Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Drafting at WTC races
Quote | Reply
In yesterday's thread entitled "70.3 worlds bike course was a disaster", folks began the usual posts complaining about drafting on the bike course, including "packs." A coach chimed in by stating the following, among other things, re drafting on the bike at WTC races: "As an athlete it sucks bc if you want to be competitive at some point you're going [to] have to choose to break the rules [or] not. As a coach it sucks bc I'm forced to tell my athletes that [at] any and every WTC race they do they will probably need to make a decision to break the rules if they want to be competitive. At least on the dudes side."

When someone expressed their shock/disgust at the indication that this coach suggested to his athletes that they may need to decide to go ahead and break the rules at WTC races via illegal drafting in order to be competitive, he stated: "Do[es he] want [his] athletes to break the rules [by drafting on the bike]? No. I stress clean riding, clean racing, [t]he reality of WTC racing is that drafting is part of the game now."

The same poster followed up by saying that s/he thought "it's pathetic that a coach will tell people that pay him to cheat," queried, "What's next. A little medical boost," and continued, "[t]he rules are no drafting and justifying drafting with those rules seems wrong to me".

The coach replied by doubling down, calling that person, in his third post, "naive", scoffing that s/he "obviously [wasn't] a triathlete or [doesn't] race anymore or are [sic] way off the back and aren't in the bell curve of of the age groupers." After then explaining that if s/he "were any of those", s/he would realize that [bike] packs will inevitably form in every WTC race, and thus "what [you] tell [your] athletes" is "exactly" as follows: "'You will either have to make the decision to join it, let it go or ride 10-20m off the back of that pack.'"

Well, I am a triathlete, I do continue to race, and I'm not "way off the back" in my competitive age group. Nor am I naive about draft packs (e.g., pros this year at IM Brazil, FOP age groupers in my division at long course nationals last year, etc.). I also don't pretend to be, or have delusions of being, a WTC podium threat. But, Im my AG, I've done well enough to get a roll down for 70.3 worlds (declined), missed another by seconds, qualified for oly nationals each of my years in the sport, and did well enough to qualify for long course worlds in OKC (withdrew last month due to surgery for injury that has kept me out this year). And I have done so without ever once considering "intentionally drafting" in a way that breaks the rules to get the edge suggested so that athletes consider, despite being passed myself by small or large peloton a and cursing them as they go by.

It's called racing with integrity, for personal reasons if nothing else, and something I feel confident that the vast majority of competitive age groupers stick to (including your athlete who won long course worlds last year). The fact that someone is in the running for much tougher slots like Kona or 70.3 worlds in Chatt doesn't change the analysis. Further, I do not agree, and am willing to bet that others likewise disagree, with the statement that all WTC participants "will probably need to make a decision to break the rules if they want to be competitive" in this way.

As the poster whom that coach belittled said, his apparent reasoning could apply just the same to, for example, using "T," especially in the male 40-60 age groups. And it applies equally to those who cheat (and take the accompanying risks) in business to gain more money, move ahead, etc.

In sum, I will just say that as someone who loves racing and hopes to do it competitively for many years to come, I'm disappointed with this apparent approach, especially from a coach with a broad listening audience, and hope others, too, will not take the dangerous slippery slope of a "do whatever it takes to win" attitude. Alternatively, if you did not really mean what you seemed to have said, perhaps you could clarify for those who care.
Last edited by: pricardo: Sep 4, 16 20:25
Quote Reply
Re: Open letter to Brian Stover re drafting at WTC races [pricardo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OP response edits should not be allowed, imo.
Last edited by: ahhchon: Sep 6, 16 21:05
Quote Reply
Re: Letter to Brian Stover re drafting at WTC races [pricardo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not seen brian comments directly so perhaps there is more to the story. He is right that if you are competitive in your age group...you will most likely end up in difficulte situation where you might be too close at some points. I highly douth he recommend to jump in the train and draft voluntarily.

But I do coach many age groupers that are at the pointy end of the field in WTC, winning the age group category if not the race overall. It s not necessary to cheat to accomplish this......

but it s getting more and more complicated to stay clean.... you better have a plan to RUN FAST....

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, so lets say you are the coach of a bunch of athletes that are pointy end and want to podium in the big shows. They come to you and say coach, do I have a chance at a podium in LCW?

After you tell them that there is and has been since inception rampant drafting, and people often go 30 minutes faster overall than normal, what is you next bit of advice? Keep in mind they are paying you to podium and you cannot sway them off of doing the race..

