Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Calf soreness. Is it an injury?
Quote | Reply
I started running about 2 months ago. Usually only 2-3 30min runs/week.

Last sunday I did 9km in about 1 hour with some part of it going pretty fast for me. I was expecting to be sore but now it is thursday and I'm still sore in my left calf. Am I injured and should wait for it to dissapear completely or just run again but at a slower pace?

---

Warning: Username does not in any way apply to triathlon past and future performance.
Quote Reply
Re: Calf soreness. Is it an injury? [Fastfwd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was wondering the same... I got too excited over the purchase of new shoes and decided to try toe striking for 15miles. I was sore for at least a week. I had trouble going down stairs for 4 days, and running was still out of the question for another 3. I chose to wait it out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
your legs are still hardening up (I was in the same boat as you not too long ago). While you "might" be injured, I would suspect not. Try going for an easy run, expect it to be a little painful for the first 5-10 minutes or so. If the pain goes away after you warm up, you're good. If not, turn around and go home.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Injured? Not really. I'd ice those calves at night for 15-20 mins and then before you run in the morning wrap them in a hot/wet towel (microwave a wet towel) and heat them up - that will loosen them up. I'd do a high cadence bike ride for your next workout for 45-60 mins on the trainer - if outside, go a bit longer. Keep it in the small chain ring - flat or rolling course - no climbs. Then, in the next 2-3 days do a couple of shorter runs of 30 mins over the next couple of days mostly at an easy pace, on a flat or rolling course - do 4-5 short pickups to 90-95% of your max pace for ONLY 50 meters or so (very short). Keep icing after runs and at night. Things will come around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ice it right after the run, and keep the runs short untill you gain some strenght there.

It hurts so bad, it feels good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I share your calf pain, well maybe a bit more than you do. I too suffered from calf pain for about 6 weeks, got it from a cramp when running. I never really took time off and gave it time to heal. I should have paid more attention to it because about 5 weeks ago I tore my medial gastrocnemius. I was on crutches and had a cast for a short time. This week is the first time I can walk without a limp but I haven't run, cycled, walked up stairs since I tore it and I don't expect to be able to run for about another month.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How sore are we talking? Is it painful to run/walk on, or just really difficult? Is the soreness higher up towards the knee, or a bit lower in the calf?

I'm certainly not an expert on the subject, but I had a similar problem last week after doing some intervals on the track. I had a lot of soreness higher up in my calf, to the point where I almost felt as if I couldn't bend my leg. I'm guessing it happened because I was stupid and did a track workout in my second week of running after taking a break (in flats to boot).

I was really worried that it was an injury, but I what I had (and what I think you have) is probably a muscle strain. I took two rest days (one with no running and the next with a very short run), lived in compression socks 24/7, and put lots of ice on it. It went away pretty quickly. I actually didn't do much stretching, since when I tried it I felt as if my leg was being torn in half.

Not sure how much it helps, but that's my experience. I would say that as a general rule, one should err on the side of caution, especially if one is new to running. You're probably not injured, but take a day off from running and see how it feels.

http://lesliesexton.wordpress.com
Last edited by: Triple Zero: May 1, 08 8:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I regularly get sore calfs, the things that have worked best for me are to be sure to stretch after a workout - be sure to stretch the soleus as well and not just the standard calf stretch. I'll also do some myofascial release using a roller I got from trigger point if they are really feeling sore. Actually, rolling the calfs along with using a roller to get the IT bands as well has probably been the most help to keeping me pain free in running and cycling.
Quote Reply