Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bottle for 40k TT
Quote | Reply
Where’s the best spot to put a bottle for 40k TT?

It will prob be ~90 degrees so i want to have some hydration.

I thought I could zip tie a cage BTA but if I do that the only place I can mount the Garmin is on stem, which is too far back for me

Put one on downtube?
A mini gel flask with a couple sips of water stuffed inside skinsuit?!
Last edited by: mvenneta: May 10, 18 14:56
Quote Reply
Re: Bottle for 40k TT [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How long are your extensions? Can you a TT mount to get the Garmin near you hands and still have room for a BTA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the bta mounted Profile Design Aero HC bottle on my P5. There is really no good place to mount the Garmin so I drilled a small hole through the top cap of the bottle and use small piece of velcro and a small screw to mount the Garmin holder on top of the cap. Works well and have had no problems.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a Profile Design FC35. Keep a reserve [aero] bottle on down tube.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Bottle for 40k TT [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gphin305 wrote:
I have the bta mounted Profile Design Aero HC bottle on my P5. There is really no good place to mount the Garmin so I drilled a small hole through the top cap of the bottle and use small piece of velcro and a small screw to mount the Garmin holder on top of the cap. Works well and have had no problems.

Can you post a pic?

I debated putting my quarter turn mount onto the bottle, and putting Garmin onto that. Just don’t want to have an issue with Garmin falling off
Quote Reply
Re: Bottle for 40k TT [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
How long are your extensions? Can you a TT mount to get the Garmin near you hands and still have room for a BTA?

I bet I could, bars are long. Might have to get a different mount tho.

The one that extends out beyond bars that i have on road bike doesn’t fit (hits the other bar).

Just the quarter turn mount means I have to change my grip on the bars
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
gphin305 wrote:

Can you post a pic?

I debated putting my quarter turn mount onto the bottle, and putting Garmin onto that. Just don’t want to have an issue with Garmin falling off

The fill cap on the HC is flat and is pretty much the same size as the 1/4 turn mount. I just cut a piece of velcro to fit.....then drill the hole. There is already a hole in the quarter mount....no need for the rubber band. I used to cut small pieces of duct tape to help secure as well but really don't need. I'll try to post pic later if you still want.
Quote Reply
Re: Bottle for 40k TT [gphin305] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What’s the Velcro for?

I don’t have aero bottle so I’d be doing this with a regular squeeze bottle in a cage, if I did the same thing. Pretty sure I can make it work if I screw instead of using rubber bands

Just don’t understand how to keep it from spilling once i drill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could go with a Speedfil Z4 cage BTA. It has a Garmin mount molded into the cage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
What’s the Velcro for?

I don’t have aero bottle so I’d be doing this with a regular squeeze bottle in a cage, if I did the same thing. Pretty sure I can make it work if I screw instead of using rubber bands

Just don’t understand how to keep it from spilling once i drill

The velcro is just for added adhesion. BTW, this method I'm talking about is only for the bottle that I use....the Profile Design HC Aero. I thought you were trying to decide on what kind of aero bottle would work best for you. Don't know how this method would work with a regular bottle.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by olistenning [ In reply to ]
Re: Bottle for 40k TT [olistenning] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok general I agree. But it’ll be somewhere around 90-95 with no shade. A quick couple sips will help
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Xlab Torpedo Komoact? Has the standard bottle cage and an integrated garmin mount.

Blog | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I might do this. Garmin positioning is a little awkward. Need to try it out

Link
Last edited by: mvenneta: May 10, 18 18:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
FatandSlow wrote:

I bet I could, bars are long. Might have to get a different mount tho.

The one that extends out beyond bars that i have on road bike doesn’t fit (hits the other bar).

Just the quarter turn mount means I have to change my grip on the bars

The TT mount places the Garmin between the extensions, in front of the bottle.

Here's a link to the product. https://www.excelsports.com/...major=3&minor=35
Quote Reply
Re: Bottle for 40k TT [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Camelbak bladder with a shortened hose down the front of your skinsuit (popular option on the UK TT scene for longer events and these guys win tunnel everything); bonus would be to add ice to keep you cool as well. Win-win.
Quote Reply
Re: Bottle for 40k TT [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRO Saracen wrote:
Camelbak bladder with a shortened hose down the front of your skinsuit (popular option on the UK TT scene for longer events and these guys win tunnel everything); bonus would be to add ice to keep you cool as well. Win-win.

Seconded. I have an account over on the UK TT forums and can confirm this.

I've not had to as mine are 10 mi and I don't take anything for 10mi. Myself being slow enough that a 40k with some hills I'd be over an hour, I'd have to have it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
olistenning wrote:
Wouldn't bother. A 40k TT is way too hard to drink.

I can't believe it took 11 posts to get to this sort of response. If you're going too hard to drink you are about 5 minutes from cracking, unless you're already 5 minutes past. Plus, corners, downhills? A smart time trialist will take advantage of course features for drinking. Anyone that thinks they are going too hard to drink in 90 degree weather is a fool destined to ride 70+ minutes.

For an actual answer, I use a Speedfill Z4+ with a regular water bottle half way full. Your Garmin will be right in front of your nose. Like 4" from it! Too full and the bike's handling feels squirrelly. If it's windy, bumpy, or otherwise makes me feel like I have to actually hold on to the aero bars instead of just rest my hands, I use a Bontrager aero bottle on the seat tube.
Quote Reply
Re: Bottle for 40k TT [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never put a bottle on my tt bike for a time trial, even in 90 degree weather. I do have a high tolerance for heat though, everyone is different.
Quote Reply
Re: Bottle for 40k TT [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

If your able to drink during a 40K TT, its because your not riding hard enough. Depending on it's position, the bottle could cost you up to a minute. Actually taking a drink from it could cost you another 5-10 seconds. For Christs sake, its only a 50-60 minute race.

Quote:

Support the fight against apostrophe abuse!
Is it a contraction? Is it a possessive? If neither, you probably shouldn't use an apostrophe.
Learn more at The Grammar Book

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Last edited by: jens: May 11, 18 9:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first reaction is: no drinking. And yes, I plenty of TT background in 40K and beyond, even in some pretty oppressive heat.

But my second response is as some one else has already mentioned: CamelBack. I'd go with it on my back, a small unit under the skinsuit.

YMMV.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Bottle for 40k TT [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:
I have never put a bottle on my tt bike for a time trial, even in 90 degree weather. I do have a high tolerance for heat though, everyone is different.

Well you should start! Maybe go with two bottles, preferably round 24oz types, and drink as often as you can.

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: May 11, 18 9:48
Quote Reply
Re: Bottle for 40k TT [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
ridenfish39 wrote:

Well you should start! Maybe go with two bottles, preferably round 24oz types, and drink as often as you can.

:D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can design carrying and consuming a standard bottle to be pretty drag negligible. I used 2 strong rubber bands, some type of domed/aero standard bottle, a small segment of profile design replacement straw and made my own essentially disposable hydration system. Poke a small X shape and pushed the straw through, left about 2cm sticking out, with the whole thing angled up to match my forearms. Zip tie a cage would work just as well, maybe better. Rubber bands an interesting solution to play with.

When I was in a perfect shared road time trial head position the straw of my set up would tickle my chin, and a slight drop to "following the lead car" head position had me taking quick sips. I would absolutely consume the entire bottle and wish for more during both straight 40ks (51 minutes) and 40k OD splits (55-60 minutes). I'm a sweater and a drinker.
Quote Reply
Re: Bottle for 40k TT [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This sounds like a doable idea.

How do I shorten the hose?
Quote Reply

Prev Next