Tell us coach, what is your expert advice to your athletes who insist on doing this race?

I know what I would say, just want to hear your solution to this problem since you have such a hard on for what one coach chose to do..
Quote Reply
Re: Open letter to Brian Stover re drafting at WTC races [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:
this is stupid for a few reasons.

1) if you're gunning for a kona slot, then you have no idea what it is like

2) i'm willing to bet a lot of coaches talk about this behind closed doors. i applaud brian for stepping up and saying it in public. if more coaches spoke up, then perhaps real change can be achieved.

3) you could have e-mailed this to him, you clearly want to shame him, which is like, 4th grade shit.

i'm all for draft legal races. but i've done 6 ironmans and there has not been a single one where there was not blatant drafting. i stopped counting the matches that i have burned trying to fend off bike packs.

placid (blatant on the out and back stretch), parts of wisconsin (least drafting really), cozumel (blatant), CAC (blatant, but more like 3-4 per pack), IMMD (about same as CAC), IMMT this year (blatant).

you train 6-8 months, hard. you sacrifice everything in your life (not all of us are genetically gifted) for a shot at kona. are you REALLY going to sit up and lose 10 minutes on the bike to avoid fighting the packs? are you REALLY going to burn 15 minutes of run time in matches because you tried to fight the packs? or are you going to look at the pack, see that 2-4 of your competitors are in your age group, and have to make a split decision, very well realizing you are breaking the rules.

he's not condoning it, he's just telling you the reality. speeding is illegal on the highway, yet i bet you hop on the fast lane to pass at 85mph when the legal limit is 65mph, i also bet you have passed on the right as well.

i can't stand the blatant draft packs. they have caused me so much misery, but i am empathetic for those chasing kona slots. you're not going to beat them, you can take the "high" road and not jump in for a sip of draft everytime they go by and then drop them on the hills, but realize that sometimes, the ends justify the means.

i saw it happen at IMMT. a girl that took 4th in her AG was riding around the same speed as the pack. on climbs, she was faster, on the flats they overtook her. she sat in on them. the hope is to finally drop them on the hill so hard that they can't catch you. she ended up doing that. i'm pretty sure fighting that pack cost me 25 mintues on my marathon..

Cheating is in the act of doing, not the act of getting caught.

You can wish it away or try to justify it all you want, but it's still cheating.

Maybe if you cheat your way to Kona but then get the MDot tattoo with "Cheater" under it, I'll be OK with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Letter to Brian Stover re drafting at WTC races [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actual coaches who are colleagues of yours and better known, such as jonnyo, who has posted above, are obviously better able to address your question from a coaching perspective.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't really understand the point of your post.

Brian suggested that an athlete will have to make a decision ON HIS OR HER OWN about whether or not they wish to "break the rules" or not break the rules. I think it's presumptuous of you - at best - to infer that he's saying you should cheat.

Quote:
As many of us know, you are considered a top coach to some of the world's best age groupers, as well as to some pros."
In yesterday's thread entitled "70.3 worlds bike course was a disaster", folks began the usual posts complaining about drafting on the bike course, including "packs." You chimed in by stating the following, among other things, re drafting on the bike at WTC races: "As an athlete it sucks bc if you want to be competitive at some point you're going [to] have to choose to break the rules [or] not. As a coach it sucks bc I'm forced to tell my athletes that [at] any and every WTC race they do they will probably need to make a decision to break the rules if they want to be competitive. At least on the dudes side."

When someone expressed their shock/disgust at your indication that you suggest to your athletes that they may need to decide to go ahead and cheat at WTC races via drafting in order to be competitive, you stated: "Do [you] want [your] athletes to break the rules [by drafting on the bike]? No. I stress clean riding, clean racing, [t]he reality of WTC racing is that drafting is part of the game now."

The same poster followed up by saying that s/he thought "it's pathetic that a coach will tell people that pay him to cheat," queried, "What's next. A little medical boost," and continued, "[t]he rules are no drafting and justifying drafting with those rules seems wrong to me".

You replied by doubling down, calling that person, in your third post, "naive", scoffing that s/he "obviously [wasn't] a triathlete or [doesn't] race anymore or are [sic] way off the back and aren't in the bell curve of of the age groupers." After then explaining that if s/he "were any of those", s/he would realize that [bike] packs will inevitably form in every WTC race, and thus "what [you] tell [your] athletes" is "exactly" as follows: "'You will either have to make the decision to join it, let it go or ride 10-20m off the back of that pack.'"

Well, I am a triathlete, I do continue to race, and I'm not "way off the back" in my competitive M40-44 age group. Nor am I naive about draft packs (e.g., pros this year at IM Brazil, age groupers in my division at long course nationals last year, etc.). I also don't pretend to be, or have delusions of being, a WTC podium threat. But, in M40-44, I've done well enough to get a roll down for Austria (declined), missed Australia roll down by 7 seconds, qualified for oly nationals each of my 3 years in the sport, made AWA gold the last 2 years (as misguided as the points system may be), and at least did well enough to qualify for this year's long course worlds in OKC (withdrew last month due to surgery for injury that has kept me out this year). And I have done so without ever once considering "intentionally drafting" to get the edge you suggest that your athletes consider, despite being passed myself by groups and cursing them as they go by.

It's called racing with integrity, for personal reasons if nothing else, and something I feel confident that the vast majority of competitive age groupers stick to (including your athlete who won long course worlds last year). The fact that someone is in the running for much tougher slots like Kona or 70.3 worlds in Chatt doesn't change the analysis. Further, I do not agree, and am willing to bet that others likewise disagree, with your statement that all WTC participants "will probably need to make a decision to break the rules if they want to be competitive" in this way.

As the poster whom you belittled said, your apparent reasoning could apply just the same to, for example, using "T," especially in the male 40-60 age groups. And it applies equally to those who cheat (and take the accompanying risks) in business to gain more money, move ahead, etc.

In sum, while I could use more colorful language, I will just say that as someone who loves racing and hopes to do it competitively for many years to come, I'm disappointed with your apparent approach, especially as a coach with a broad listening audience, and hope others will join in protesting it rather than accepting the dangerous slippery slope of a "do whatever it takes to win" attitude. Alternatively, if you did not really mean what you said, perhaps you could clarify for those who care.

Last, to all those who have beat me and others by drafting on the bike: FU.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Draft packs", are we talking the legal 12m distance that is misinterpretated to mean an actual 6-8m distance?
Or are we talking 1 (one) meter distance? Is that what I'll be up against in Kona (FOP swimmer)?
Quote Reply
Re: Open letter to Brian Stover re drafting at WTC races [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:

3) you could have e-mailed this to him

Or just posted it to the thread in question.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Sep 4, 16 9:01
Quote Reply
Re: Open letter to Brian Stover re drafting at WTC races [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in reply to DJred, Brian made his comments publicly on this forum. Given the content and import, they needed to be addressed publicly on this forum. It seems there are 2 camps thus far: the ends justify the means, and breaking the rules is cheating and you're an ass if you do it intentionally.
Last edited by: pricardo: Sep 4, 16 20:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Ok, so lets say you are the coach of a bunch of athletes that are pointy end and want to podium in the big shows. They come to you and say coach, do I have a chance at a podium in LCW?

After you tell them that there is and has been since inception rampant drafting, and people often go 30 minutes faster overall than normal, what is you next bit of advice? Keep in mind they are paying you to podium and you cannot sway them off of doing the race..

Tell us coach, what is your expert advice to your athletes who insist on doing this race?

I know what I would say, just want to hear your solution to this problem since you have such a hard on for what one coach chose to do..

I'd tell them they can cheat their way to the podium and live with that "accomplishment". Or, they can race fair and keep their integrity.

Maybe instead of training we should all be working on ways to cheat the course.

At the core, drafters are no different than Mike Rossi. Let that sink in.
Quote Reply
Re: Open letter to Brian Stover re drafting at WTC races [pricardo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well sounds like Jonnyo is pretty much saying the same thing as Brian, but I wanted your solution. Is jonnyo a bad coach to?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pricardo wrote:
in reply to DJred, Brian made his comments publicly on this forum. Given the content and import, they needed to be addressed publicly on this forum. It seems there are 2 camps thus far: the ends justify the means, and cheating is cheating and you're an ass if you do it intentionally.

Don't forget the third option. You have no idea what you're talking about and are making something out of nothing. Lots here seem to disagree with the inferences you've made, regardless of their position on drafting at the pointy end (which you aren't at, by the way).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apparently you have some reading comprehension problems. He merely stated that the competitive athlete would most likely be faced with a choice at some point. He did not tell them what choice to make. Basically, he is letting his athletes know that they will have to make an ethical decision. That is a factual and nonjudgmental position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

Are they at the pointy end BECAUSE they cheat or in-spite of the other cheaters?

It really depends on your ethics and personal values. If you can't win honestly, did you really win if you came in 1'st? How is it different than the Canadian lady that cut the course, how about Lance? How about all the baseball players on PEDs? Are we giving Bonds a pass because "every-one" was on PED's? Where do you draw the line at what is acceptable and what is not? I guess we all have our own line that we believe can or can not be crossed.
Quote Reply
Re: Letter to Brian Stover re drafting at WTC races [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd tell them they can cheat their way to the podium and live with that "accomplishment". Or, they can race fair and keep their integrity. //

Well that is pretty much what Brian said, so you agree with him...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude, get your T tested.

pricardo wrote:
As many of us know, you are considered a top coach to some of the world's best age groupers, as well as to some pros."

In yesterday's thread entitled "70.3 worlds bike course was a disaster", folks began the usual posts complaining about drafting on the bike course, including "packs." You chimed in by stating the following, among other things, re drafting on the bike at WTC races: "As an athlete it sucks bc if you want to be competitive at some point you're going [to] have to choose to break the rules [or] not. As a coach it sucks bc I'm forced to tell my athletes that [at] any and every WTC race they do they will probably need to make a decision to break the rules if they want to be competitive. At least on the dudes side."

When someone expressed their shock/disgust at your indication that you suggest to your athletes that they may need to decide to go ahead and cheat at WTC races via drafting in order to be competitive, you stated: "Do [you] want [your] athletes to break the rules [by drafting on the bike]? No. I stress clean riding, clean racing, [t]he reality of WTC racing is that drafting is part of the game now."

You replied by doubling down, calling that person, in your third post, "naive", scoffing that s/he "obviously [wasn't] a triathlete or [doesn't] race anymore or are [sic] way off the back and aren't in the bell curve of of the age groupers." After then explaining that if s/he "were any of those", s/he would realize that [bike] packs will inevitably form in every WTC race, and thus "what [you] tell [your] athletes" is "exactly" as follows: "'You will either have to make the decision to join it, let it go or ride 10-20m off the back of that pack.'"

Well, I am a triathlete, I do continue to race, and I'm not "way off the back" in my competitive M40-44 age group. Nor am I naive about draft packs (e.g., pros this year at IM Brazil, age groupers in my division at long course nationals last year, etc.). I also don't pretend to be, or have delusions of being, a WTC podium threat. But, in M40-44, I've done well enough to get a roll down for Austria (declined), missed Australia roll down by 7 seconds, qualified for oly nationals each of my 3 years in the sport, made AWA gold the last 2 years (as misguided as the points system may be), and at least did well enough to qualify for this year's long course worlds in OKC (withdrew last month due to surgery for injury that has kept me out this year). And I have done so without ever once considering "intentionally drafting" to get the edge you suggest that your athletes consider, despite being passed myself by groups and cursing them as they go by.

It's called racing with integrity, for personal reasons if nothing else, and something I feel confident that the vast majority of competitive age groupers stick to (including your athlete who won long course worlds last year). The fact that someone is in the running for much tougher slots like Kona or 70.3 worlds in Chatt doesn't change the analysis. Further, I do not agree, and am willing to bet that others likewise disagree, with your statement that all WTC participants "will probably need to make a decision to break the rules if they want to be competitive" in this way.

As the poster whom you belittled said, your apparent reasoning could apply just the same to, for example, using "T," especially in the male 40-60 age groups. And it applies equally to those who cheat (and take the accompanying risks) in business to gain more money, move ahead, etc.

In sum, while I could use more colorful language, I will just say that as someone who loves racing and hopes to do it competitively for many years to come, I'm disappointed with your apparent approach, especially as a coach with a broad listening audience, and hope others will join in protesting it rather than accepting the dangerous slippery slope of a "do whatever it takes to win" attitude. Alternatively, if you did not really mean what you said, perhaps you could clarify for those who care.

Last, to all those who have beat me and others by drafting on the bike: FU.
Quote Reply
Re: Letter to Brian Stover re drafting at WTC races [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are they at the pointy end BECAUSE they cheat or in-spite of the other cheaters? //

Well I think for the purpose of this discussion, we consider them pointy end clean athletes. Brian does not coach his athletes to cheat, just warning them in certain races and situations that you will have to decide which is more important, racing clean and off the podium, or racing like your competition, which may entail breaking some rules..

