even though I was blown, passing B---- (who was riding
on the grass after having lost a shoving match), and A---. M------ got
close to breaking the top 10, and I think A------ was close behind him.
B--------- packed it up after 3 laps, as he was sick"

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: For those of you considering bike racing... Followup [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks. it's not in me to quit. i wasn't strong enough to stay off the front for more than 5 minutes, so i knew i wouldn't be able to catch back up. i kept hoping they'd slow down & i'd see someone looking back, gesturing for me to hurry up...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, great pics! You look the part but unless the rules change for bike racing: your seat is too high!
Quote Reply