Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

CHANN MCRAE bike split
Quote | Reply
Was anyone else expecting an awesome bike split from this guy. While following it on the web it looked like he was going backwards. He seemed to have a pretty good race, maybe I expect too much from a former pro cyclist.
Quote Reply
Re: CHANN MCRAE bike split [wvarta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM is not about the bike split, it is about the overall race. Even as a former pro cyclist, he would be focussing more on training his weaknesses and racing his strengths. That meaning training to get his swim/run combo up to pro triathlon standard, whilst still comfortably mixing it up the big boys on the bike - comfortably, and possibly being more fresh off the bike, as his body is trained to be efficient on the bike. But alas, not to happen on the day.

This is advice from someone who used to think IM was all about the bike. No good having a 4:30 bike split backed up by a 4:30 run split.

I have brought my IM bike splits down from 6:35, 5:00, 5:10, 4:50 - and each race my marathon time has come down as well, by being more efficient on the bike, not erratically riding. IM marathon splits in same order 6:11, 4:28, 4:03, 3:33. But if I were to ride 4:30, my marathon time will go back up to the 6hr I did the first time.

IM bike pacing is more balance than pure speed. Its great watching Bjorn, Zack, Hellriegel etc go nuts on the bike - but the runners chew em up by being more efficient on the bike and running fresher.

pinkboy

In the power never given to me in the name of slowman, king high ruler and Grand Hunky Poo Ba of the blessed land of Slowtwitchia I dub thee "Sir pinkboy the Awsomator" This honor is given to thee for the reason of being not only freakin' awsome but totally sweet. By the use of the color Pink to fly your freak flag and bring smiles to frowny faces. *Mr. Tibbs*

Quote Reply
Re: CHANN MCRAE bike split [pinkboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pinkboy,

Wow, that was a great analysis and use of personal experience to make a point! I have to admit, I get tired of all the posts around the Ironman World Championship about which biker is going to leave the field in his dust... Only to watch year after year, a solid all arounder (with a better than average run split) Take the title. Although, I admit it's fun to hear about the monster bike splits... It's just not logical if you're shooting for the title.

Good luck this year in Hawaii.
Quote Reply
Re: CHANN MCRAE bike split [eastcoasttri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only 2 things that a monster bike split gives you are TV time (sponsorship exposure, bit of an ego boost etc), and f@#$ sore legs/heart, that will sap your marathon time by anything from 5min to hours - leaving potential to lose the race, or worse DNF.

But I must admit, Im a biker freak, love to TT the pants off guys in road races etc, and watch em peel off the back of the bunch one by one. Same in the pro ranks in triathlon. Its only a matter of time when an uber biking three or four decide to make Hawaii their own, bike 15min up the road and one hang on for the win. Would love to see Macca, Walton, Bjorn, Staddler, (Lessing - although he would sit in I think, and make it a running race) go up the road - and one to hang on slightly.

pinkboy

In the power never given to me in the name of slowman, king high ruler and Grand Hunky Poo Ba of the blessed land of Slowtwitchia I dub thee "Sir pinkboy the Awsomator" This honor is given to thee for the reason of being not only freakin' awsome but totally sweet. By the use of the color Pink to fly your freak flag and bring smiles to frowny faces. *Mr. Tibbs*

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice progression. Congratulations.

You are right it is all about balance.

I recall talking to Peter Reid a number of years ago, prior to the first time that he won in Hawaii and he said that is what he was focusing on - balance. Obviously it has worked well for him as no man has had a better record at IMH over the past few years than he has. He could blast out on the bike if he wanted to - he is a deceptivly strong cyclist. However, the race is swim/bike/RUN!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
" Its great watching ......., Zack, Hellriegel etc go nuts on the bike - but the runners chew em up by being more efficient on the bike and running fresher. "

Pinkboy,

Your analysis and explanation is certainly good; BUT, remember, Zack et al have had many, many IM victories, and many many other very high finishes. So, a corollary to your analysis is that you also have to race to maximize your own abilities. It seems to me that Zack has certainly done that.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Wayne!

Maybe Chann had a problem with his Polar HRM! LOL

Im emailing you later, but real quick,I met someone very interesting this AM on the set of ESPNs 'Cold Pizza' (cant say who) and he gave me a very good idea on something I am already doing and how Ican tweak it, it could be something good for both of us to pursue.

Jason Goldberg
FIT Multisports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK Pinkboy,

How did you do that? Awesome progress.

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: CHANN MCRAE bike split [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you david. I was actually thinking that sort of in my head, but couldnt type it down correctly I guess. Zack has certainly picked up his running in the past year or so. I know he is an ex-runner before he was a triathlete, but early in his pro career he made the bike his own, but failed with his run. Now he is maximizing his strength and has 2 strengths being his ability to ride and a capable sub 3hr marathon. Others in this list would be Helriegal, Holzner, Macca (to a certain extent), Stadler and a few others who can ride within themselves and pull out a pretty savvy marathon to boot. But the real racers are those who can swim/bike/run at their maximum capabilities.

Tx - train smarter, not harder! Cant give all my secrets away.

pinkboy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is one thing to say that triathlon is about swim/bike/run, but its another for a former Tour de France rider to have a slower bike split than the fastest woman. Kate (Major) did a fabulous job and I had the pleasure of watching her bike past me twice at the top of Papa Bear, and run past me twice near the Riverside turnaround, she was really moving, my hat is off to her.

-Erik

"I don't half-ass anything. For me its either whole-ass or nothing." -elake
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chann also finished the Roth Challenge Irondistance race just three weeks before IMUSA with an 11th overall and a 4:42:52 bike split. A lot of men, including top Pro Men, were outsplit on the bike by Kate Major in LP!

Support Crew

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Quote Reply
Re: CHANN MCRAE bike split [support crew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, Kate outsplit every amatuer male except two!! not to mention a bunch of the male pros. She was really in good form.

-Erik

"I don't half-ass anything. For me its either whole-ass or nothing." -elake
Quote Reply
Re: CHANN MCRAE bike split [elake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a good way to control the number of "pros" in the US. Everytime a "pro" athlete lost to the first woman, he should lose his pro card. That simple...

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: CHANN MCRAE bike split [Wayne@PolarUSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How the heck doe this Chann McRae bike split thread from 2004 end up on my forum front page view?
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Feb 26, 21 16:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have brought my IM bike splits down from 6:35, 5:00, 5:10, 4:50

and each race my marathon time 6:11, 4:28, 4:03, 3:33.

That's impressive.
Last edited by: Sanuk: Aug 15, 16 15:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with the essence of your point, but to be fair to Hellriegel, he kicked ass on his run at IM Canada after kicking ass on the bike. That was truly an epic performance that I was lucky to witness.

Quote | Reply
First this bumped at 2016 and now again in 2021???
Quote Reply
Re: CHANN MCRAE bike split [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My vote for best pro cyclist turned pro turned triathletes go to John Howard and Steve Larsen.

pinkboy, Jason Goldberg, Fleck and our beloved Support Crew. This thread brings back a lot of good times.
Quote Reply
Re: CHANN MCRAE bike split [Herbie Hancock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbie Hancock wrote:
My vote for best pro cyclist turned pro turned triathletes go to John Howard and Steve Larsen.

pinkboy, Jason Goldberg, Fleck and our beloved Support Crew. This thread brings back a lot of good times.

Can we add Cam Wurf to the list? Yes some nice names in this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: CHANN MCRAE bike split [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. John Howard, Cam and Steve Larsen in order of top Hawaii finishes. I can’t wait for Richie Porte to retire from cycling and give triathlon a go.
Quote Reply