Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

CF wheel expected life
Quote | Reply
Hello.

What would be the expected life of a 100% CF tubular carbon wheel, let's say by a lightweight rider (60-70 kg)? The hub and spokes are serviceable, but my main concern is the actual structural life of the wheel and the braking surface.

Here's an example, the braking surface on a 3000 miles tubular EA90.

Quote Reply
Re: CF wheel expected life [Xcessiv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends. Dry usage ? Wet usage ? All weathers ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would contact Easton specifically about brake track life. As far as the structure of the rim goes, in theory it should last longer than an aluminum rim IF it's properly manufactured. However, if it is damaged you need to toss it. I think certain shops can inspect CF now with ultrasound/infrared but I could be wrong (there's something on Calfee's website about cf inspection).

re wet braking: don't expect it to be very good. If you're lucky it will be "adequate".
Quote Reply
Re: CF wheel expected life [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forgive my lack of knowledge on materials science, but I thought aluminum brake tracks lasted longer than carbon? If not, why is that?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: CF wheel expected life [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
braking on alu rims essentially "shaves" material off the brake track. There are wear marks/holes on the brake track for alu rims
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Forgive my lack of knowledge on materials science, but I thought aluminum brake tracks lasted longer than carbon? If not, why is that?

My apologies, I was referring to the fatigue life of the material. This isn't really applicable to the brake track... as far as I know.
Quote Reply
Re: CF wheel expected life [Mr.Pie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't braking on carbon wheels also shave material off as well?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't own a set of carbon rims, but I believe their pad compounds are made to be ablative to keep the rims from getting too hot. That might also reduce the amount of wear to the rim compared to aluminum pads and rims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure anyone knows because I don't think anyone has really seen it happen at all, let alone on various different rims.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply