Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bit by a dog
Quote | Reply
So I'm out for a run about 3 weeks ago, I notice lots of people and 3 dogs on the sidewalk. I do my best so they see me coming and they don't move. I run off the sidewalk into the snow, about 4-5 feet off the path, and the Border Collie lunges, takes it owner down and gets me on the side of the knee. No major damage to me-(scratches and a small one inch puncture) but mostly to my running pants. The dog rips a giant hole in the side. The owner was quite concerned at first - here's my #, my email, sorry for having to get a tetanus shot, get your pants fixed/replaced, anything I can do let me know, etc. Now 3 weeks later, he hasn't covered the cost of my pants and not even returning my emails or phone calls. I wanted to be a nice guy about this but now it's starting to piss me off. Do I persue this like a dickhead now or wait a bit more?
Quote Reply
Re: Bit by a dog [tkat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you pursue it.

I have 2 dogs(Aussie and Border Collie). I am very conscious when the dogs are on leash to give humans space. My dogs are friendly, but jumping up would freak out most people.

If you "hint" that you might report the dog bite he should respond quickly.

I definitely would do anything to avoid my dogs being labeled viscous.

Best of luck.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, a dog bites, this is a very serious matter. First thing I would do is call the cops, animal control, what ever
it would take to get the dog off the street.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I LOVE DOGS AND CATS AND ALL ANIMALS.

......Tell him that if he dosen't pay, you will press charges and have his dog put to sleep. If he is going to be a dick then let him have it (of course you won't follow through with the threat) but that should scare the owner into following through with his responsibilities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you're not being a dick, the dog owner is being the dick. i would call and either threaten to report the dog to the police and / or threaten legal action (small claims court) if he does not respond. see if that get's his attention. you have been more than patient.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, do you absolutely know the dog doesn't have rabies? You need to verify the dog is up to date on its shots or you need to travel to your nearest ER. Granted the chance of rabies is small, but you have to find out the history of this dog.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate to be pessimistic, but you take a big risk being the nice guy.

About 10 years ago I accidentally cut some guy off in traffic. At the next light he pulled up beside me and started screaming out his window. I fessed up and apologized, at which point he gets out of his car and comes to my passenger window continuing to scream, swear etc... He actually reaches in at one point through my passenger window in my car and tries to slap me, at which point I grab his jacket and start trying to pull him in the car because now I am pissed and am going to thump this guy. He jerks back, gets away from me, calls me another name then proceeds to kick my passenger door as hard as he can leaving a huge dent and takes off.

Luckily I get his plate, go to the police station and tell them what happened, fully explaining that I did cut the guy off at the intersection before. Later that night I'm telling this story to a friend and they know the guys brother. Turns out their dad is loaded and this guy has been in trouble all his life with booze/drugs and at about 45 still acts like a teenager. My friend tells the guy's brother and the next day the guy actually calls me at work apologizing and saying he's sorry and will pay for the damages and he was having a bad day and so on. Meanwhile I never contact the police further or anything, so as far as the cops know I am still pressing charges and want my door fixed. I call the guy a day later with the estimate and he basically screams at me on the phone and tells me to go fuck myself. So I think fine, you want to be a dick, go ahead. I'll just wait to here from the cops.

About a week later I've still heard nothing. So I call the cop I talked to. He tells me that he talked to the guy the next day afterwards, the guy admitted to kicking my door but the guy told him we were working things out so the case is closed. I call bullshit, ask how he can go to the perp and be told things are ok without ever calling me. I call back and get a hold of the Police Chief and talk to him. He reads ME the riot act saying I waived all rights when I talked to the guy the next day and agreed to work things out. I tell him, so what your saying is I can go assault someones property and if they file charges against me and you as the police contact me if I tell you we are working things out you will never contact the victim or person pressing charges to make sure I'm not telling you a line of shit. He bitches me out some more about how I went about this and tells me I'll get my damn money but the police are not a debt collecting service. A day or two later I get a call from the original cop telling me I can come pick up my check. I go down and he gives me a check from the guy for $300, the damage was about $350, and calls me a whiny baby for calling the chief on him and next time I won't be so lucky. I called him a lousy cop for not doing his job and investigating things and taking the 'bad guys' word that things were being fixed and that if he'd have simply called me afterwards to verify we were working things out I would have told him what was going on. He bad mouths me some more, apparently to look tough in front of his cop buddies. So at the end of everything I end up the 'bad guy' or sore loser in the cops eyes.

So, the moral of my story is, no matter how nice you want to be you are risking things by not following through with official channels right from the start. I know that trying to be the nice guy in my situation and taking the other parties word for it that they would fix things ended up biting me in the ass at the end.

It's a sad reality, but you never can trust people unfortunately.

Agreed, make some (empty) hints/threats about reporting it to animal control and he should become much more cooperative. The sad thing is that the owner is the bad guy, not the dog.
Quote Reply
Re: Bit by a dog [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun

I agree. A dog bite is a serious matter but I would not neccesarily report it to the cops.

As a dog owner I am aware of how a dog can behave. You have to admit, a jogger is not a dogs best friend. It's his nature to want to give chase. Now we are dealing with a border collie. A breed that is extremly loyal to it's owner and here we have a jogger approaching the owner. That does not make it a visiuos dog. My dog (sons dog) who is mild and timid gets her back hair ruffled when a jogger is approaching my son.

In this case the owner had the dog on a leash, he got pulled over by the dog.

tkat
I would do as suggested. Threaten to report it and I suspect that you'll get a reaction. I agree that he should be responsible for any damages and medical.

Hurry Up Every Chance You Get

(formerly LuctorEtEmergo)
Quote Reply
Re: Bit by a dog [baxnelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think anytime there needs to be any sort of payment/compensation, it is always best to go straight to the cops (it sucks because cops are corrupt, self ritous(sp?) assholes like described above). But from a legal standpoint, having it record sure does help.
Quote Reply
Re: Bit by a dog [LuctorEtEmergo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is what I am saying, not like the OP could actually have the dog "put to sleep" but the thought of having your dog put to sleep over its behavior should work to light a fire under the dog owners ass.
Last edited by: IRONLOBO: Jan 29, 08 11:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They have had adequate time to make things right or at least to say "hey, I will get you the money next week". It's time to turn up the heat.
Quote Reply
Re: Bit by a dog [baxnelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Baxnelly

Your mistake wasn't being a nice guy. It was stepping to the toes of the police. I've been there, done that and got the exact same reaction you got.

The police went to the vandals house and found out that I had already talked to him and arrangements were made for him to clean up, re-paint, and pay for the damages. 2 weeks later when the little $h!t never showed up and I re-involved the police I was the bad guy. Basically for doing thier job.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, a dog that is out of a house and a lease and bites, is a dog just waiting to kill someone.
As these kinds of issues have been talked before, if you have a dog that bites and you risk taking
it outside, great, but if it bites someone, be willing to pay the price, IMO.
Again, accountability.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly, cops suck.
Quote Reply
Re: Bit by a dog [IRONLOBO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think anytime there needs to be any sort of payment/compensation, it is always best to go straight to the cops (it sucks because cops are corrupt, self ritous(sp?) assholes like described above). But from a legal standpoint, having it record sure does help.
Although one time I was out walking my dogs and another guys dogs bit one of mine. Weirdest thing, I had two labs, he had three labs and all three of his attacked my male dog. Anyway I got his name and took my dog to the vet and he paid the $400 bill to have mine stitched up no problem. Of course I later found out he was or used to date the female vet so she knew the guy and the dogs, so that may have helped smooth things along.

