Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Continental tubulars. I can't get air in one of them. Help?
Quote | Reply
I have Continental Competitions glued to my 808's and they have worked great for the first 2 months (I'm new to tubies). Last week, I went to race and I couldn't get air in the rear tire. I attach the pump to the valve extenders and it's like pushing against a brick wall. Any advice on how to get some air in in it?
Last edited by: runsliderrun: Aug 27, 07 7:43
Quote Reply
Re: Continental tubulars. I can't get air in one of them. Help? [runsliderrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have Continental Competitions glued to my 808's and they have worked great for the first 2 months (I'm new to tubies). Last week, I went to race and I couldn't get air in the rear tire. I attach the pump to the valve extenders and it's like pushing against a brick wall. Any advice on how to get some air in in it?

The valve on the tube is stuck. Either it's actually closed or it's just "stuck" (that's why one usually taps a Presta valve prior to inflation). Stick a spoke or other skinny object all the way down in the extender to push the valve open. If you can't, it might have closed. Is there air in the tire now?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Continental tubulars. I can't get air in one of them. Help? [runsliderrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
first, congrats on what I think is the best tire/wheel set up there is.

A couple of things. Did you permanently open the value screw b/f puttung on the extenders and mounting the tires? I do this by flatting the last few threads on the valve screw and then forcing the screw to the end. Of course, if you didn't do that it would require taking the tires off and remounting them.

If you didn't do the above, the valve screw may have closed. One way to open it back (while leaving the tires on) is to put the extender in up-side-down and see if you can open it back up, but this may then be a reoccurring problem.

The last thing you may want to try (or maybe before the step above) is to stick an old spoke or something down the extender to see if you can tap the valve open....it may have just gotten stuck open.

I'm not sure what protocol you used to mount the tire, but unless there is some unusual problem this should be fairly easily avoided in the future.

Good luck!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Aug 27, 07 7:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I t sounds like your valve has closed. I carry a bamboo skewer in my race bag. The blunt end is ggod for pushing the valve open before I pump up. I have had to use the pointy end to unscrew the valve when it has vibrated shut. It's not easy to do, but it can be done. In the future you may want to put a kink in the valve screw to keep it from shutting completely. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Continental tubulars. I can't get air in one of them. Help? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is air in the tire. If I had to guess, I'd say it's down around 100psi at this point. It's definitely softer to the touch than the front wheel. I'll try your method above hoping it's stuck and not closed.
Quote Reply
Re: Continental tubulars. I can't get air in one of them. Help? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
One way to open it back (while leaving the tires on) is to put the extender in up-side-down and see if you can open it back up, but this may then be a reoccurring problem.

You just saved my day. I'm getting my bike ready for a ride in the morning and I could not air up my tire. (Zipp Tangente on a 404 with a valve extender)

I was getting ready to remove the tire and be forced to ride my other bike when I decided a quick search on Slowtwitch was in order...low and behold I found this old post.

I tried the trick of inverting the extender and unscrewing the valve and it worked. Now I can go on my ride tomorrow, but I'll have to remove, repair and reinstall the tire afterward so that this does not happen again.

------------------------
Michael
Quote Reply
Re: Continental tubulars. I can't get air in one of them. Help? [palmer_md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great news! Glad it worked for you! And, I appreciate the "Saved the Day" comment.....made my day (so far).

Best wishes,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply