Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cyclist on cyclist violence on trail in Northern VA
Quote | Reply
https://www.nbcwashington.com/...SocialFlowFB_DCBrand

“Deputies say he was wearing a white/light green Castelli jersey. His bike was described as being similar to a time trial bike or a triathlon bike.
The bars on the bike were "aero bars" and his helmet was an "aero" helmet covered with a sun shade, which covered half of his face. He was about 6 feet tall“

Everyone here is a suspect.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist on cyclist violence on trail in Northern VA [maiettan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obviously there's so much hot air overflow from DC that it affected that guy's judgment.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist on cyclist violence on trail in Northern VA [maiettan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My BS detector is going off.

passing two cyclist... he was probably over the center line.

I imagine myself reaching out my arm, hitting someone coming from opposite direction at speed... I don't know how to do this without a high probability to crash myself.

Plausible alternative scenario:
Triathlete sees passing cyclist very late, comes out of aero bars trying to avoid cyclist on the wrong side of the road, bumps shoulder.

But it would be nice to have stopped and see if the guy was okay. Then again, that probably would ruined his interval.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Riding on that particular trail in aero on the first beautiful Sunday in ages is just plain dumb.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist on cyclist violence on trail in Northern VA [BlackStumpGumby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BlackStumpGumby wrote:
Riding on that particular trail in aero on the first beautiful Sunday in ages is just plain dumb.

wasn't the assailant that was on a tt bike? or both? and it's not clear that the person assaulted was on a tt bike unless I'm missing something
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist on cyclist violence on trail in Northern VA [IvarAlmere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is clearly backstory here we aren't getting.

Have you ever tried to size someone up who is coming directly at you on a TT bike? What about sizing them up while concentration on passing two people? And how many people can identify a jersey brand from a head on angle at speed but can't identify a bike or helmet by a brand?

Now repeat the same activity but suffer a 'serious injury' before recalling the incident. The details about the jersey are especially fishy. I call BS on being able to identify and recall the fact that someone was wearing a Castelli jersey given the circumstances of the incident.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist on cyclist violence on trail in Northern VA [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was talking about the assailant. (You're right, we don't know about the victim.) That is, the assailant might have been understandably annoyed at someone making a bad pass, but clearly wasn't a person of stellar judgement for being out there in the first place (if he was in fact riding in aero). The WOD on a day like yesterday is a zoo.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist on cyclist violence on trail in Northern VA [BlackStumpGumby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BlackStumpGumby wrote:
I was talking about the assailant. (You're right, we don't know about the victim.) That is, the assailant might have been understandably annoyed at someone making a bad pass, but clearly wasn't a person of stellar judgement for being out there in the first place (if he was in fact riding in aero). The WOD on a day like yesterday is a zoo.

and showing one's annoyance, if that's the reason, by tapping the cyclists helmet obviously is really poor judgement. not sure what he thought was going to happen. I've been on multi use paths with my tt bike and I'm pretty cautious whenever I'm around other cyclists, runners, pedestrians, etc. it can be a madhouse on any trail
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist on cyclist violence on trail in Northern VA [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you even tap someone's helmet when riding a TT bike? There are more to this story than meets the eye. BTW, I was in the area about an hour after, by then it didn't notice anything of this sort had happened. W&OD on weekends, especially on the first nice day of the spring, can be very busy, like all popular MUTs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is Cav crying foul against Sagan again???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was so hoping this was gonna be video of two dudes in cycling shoes trying to land a punch. Alas.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist on cyclist violence on trail in Northern VA [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bob Loblaw wrote:
Was so hoping this was gonna be video of two dudes in cycling shoes trying to land a punch. Alas.

Dangit.....now we need the goto file video just to satisfy the senses.
It's a classic with two brawlers that 5 year old Bobby's kid sister could break up.

Last edited by: Felt_Rider: Apr 24, 18 9:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
End of thread........not a cyclist.

Cyclists don't TT on trails.

On topic though:
Douche move to not stop but more than likely not an assault. Probably an idiot making a dumb pass when the TT guy coming the other way was actually the one in the "right" and he hit the guy while trying to figure out what to do to avoid him.

People in this country try to victimize themselves to the nth degree. Instead of owning up to a bad pass and just having it be a case of the guy riding off.......it turns into 5'o'clock news "assault".

Eye rolls for everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/...st-bike-path-assault

Quote:
The Loudoun County Sheriff's Office said they were able to use Strava to help identify and arrest a suspect in the assault of a cyclist on a bike path last month.

http://www.fox5dc.com/...tness-app-police-say
Last edited by: rijndael: May 18, 18 9:14
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist on cyclist violence on trail in Northern VA [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brings new meaning to the notion: "If it's not on Strava, it didn't happen".

I race I do annually takes place on a series of private properties that are only available to the public on race day (we are explicity told not to tresspass at any other time). The organizers DQ'd a bunch of riders (70) who all decided to pre-ride the race course and tresspass on private property. The only reason they could be caught was because they uploaded their ride data to Strava.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist on cyclist violence on trail in Northern VA [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:

I race I do annually takes place on a series of private properties that are only available to the public on race day (we are explicity told not to tresspass at any other time). The organizers DQ'd a bunch of riders (70) who all decided to pre-ride the race course and tresspass on private property. The only reason they could be caught was because they uploaded their ride data to Strava.

P2A?

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist on cyclist violence on trail in Northern VA [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:

Tidewater Mountain Bike Challenge?
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist on cyclist violence on trail in Northern VA [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
beston wrote:

P2A?

Yeppers!
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclist on cyclist violence on trail in Northern VA [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/...st-bike-path-assault

Quote: The Loudoun County Sheriff's Office said they were able to use Strava to help identify and arrest a suspect in the assault of a cyclist on a bike path last month.

http://www.fox5dc.com/...tness-app-police-say

---

This second story confuses me. I'd thought the victim was passing two cyclists when the TT rider - riding in aero - coming at the passer hit the passer who may have been in the middle of the trail.

But this bottom article says the TT bike was passing people and hit the victim coming at him head on. Gives a different view of events, no?

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply