Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fitting Shimano Di2 on a P3C ?
Quote | Reply
Hi, just a question for those that have fitted the Di2 to a P3C. Have you fitted the the cables externally or have you got out the drill and done some d.i.y? I have spoken to my LBS about fitting this and they say it would have to be external, so I'd like to know if this is a fairly neat job or just keep away from it until Cervelo make their frames abit more Di2 friendly, apart from the P4 obviously. Or can you tell me how you went about fitting it. Many thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Fitting Shimano Di2 on a P3C ? [prcully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I build a 2010 P3 and a 2009 P4 with Shimano Di2 with full TT/Tri options on the aerobar. I used normal cables for external use and rewired this frame cable my self and used it internally.
There are several YOUTUBE videos about this subject, not specific for Cervelo P3/P4 but about how you can rewire the cables your self. Thrust me, it looks awfull wenn cables go on the outside of the frame using the special Shimano Tape Kit for Di2.
It not difficult, only keep the colors on both side of the cables (that you have to cut near the bottom braked cable station) the same ;-) Use heatshrink parts BEFORE re-wirering, to keep the cable waterproof.
Look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ga2ptxs28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQpmvlMXb_M

It works great.

The cable goes in to the P3 frame on the left side of the downtube (that is normally used for the front derailleur cable) The existing hole must be re-drilled slightly and after doing that it can be re-fitted for traditional non-Di2 use too ! Battery on BB or on left chainstay is possible without the need of rewiring.

Email me if you need additional help.

Good Luck.

EJ

EJ is a Physician assistant, Cervelo Bike Professor, Dreamer, Triathlete, ex-Photo amature...Earthling
Quote Reply
Re: Fitting Shimano Di2 on a P3C ? [prcully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've built a few P3s with DI2. I would use the internal harness and the only one that would be external would be the wire for the rear derailleur. The hole on the drive side chainstay is on the inside of the dropout so it isn't worth drilling a hole in the chainstay. There are some pics on our store website of what it looks like. Let me know if you have specific questions.

-Darrell

Quote Reply
Re: Fitting Shimano Di2 on a P3C ? [EJ2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EJ2-
Re the Di2 internal installation on your P3C, I would love to hear more about how your routed the external cables internally, as I am about to do the same myself. Any chance you could take some pictures of your installation? I'm particularly interested in what you did around the BB area. Also, how would one mount the battery on the L chain stay (zip ties)? I've seen it done on a Felt bike, but that bike had 2 bottle bosses molded into the chain stay for that purpose already. Thanks for any additional guidance you could provide.
Quote Reply
Re: Fitting Shimano Di2 on a P3C ? [Darrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you drill another hole in the top tube on that P3 on your site?

Quote Reply
Re: Fitting Shimano Di2 on a P3C ? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, a hole was drilled in the top of the top tube to allow the wiring to pass through.

-Darrell

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Darrell wrote:
Yes, a hole was drilled in the top of the top tube to allow the wiring to pass through.

Does this void the warranty?
Quote Reply
Re: Fitting Shimano Di2 on a P3C ? [f18guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be a better question to ask Cervelo directly. As a Cervelo dealer with a good relationship with them, they gave me the go ahead to drill and we've since installed DI2 internally on a bunch of Cervelos.

-Darrell

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was that hole drilled for better aerodynamics / aesthetics, or some other reason? Would you know if it's possible to route the wire down the FD port on the L side of the bike (with some routing of the hole to fit the wire)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you mentioned pictures on your website, What is your URL?
Quote Reply
Re: Fitting Shimano Di2 on a P3C ? [heliskyr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I drilled a hole in my Cervelo SLC-SL as directed by Cervelo customer service a few years back. I was told to drill it 1 cm behind the headset as the carbon was thick enough at that point that it would not compromise the frame at that location. I forget the exact diameter of the hole - I started with a small bit and slowly went bigger until I could fit the connector thru it. I have been racing this bike in time trials, road races, and criteriums and that hole looks just as perfect now as it did when I drilled it.

Anyways, I just bought a used P3C and I will be doing the exact same thing with it in the next week or 2. I will add those pics then.

It does improve the aerodynamics and if you were to try to put it thru one of the derailleur cable ports you would have to drill out the cable stop and then you could never run mechanical at that location again.

Quote Reply
Re: Fitting Shimano Di2 on a P3C ? [pritchet74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your reply pritchet! Though I did get my Di2 sorted out 3 years ago :)
You post will be helpful to other Cervelo owners as they upgrade to Di2 as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Fitting Shimano Di2 on a P3C ? [ferrouschap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Send me a PM with your email address and I'll dig up the pictures to send you.

-Darrell

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it let me send a PM for some reason but send to here please ironman@optusnet.com.au
Quote Reply
Re: Fitting Shimano Di2 on a P3C ? [ferrouschap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I enabled the photo gallery on my site: http://www.frontofthepack.com The Di2 pics are mostly under photos -> 2010 but might be more in other sections as well. If you have specific questions about the installation let me know as I've done it at least 10 times.

-Darrell

Quote Reply