Keep in mind that most races are not decided by the cheaters, and a great athlete can have a very nice season staying out of the fray. But when it comes to certain races like WTC champs or ITU worlds, they are all together different. Dozens of athletes with pointy end abilities, but also basically unmarshalled courses where drafting is the norm, not the exception..
Quote Reply
Re: Open letter to Brian Stover re drafting at WTC races [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monty, they didn't say the same thing at all. Brian said, as I quoted, that the athlete will probably need to make a decision to break the rules to be competitive at the pointy end ("in that way"). Jonnyo said the opposite: it's not necessary to cheat through intentional drafting in order to win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jonnyo said the opposite: it's not necessary to cheat through intentional drafting in order to win. //

For who?? And you left out all the other stuff he said that went along with Brian, and also commented how things are changing. Only difference between Jonnyo and others, is that they already realize that things have changed. Just because you might come up with one athlete that may have won in spite of the drafting, there will be dozens and dozens of others that missed the podium because of it. We are tailing about coaches and lots and lots of athletes here, not the 1 in 1000 that might of got through. And will be pretty hard to find even that 1, unless they won the swim and stayed off the front the entire race..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't believe I just wasted my time reading this screed. Can't believe you took the time to make it a special thread. FFS

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pricardo wrote:
Monty, they didn't say the same thing at all. Brian said, as I quoted, that the athlete will probably need to make a decision to break the rules to be competitive at the pointy end ("in that way"). Jonnyo said the opposite: it's not necessary to cheat through intentional drafting in order to win.

Umm, again. You're making inferences that just aren't there if we're being objective.

brian's actual quote wrote:

"That's not entirely true. In the M40-44 they did hand out some penalties to people in the pack and no one bothered to get out of the pack.
I don't understand why you guys bitch after every race. Yes I know I did that, often in fact, in the past. But now I realized WTC = new ITU for age groupers.

In the female 40-44 my athlete exited the water second took the lead on the bike and won her AG by :90 or :95. Since she was solo & off the front, at least she didn't have to worry about drafting in her AG.

As an athlete it sucks bc if you want to be competitive at some point you're going o have to choose to break the rules of not.

As a coach it sucks bc I'm forced to tell my athletes that any and every WTC race they do they will probably need to make a decision to break the rules if they want to be competitive. At least on the dudes side. "

Again, he's saying an athlete will have to make a decision - on their own and without influence from their paid triathloning coach - about whether or not they need to break the rules to stay competitive.

here's another quote for you to stew on wrote:
but in our conversation I told her to expect something like this to happen and that she'd need to make a decision to do her own race and possibly sacrifice winning the AG and possibly not getting a 70.3 Worlds slot or getting into the group and risking taking the penalty.

You seem to miss key words in your reading comp.
Last edited by: James Haycraft: Sep 4, 16 9:37
Quote Reply
Re: Open letter to Brian Stover re drafting at WTC races [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
#ImWithStover

@CycleHeavy
Quote Reply
Re: Letter to Brian Stover re drafting at WTC races [Nicko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nicko wrote:
"Draft packs", are we talking the legal 12m distance that is misinterpretated to mean an actual 6-8m distance?
Or are we talking 1 (one) meter distance? Is that what I'll be up against in Kona (FOP swimmer)?

I will never be a threat to making it to Kona, but, I am a relatively FOP swimmer, and a BOP biker. As such, I see nearly half the field over take me at races. The drafting I see as groups pass me is comical. We are talking large, Sunday group rides. The first 30k of Whistler was one big Gran Fondo until the start of the first climb.

To the OP and others who stay up at night, staring at the ceiling and grinding their teeth over drafting:
How do you approach these situations? Should I just get off my bike and stand on the side of the road as the endless train of athletes pass me, until people my speed are in that point of the race? Because let me tell you, I was drafting like crazy in that section of the race. Not by choice, I was far to the right, doing my own thing, going my own speed, just getting caught up in 500 or so athletes passing me one after another.

For the usual triathlete (slow swimmer, fast biker) how are you supposed to navigate the first hour of the bike (for IM distance at least) when there is physically not enough space on the roads to avoid drafting?

There is more to drafting then biking along on your own, seeing a peloton go by, and deciding whether or not to hop on. The rules say no drafting, but the company putting on the events makes following the rules difficult, if not impossible in certain instances by the number of athletes in the race, multi-loop races, etc.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Letter to Brian Stover re drafting at WTC races [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
6th paragraph, this post is directed to "intentional illegal drafting" in order to obtain a competitive advantage, not to those situations where because of the course, size of field, start time logistics, etc., it is impossible or otherwise entirely unrealistic to avoid.
Last edited by: pricardo: Sep 4, 16 20:28
Quote Reply

Prev Next