Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Calling all Trek Equinox TTX owner !
Quote | Reply
I think my frame is broken.

Have some of you have the same problem with you Equinox TTX frame ?

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Trek Equinox TTX owner ! [Tillquist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i am sorry, but what are we looking at here ... ?

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have that same ridege on the downtube as well. I wil try to get a pic later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is probably not broken, just a crack in the paint where the peice that makes the tope/head tube bonds to the down tube. The time trial bikes had the same thing. You can only see it with certain colors.

To check if it is a crack you can take it to the dealer or try scrapping your fingernail across it. My guess is it is still smotth to the touch. (Meaning no crack in the frame.)
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Trek Equinox TTX owner ! [GregX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i am sorry, but what are we looking at here ... ?

This one, GregX

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same ridges at the joint sites of my TTT .... looks like the same thing on your TTX.
Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's the paint cracking over the lug. You'll see that happen on just about every carbon-model. (Madone, TTX, etc..)

You should be okay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've owned a few Trek OCLV frames over the last 15 years. The painted ones all develop cracks like that where the tubes and lugs meet. Cracks are jagged and irregular. Cracks in the paint at the tube joints are straight, like yours, and are harmless.

Bob C.

The "science" on any matter can never be settled until every possible variable is taken into account.
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Trek Equinox TTX owner ! [cbritri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
That is probably not broken, just a crack in the paint where the peice that makes the tope/head tube bonds to the down tube. The time trial bikes had the same thing. You can only see it with certain colors.

To check if it is a crack you can take it to the dealer or try scrapping your fingernail across it. My guess is it is still smotth to the touch. (Meaning no crack in the frame.)

Yes I have talk to my dealer and he says I well get my frame repainted.

First the ridege was only on one side of the downtube, but now it is on both side of the downtupe.

It's can't be right, you pay $5450 for a frame with project one colour and the paint can't hold :-(

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, exact same. I was about to call Trek. The bike is built out of multiple pieces. It is not a monocoque. I think that is junction of the downtube with the headtube piece. Please let me know what you find out, and I will do likewise...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Trek Equinox TTX owner ! [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yes, exact same. I was about to call Trek. The bike is built out of multiple pieces. It is not a monocoque. I think that is junction of the downtube with the headtube piece. Please let me know what you find out, and I will do likewise...
I well keep you update, Rappstar.

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have just minimally noticeable ridges at all 3 joints of my TTT project1 ... they are not cracks... just joint ridges. The bike is 3+ years old and they've never really changed. I had your same anxiety at first, but my dealer showed me the issue was of no concern and I agree. I suspect they will always happen if the bike gets ridden as joints will move. Not a problem and mine has been ridden hard.
Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a friend with a 2007 6.9 madone that completely melted down like this. The cracks started... then a few weeks later the paint chipped off. He was more than a little bit upset. Especially when Trek took a long time to fix it.

Checkout http://www.iotexpert.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same flaw on my frame. Please keep all of us updated.

http://www.excellentengineering.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could be wrong, but I don't think Trek repaints for this issue. Maybe if you scream enough, or loud enough they will once, but the crack will keep coming back as I understand it.

Keep us posted though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, what would the point be to repaint the frame because the crack would keep coming back. The problem I see here is once a little water gets into the crack it’s going to turn into a chip and then you are defiantly going to want it repainted. Then the whole cycle will start over again.

Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Trek Equinox TTX owner ! [johnnyperu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But the crack should not be in the clear coat, so water should not get in there right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s hard to tell but I can feel the crack with my fingernail so I would think that it’s thru the paint and the clear coat but I could be wrong. If the paints cracked I don’t see why the clear coat would not also be cracked.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
But the crack should not be in the clear coat, so water should not get in there right?
I can allso feel the crack with my fingernail, so it is in the clear coat.

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't read all the replies but...
that is a known issue, call trek they will tell you. it is the paint cracking. they told me they had fixed this with the new TTX, guess not. What happens is the carbon and the paint do not have the same flex, so paint clear coat cracks also you might get a second one at the seatstays.
Don't worry it is only cosmetic, but hey it sucks to have some sort of crack on the tube after paying $$$$$
I wonder if anyone from Project 1 paint has this issue?????

It hurts so bad, it feels good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would think that the paint and the clear coat is bonded together so they would both react together.

Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Trek Equinox TTX owner ! [black] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I didn't read all the replies but...
that is a known issue, call trek they will tell you. it is the paint cracking. they told me they had fixed this with the new TTX, guess not. What happens is the carbon and the paint do not have the same flex, so paint clear coat cracks also you might get a second one at the seatstays.
Don't worry it is only cosmetic, but hey it sucks to have some sort of crack on the tube after paying $$$$$
I wonder if anyone from Project 1 paint has this issue?????
They do - Tillquists TTX is actually a Project one...

---------------------------------------------
//FRISK

Save a bike - ride a triathlete

Quote Reply
Re: Calling all Trek Equinox TTX owner ! [black] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a P1 paint job and this will be the second flaw in my frame. I have a paint chip missing from my seat stay do to a lack of clearance built into the frame and this crack.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This happend on a customers Equinox 11, that is a seam where the carbon meets up, structurally it is fine, but from the flexing of the frame it has caused the paint on the surface to crack. Trek issued a new E11 frame for the customer.

-------------------------------
Tigers love pepper, they hate cinnamon.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is very normal. We just bought a new luxury car and the paint is cracking and falling off all over the place. I wouldn't be too concerned. Triathlon is not a beauty contest...
Quote Reply

Prev Next