Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Fixed-gear bikes illegal in Portland
Quote | Reply
<<clipped from BoingBoing.net>>

Fixed-gear bikes illegal in Portland

An Oregon judge has ruled that fixed-gear bicycles -- which use the rider's leg-power to brake them -- are illegal, and must be outfitted with traditional lever/caliper brakes. The cyclist who was ticketed for the offense fought it in traffic court, and was represented by a pretty sharp attorney, judging from the partial transcript here. It seems obvious that "fixies" should be lawful, since they can satisfy the statutory requirement that bikes be "equipped with a brake that enables the operator to make the braked wheels skid on dry, level, clean pavement. strong enough to skid tire." Nevertheless, the judge ruled against the cyclist -- I hope she appeals.

Now it was time for Officer Barnum to ask questions. He asked Holland,

"What would you do if your chain broke?"

Holland:

"I would use my feet."

Officer Barnum:

"What if your leg muscles had a spasm?"

Holland:

"I'm not sure...these are emergency situations."

Ginsberg interjected with a question for Holland:

"Did any of these situations happen on the day you were stopped?"

Holland:

"No."

http://bikeportland.org/2006/07/28/judge-finds-fault-with-fixies/

--------------------------------------

http://www.whydoesgodhateamputees.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Fixed-gear bikes illegal in Portland [RichardS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How dumb. Most people that ride fixies are more into bikes and maintenance of them than probably about 95% of the population riding old pieces of shit with brakes and other parts ready to fail at any time due to lack of maintenance. I wonder why she was cited in the first place?

Chris

--
"I do not hurt on the bike, I punish."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stupid fascist regimes!

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Fixed-gear bikes illegal in Portland [trinewbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exactly!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems stupid and I agree most fixie riders are messengers (or the like) and can handle their bikes, but when was the law passed? Recently? I might guess that someone was mad at the way messengers ride. I am not free of blame in this, and don't want to be a hypocrite (I run red lights sometimes, I ride aggresive on my "singlespeed") but its hard to defend messengers and the like on fixies who do some very dangerous things on their bikes. I admire them for their skills and think they (for the most part) know what they are doing, but some people might not like helmetless guys running red lights with no brakes...just a thought.

"ah-hem...the time is yours."
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Fixed-gear bikes illegal in Portland [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Take me for instance."

Like that judge would have a clue...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think fixies should have a brake when on the road, I almost got taken out by one the other day as he skidded to a stop with his rear wheel going side to side. Not to mention he almost got hit by a car as well. I dig fixies but that guy made me nervous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of kids bikes are illegal then, huh? Tricycles too?
Quote Reply
Re: Fixed-gear bikes illegal in Portland [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Lots of kids bikes are illegal then, huh? Tricycles too?

Kids' bikes do have brakes. You're not seriously trying to argue that the brakes on a kids' bike is even remotely similar to a fixie.

Tricycles generally are not ridden on public roads.
Quote Reply
Re: Fixed-gear bikes illegal in Portland [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never seen a trike with a brake myself...and do see them quite often in neighborhood street and on public paths.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not put a rear caliper brake on your fixie? You don't have to use it. It just has to be there. Not a bad back up either ... just in case. Or is it just too uncool to have a brake on a fixie?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, but by MOST state laws "fixie bikes" are illegal by code. Most state codes will state that the bicycle MUST have brakes that will slide/skid the rear wheel at 15 mph or some such. Therefore by code these bikes are illegal. Has nothing to do with the cops.......

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: Fixed-gear bikes illegal in Portland [Martin C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny! I ride with four judges......they all laughed at your post!

Push your Passion!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The reason the messengers don't have gears or brakes is because they get everything ripped off if they do. No one walking by, that sees a bike w/o these accoutrements is likely to want it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a cut and paste of Arizona Law:

28-817. Bicycle equipment
  • C. A bicycle shall be equipped with a brake that enables the operator to make the braked wheels skid on dry, level, clean pavement.

• Fixies are illegal by code.

Paul
    Quote Reply
    Quote | Reply
    Interesting. I live in Portland & personally don't think fixed bike gears are appropiate on the streets where I see them used as commuter bikes by lots of non biker types without helmets, running red lights and other nonsafe riding who think its cool to be on a fixed gear bike.

I've seen several run the lights because they can't stop. Some have nearly been hit by cars & a women on her fixed ran into me on my bicycle becasue she couldn't stop running the light. Then others hold up the traffic as they try to accelerate in an inappropiate gear that they can't turn over from a stop light on a uphill.

We have enough problems biking in the area & communting with cars yelling, honking, cutting us off, nearly hitting us etc in response to the poor actions of a few. I've had a motorist hit me on purpose saying "all you f___king bicyclist deserve it".

So yea fixed gears with no brakes being illegal is reasonable IMHO.

Barb
    Quote Reply
    Re: Fixed-gear bikes illegal in Portland [Brick] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    If it is a track bike there are no braze-ons for mounting a front or rear brake.
    Quote Reply
    Re: Fixed-gear bikes illegal in Portland [pdxjohn] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    “The reason the messengers don't have gears or brakes is because they get everything ripped off if they do. No one walking by, that sees a bike w/o these accoutrements is likely to want it.”

It is the exact opposite in San Francisco. Seems like everybody in the city is attempting to ride a fixie and dress just like the messengers. I lost count between 60-70 fixed gear bikes in just a few hours last month.

Dave
    Quote Reply
    Re: Fixed-gear bikes illegal in Portland [zipp] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    [reply]28-817. Bicycle equipment [li]C. A bicycle shall be equipped with a brake that enables the operator to make the braked wheels skid on dry, level, clean pavement. [/li]

Fixies are illegal by code.[/reply]

Not necessarily. With practice locking up the rear of a fixie can be done a lot easier than with the piece of crap side-pull brakes they put on department store bikes.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H63FivObTLM[/url]
    Quote Reply
    Re: Fixed-gear bikes illegal in Portland [boyscout] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    If it is a track bike there are no braze-ons for mounting a front or rear brake.

Fair enough. How about a disc?
    Quote Reply
    Re: Fixed-gear bikes illegal in Portland [boyscout] [ In reply to ]
    Quote | Reply
    Track bikes suck as road bikes !!

dirtball
    Quote Reply

Prev Next