Report the dog bite now. At least in Illinois, the dog is required to have a vet exam and a 10 day period of observation and another vet exam clearing it to be around people again. It is also required to be chipped in the event that it bites again so that it may be identified. You don't know if this is the first time the dog has bitten. The next time it may be a toddler the dog is trying to herd--usually they nip, but you can sustain a puncture wound. You owe it the the rest of the public to make sure that owner learns to control his dog. Also, how do you know the dog has been vaccinated. You would be amazed at the number of people who do not vaccinate their dog because they don't think the risk of rabies and distemper is very high.

Next, make sure your wound is healing well and not infected. Dogs carry Pasteurella and all sorts of other bacteria that they can transmit through the puncture wound. If your joint gets infected, you risk permanent damage.

Sorry, but this dog owner had the chance to be responsible and failed. The onus is on you to make him responsible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Baxnelly

Your mistake wasn't being a nice guy. It was stepping to the toes of the police. I've been there, done that and got the exact same reaction you got.

The police went to the vandals house and found out that I had already talked to him and arrangements were made for him to clean up, re-paint, and pay for the damages. 2 weeks later when the little $h!t never showed up and I re-involved the police I was the bad guy. Basically for doing thier job.
The sad thing was the guy called me kissing my ass the next day. I tried to tell the cop that I was fine giving the guy the benefit of the doubt but they just kept bitching me out. If I ever kick someones door in I'll just call them the next day and when the cops show up tell them everything is hunky dory. I just couldn't believe the cop never even followed up to see if I did in fact talk to the guy other than taking his word for it. That is what pissed me off.

That is also why I think the OP should go "Official" and notify someone before too long.

very good point, when I was younger, like 12-13, my younger sister (4 years younger) was totally mangled by a chow that was on a leash, it fucked her up bad and bit her eye and stuff like that, I remember my dad literally kicking the dog to get it to stop biting her, it was really scary. She ended up being alright but had to get lots of shots and stitches, we were really lucky because it happened right in front of the Hospital in the small town I grew up in.

I had to make a police report a few years back because I was running and some gangster asshole had his pit bull off its leash and it came after me, I landed a great kick to the side of the dogs head a split second before it got me, the guy came up to me and started shoving me around, I warned him, but he thought I was somehow out of line, he proceeded to try and start a fight with me, it didn't turn out to well for him....physically or legally.
Quote Reply
Re: Bit by a dog [IRONLOBO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Exactly, cops suck.[/reply]

Yeah, good one!!! All cops suck, we should get rid of them.
Quote Reply
Re: Bit by a dog [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That statement is absolutely ridiculous.

Just becuase a dog nipped or bit by no means make it a killer. As a runner and a biker I also accept my responsibility recognizing that I appear as a threat to the dog and it's territory. If I come a cross a owner walking his pet I give plenty of room so the dog does not precieve me as a threat.

On my bike route, I call the farmer to let him know I will be peddeling by and to please have someone in the yard or have the dogs tied up. They do not mean me harm, they are protecting thier territory.

Quote Reply
Re: Bit by a dog [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What ever your course of action, Make sure the owner pays the price and not the dog. Dogs are animals and maybe thought it was protecting his owner.
Its the owners responsibility, I would hate to see a dog put down

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: Bit by a dog [LittleRingMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Valid point, I'd have to consider next time I get bit.

Quote Reply
Re: Bit by a dog [colby995] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a lighter note, this past Saturday I was riding with this guy and as we came down this hill, like 30 mph this border collie started coming right at us, I was like aw shit because it was going to end badly, the dog had the right trajectory and we were to close and going to fast. Tee other rider calmly pulled out his bottle from the cage and gently tossed it at the dog (not hard enough to cause any damage) It worked like a charm and scared the crap out of the dog, it turned around and ran away even faster than it was running at us. saved the day.
Quote Reply
Re: Bit by a dog [hammydad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
[reply]Exactly, cops suck.[/reply]

Yeah, good one!!! All cops suck, we should get rid of them.
Not all of them, I need some to arrest the Albuquerque gangsters. There are just tons of drug dealing law breaking, traffic light running, tailgating, drunk driving, corrupt cops where I live, I don't hold much stock in them to protect me.
Quote Reply

Prev Next