Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Congratulations you hit the lottery would you change anything about your training ?
Quote | Reply
Ok. So let’s pretend you hit the lottery

your significant other has a career they thoroughly enjoy and they continue working

They work six days a week nine hours a day between work and travel

Would your training change any?

what would you do with that nine hours a day six days a week ?
Quote Reply
Re: Congratulations you hit the lottery would you change anything about your training ? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Train and probably start a small engineering company to find all those marginal gains! :P
Quote Reply
Re: Congratulations you hit the lottery would you change anything about your training ? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

MrTri123 wrote:
Ok. So let’s pretend you hit the lottery

your significant other has a career they thoroughly enjoy and they continue working

They work six days a week nine hours a day between work and travel

Would your training change any?

what would you do with that nine hours a day six days a week ?

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Congratulations you hit the lottery would you change anything about your training ? [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd get a coach and probably wouldn't listen to a thing he tells me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely. I think I would train every day & maybe even attempt a double digit per hour week at some point (when I built up to it). I may try to swim more than 1x every two weeks, because I'd have the time finally. I'm not jesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No question...I'd install my own lap pool and hire a coach to watch/train every single swim session.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't win the lottery but took a couple months off in between jobs. I slept in, trained, napped, trained some more, got really strong and fast, for me, then started work again. Now I'm trying to figure out how and when to train. If I won the lottery I would sleep a lot, train a lot and race a lot.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually don't think I'd be able to train much more, I always dream of training 14+ hrs/wk on a regular basis, but every time I get near that range I start dying of fatigue realizing it wasn't a great idea. It also starts getting really, really monotonous when I'm training that much.

The main thing I'd try to get it to train as often as possible with good triathlon groups or other single sport groups with all the extra time from not working. Alas, the reality is that since most people work, those times will usually conflict, and it won't be that much different at all than my current situation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Naps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm retired and train as much as I CAN, already. But the problem is that when your old enough to retire, you're too old to train as much as you WANT. But if I won the lottery, I'd get a better bike.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Congratulations you hit the lottery would you change anything about your training ? [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trailerhouse wrote:

That's why he said "they" when talking about significant other...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was kind of in that position at a period in my life, training like a pro because I was actually a pro. If I had unlimited money, I would have had a massage everyday, and maybe some other PT stuff. But other than that, I did all I could do with the time and energy I had..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like my life now for 31 weeks a year. I work in the oil and gas industry for 21 weeks total and when off I sleep until I wake up, eat breakfast and watch the morning news, train, eat, do some shopping, train, play with bikes and be cooking dinner by 6pm. If I won lottery I could do it for an aditional 21 weeks a year...
Quote Reply
Re: Congratulations you hit the lottery would you change anything about your training ? [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Naps and more naps 😴
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said - sleep.
Then maybe get the training time up more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A custom Ventum for every IronMan I have completed

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Congratulations you hit the lottery would you change anything about your training ? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Sounds like my life now for 31 weeks a year. I work in the oil and gas industry for 21 weeks total and when off I sleep until I wake up, eat breakfast and watch the morning news, train, eat, do some shopping, train, play with bikes and be cooking dinner by 6pm. If I won lottery I could do it for an aditional 21 weeks a year...

How many hours a week do you train?
Quote Reply
Re: Congratulations you hit the lottery would you change anything about your training ? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
I was kind of in that position at a period in my life, training like a pro because I was actually a pro. If I had unlimited money, I would have had a massage everyday, and maybe some other PT stuff. But other than that, I did all I could do with the time and energy I had..

Very nice!

Approx how many hours a week did you train?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on where I am in the season but leading into an IM can be over 30 but generally between 20-30 hours somewhere.
Quote Reply
Re: Congratulations you hit the lottery would you change anything about your training ? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About to do this for 18 months or so - at least from a time perspective without the financial part.

Not expecting a massive increase in hard training hours, maybe 1 a week and 2-3 ‘easy’ hours. Currently do around 12-15 hours a week.

Changes I am expecting
- time to prepare real food and a better diet
- more sleep, less of the lie in vs get up tired and do the session dilemma. Hopefully more consistent overall.
- more core work, stretching which usually is the first to get dropped

So for me it’s about using the time to absorb training better than smashing out monster extra hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah sure!
I would swim more! I would also be more consistent in my training as i have no reason not to as no life gets in the way. More massage/PT/recovery boots while watching netflix. I sleep plenty so not an issue. I would like to think i could train 15/h/week but my body always breaks down (fatigue or injury) when i get into "big" numbers, but i could probably ramp it up over time.

Would also travel to more races and see the world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would build a 50m lane pool within a velodrome within a running track.

In all seriousness I'd probably hire Brian and train like it was my job, see if this shit body can get to Kona.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still work because the money is nice and the longer I work the pension increases.
However, theoretically I could already retire now so I think about how life would be without work.

What wonders me is that most posters here answer: I would train more and I would love it.
If you think about it though, what about the social contacts with your collegues, what about the structure in your life? What about the interesting aspects of your work?
That's what worries a lot of people when retiring, in fact some people do not want to retire because of that.
Only training, tinkering on your bike and sleeping? If you're a pro ok, but live like a pro not being a pro? Don't know...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I'm retired. I live in a golf resort about the size of Central Park. Great place to run. Lap pool on site. Gulf of Mexico a mile away. Bike lanes just outside the property and two bike trails within thirty minutes. A gym within 2 miles or there's one on property. No person other than me plans my day. Also have the option to go elsewhere for a change. I'm not a spender or high maintenance though.

Even if I was 24 and not 64, the limit to my joy/training would be me.

If everything is "perfect" and there are no limiters, you find out that your ability or lack of it is a limiter that can take the joy out of your training/life, if you let it.

I'm not happier with my results now then when I had full time work, family and bills to pay. At least back then I had reasons why I wasn't doing better. If you take away those reasons not to do well, it's pretty humbling. I was most satisfied with my results when I was working, wife, kid(s) and running at 5AM and a little after work. My marathon was a 2:32 and 5K 15:30. I felt very good about those times when taking everything into consideration.

Thanks for the question and the chance at some reflection on life.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With more money and time on my hands?

I'd get a nice road bike (carbon frame/wheels, di2, disc, etc) and do more group rides during the week

I'd upgrade my P2 to di2

Get a gravel bike and try that

I'd hire a coach and finally do a full IM

Join a club with a really nice pool

I'd also volunteer at races a lot

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply

Prev Next