Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cheap aero wheels?
Quote | Reply
Not all of us can spring for 404s or 808s. What is a good, cheap, aero wheel that can be had for relatively little (under $400 for the pair) and used for training and racing? I have a set of ksyriums and like them, but acknowledge they are not "fast" wheels. Or, is the best bet a wheelcover? Trying to gear up while the economy is slumping...!
Last edited by: AT3: Feb 4, 08 18:54
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap aero wheels? [AT3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look into Hed Jets and Flashpoints.

It hurts so bad, it feels good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Not all of us can spring for 404s or 808s. What is a good, cheap, aero wheel that can be had for relatively little (under $400 for the pair) and used for training and racing? I have a set of ksyriums and like them, but acknowledge they are not "fast" wheels. Or, is the best bet a wheelcover? Trying to gear up while the economy is slumping...!

Forte Titans

Don't laugh. With a 27mm deep rim section and only 16F/20R bladed spokes, these wheels are actually surprisingly aero. At a price of $120 for a 1700gm wheelset (true weight, I've weighed them), it's tough to go wrong.

Thanks to Jens for pointing these out to me in the first place :-)

You'll have plenty left over from you $400 even after getting a wheelcover for the rear for your races.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Feb 4, 08 19:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CH-aero wheel cover for the rear $60.

Spend $250 for a used aero wheel on ebay

=$310

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap aero wheels? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they are somewhat like my Spartacus wheels (16 spoke)
how much better are bladed spokes then round ?
how about 32 vs 16 spoke ?

Thanks Thom

ps I just instaled EVO KS tires on those rims
tubbie free race season

Slowtwitch bitchist place on planet earth
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap aero wheels? [black] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about Rolf Vector Comps? They are not carbon race wheels, but they are cheaply had on ebay? Would they be better than Ksyrium Elites?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can look at neuvations.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap aero wheels? [auto208562] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Always, always remember, "You get what you pay for". Stick with the Mavic wheels. Put a wheel cover on if you must. Better yet, tune your body to a higher level of performance, come in top 10 for at least 4 races and then invest in quality aero wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap aero wheels? [GreenMeanie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Neuvations look to be the same as my Ksyriums. The Rolfs have a deeper rim and fewer spokes. I am just looking for inexpensive speed. I am a top 10 AG racer on short course, so seconds count, but not milliseconds. And really, I am not "in it to win it" but "in it to have fun, stay in shape, and do well also."

Thanks for everyone's feedback!
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap aero wheels? [black] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I get the HED wheels mixed up. What's the difference between the Stingers and the Jet's? I thought one might be a faring attached to the rim and the other one structural (like a 404), but I can't remember.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap aero wheels? [Superman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's always ebay and the ST Classifieds. I have probably saved hundreds over the years using ebay to buy tri stuff... and it keeps perfectly good equipment out of the dumpster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd do what Jeremy said.

I think a rear Ksyrium is a great wheel for a cover. They may not be aero on their own but they are pretty light, stiff and I don't think I've ever had to true mine. I had wheelbuilder.com cut me a cover for my Ksyriums and it was a solid set-up.

Combine that with a used deep carbon wheel off of ST classifieds. Hed Alp, used 404 or whatever. Keep your eyes open & you'll find a good one for $300 or less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a pretty popular rim called a Niobium 30. The 30 is for 30mm profile. They're imported by Kinlin and IRD among others. At about 450 grams for the rim, they can be build up into a fairly light and aero wheelset. The rims are only about $55 each, so match them with some decent hubs and spokes and you're in business.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheap aero wheels? [BK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the wheelbuilder.com cover with my neuvations. Rich did a great job in getting my custom done. I'm also lucky I live a very short drive away from his warehouse.
Quote Reply