Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flat prevention while racing
Quote | Reply
So how much prevention. You just gamble it and go for it on new tires and tubes? How about a compromise, say a 4000s and a slime tube? Do you believe the crr on the 4000s is lowered drastically
Quote Reply
Re: Flat prevention while racing [Randy@huntutah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I typically say a little prayer pre race. I also always meticulously inspect my race tires/tubes before and after rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run tubulars without a spare tire. I inspect the living hell out of all my tires, never ever have flats. I am also very conscious of what I am running over and avoid any suspicious looking object like a plague. I never understood how people cuold have multiple flats during a race, saw this happen at AmZof this year. My guess is dry/butyl tubes on a super hot and sunny day...pop! Watched a half dozen tires pop while sitting in the transition rack...hence the sun/tubes hypothesis.

Quote | Reply
1. Practice, taking the tire on and off the rim a couple times, use your pump to fill the tubes or buy a couple extra air cylenders to practice with. Don't wait till it happens on race day to practice.
2. Tire liners, I like the Mr. Tuffy Ultra Lite tire liners. http://mrtuffy.com/ultraLite.php
3. a good rim tape
4. Spend the money on a good tire and tube, this is not the place to skimp.
Last edited by: natcon: Jun 4, 12 0:06
Quote Reply
Re: Flat prevention while racing [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, new tires treated well will be very reliable.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've found over many, many miles (albeit on relatively good roads) that my tires really don't make that much of a difference in flat resistance. The majority of flats I get are around the valve stem, and are from the daily pumping. I run fast tires with butyl tubes for training, and I've never had anything flat a fast rolling tire that wouldn't flat a more stout tire. Rock aversion is the #1 way to prevent flats, as Jack pretty much said above. That said, I've had a 4000 Attack as my front tire for 1500 miles now, and it's been fine. I usually run Vittorias. I've never messed with liners or slime, and I wouldn't bother.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steps:

.- Install and try the tires couple of days before the race
.- Clean, and inspect them after the each ride and before race day
.- Don't ride over crap...
.- most important: Pray!

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Flat prevention while racing [camaleon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My concern comes from getting flats so often training. I ride to work and invariable will run over a goat head or some type of thorn. Last week pulled very small wire out of my tire. I'm going to Boise this week and I read a post about that course having thornes. That when I started thinking something like 4000s with tuffys or tubes with slime. Did a search and some do this but was not sure about in a race. Just over thinking it maybe, cause after all the flats, I'm getting quicker at changing flats!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make an offering to the gods.

Pele, preferentially

Anyway: Don´t panic. Life is beautfull.
Quote Reply