Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best Wetsuit for an experienced swimmer?
Quote | Reply
Any suggestions? Looking for something sleeveless - definitely! Thanks for the advice...

"I ain't never been nothin' but a winner"
Paul "Bear" Bryant
Roll Tide!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Best Wetsuit for an experienced swimmer? [chitide1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second the sleeveless, a must IMO for a swimmer. I use a QR sleeveless, not the high end one, it is a few years old and works just fine for me. I can get you the style type if you need.

----------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Quote Reply
Re: Best Wetsuit for an experienced swimmer? [hasbeenswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate it - I'll look the QR Sleeveless up online - thanks!

Paul "Bear" Bryant
Roll Tide!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why sleeveless?

My first wetsuit was sleeveless because I thought I wanted to added 'feel' of the water, and the unrestricted upper body movement.

Those in the know all say that with everything else being equal, a full suit is faster.

I have been using a DeSoto T1 for about 4 years now and really like it. The top is super supple and easy to get on right so it doesn't restrict my stroke.

I was a decent high school and college swimmer, and swim sub 30 for a 1/2 and sub 55 for an IM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want the "Best Wetsuit for an experienced swimmer" you will not get a sleeveless suit. Suits with sleeves are faster. I was stressed about this at first also, as I swam from age 6-22; however, once I put on a full sleeve suit for the first time I was completely blown away. If you insist upon no sleeves, then pretty much all of the suits are the same, so go with the cheapest.

There is a reason 95+% of the pros wear full-suits when wetsuits are allowed; fullsuits are faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DeSoto T1. The two piece design will give you the best range of motion. Besides that the Aquaman MetalCell and QRoo Superfull seem to have the most flexible cut through the shoulders, and are the suits that most of the top swimmers I train with use. I also know some very fast swimmers that love the BlueSeventy Helix and the new Orca Apex2. There are a lot of great suits out there. Give them a go. For the one piece suits, it seems to be very dependent on body type.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Best Wetsuit for an experienced swimmer? [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After reading these replies I guess I am thinking a bit more about my thoughts when I bought my suit.

First I was on a big budget, and was worried about flexibility of cheaper full sleeve suits, and was not going to pay for a top end suit. I think I paid about $100 for my QR at the time. If memory serves a top end full sleeve was close to $400 so there is a big price difference.

Second I am a big time overheater- so I actually wanted the sleevless to try to keep a bit cooler in the water.

----------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Quote Reply
Re: Best Wetsuit for an experienced swimmer? [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a reason 95+% of the pros wear full-suits when wetsuits are allowed; fullsuits are faster.

Ahhh, but they don't have the same temp cut-off as us ag'ers, so overheating not an issue with the pros. I'm currently looking at some full sleeve suits, though have never been in sub 74 degree water in a race, so not sure it's worth risk of overheating and shoulder restriction, at least at HIM and IM distance. OD a different animal.

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Best Wetsuit for an experienced swimmer? [Terra-Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My T1 has no shoulder restrictions, IMO.

I have raced in water probably 80 and was okay.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm looking mainly for OD, 1/2, and ultimately full distances. I jsut don't want the shoulder / arm restriction. If there's a full out there that doesn't restrict my movement - then I'm all for it.

Paul "Bear" Bryant
Roll Tide!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For Ironman events, the Pro's DO have the same wetsuit cutoff - 78. There is actually a petition to change this to be inline with USAT's 72F cutoff. This is why Clearwater last year was wetsuit legal, which was AWFUL. Hawaii is, as far as I know, the only Ironman that is non-wetsuit on a regular basis.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Best Wetsuit for an experienced swimmer? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordan,

Where is the love for Nineteen? :) Our Frequency tests very well shoulder to shoulder, pun intended, with all the top wetsuits from other manufacturers that you mentioned.

We are certainly not the biggest, but we are growing rapidly and one of the big reasons for that is the fit and flexibility of the Frequency.

I agree with you that body type is key for one piece wetsuit fit.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep reading about all these people that think a little arm restriction is worse than death. If something 'restricts your arms' by 10%, but gives you an 18% increase in speed, isn't that worth the hassle? (I am just throwing % numbers out there - you could call it 5% vs. 10%)
Quote Reply
Re: Best Wetsuit for an experienced swimmer? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was before breakfast! And I still can't forget the first summer I showed up in Victoria and I was basically the only swimmer not in an Aquaman... :) I do know of several good swimmers that use Nineteen (Jonnyo, Kyle Jones, and of course, uberswimmer Andrew McCartney). And last time I was in FrontRunners, I checked out your sleeve & shoulders and they were very nice.

Quote Reply
Re: Best Wetsuit for an experienced swimmer? [Todder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if that'd be the case, then yes - I'd take the trade - but not sure if that's the case. Also, it's a matter of comfort and "feel".

Paul "Bear" Bryant
Roll Tide!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you read the posts above - you can be sure that is the case. If you want comfort and "feel", you are welcome to stick with a Speedo for the least restriction and greatest feel, followed by a sleeveless wetsuit, and you can continue to be slower than you would be in a top-o-the-line fullsuit with the proper fit.

I don't intend to be harsh (sarcastic-usually; harsh-usually not), but you would be the exception to the rule if you are one of the very rare people who is actually faster in a sleeveless. Most of the people that think they are faster in sleeveless had a poor fit in the fullsuit, or did not put it on correctly (everybody needs a wedgie sometimes). I have had several friends (both strong swimmers and weaker swimmers) that hated their fullsuit until I stood over their shoulder and made them pull it up higher and higher in the crotch until they didn't have pressure on their shoulders. World of difference for most people.

One of the best internet write-ups for wetsuit installation I have ever seen is on Bikesport Michigan's website. Say what you will about Tom Demerly and his articles, but that one should be printed out and included with every wetsuit purchase.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Wetsuit for an experienced swimmer? [Todder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I recently tested my present sleeveless with a top of the line full suit, doing 2 x 200 and 1 x 300 scy in each. Recorded time and ending hr. Intended to do more but underestimated the time (and energy) requirement to change suits. Water was warmish at 82 degrees.

Sleeveless: 2:43/113 2:44/122 4:12/122
Full: 2:32/125 2:37/128 4:06/131

My baseline time for non wetsuit 200 is 3:00. After the first 200, I was ready to make the switch to full, though didn't like the trend by the time the 300 rolled around, especially with the heavy feeling in the shoulders.

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It should be pointed out that whatever suit you get, you'll need time to adapt to it, so you will be a little slower (or at best only a little faster) at first. But soon you adapt and find your new swimming centre of gravity - only then can you be sure if you are relatively faster regardless of type.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Wetsuit for an experienced swimmer? [NM_123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes - given. Anything new takes time to adapt - thanks!!

Paul "Bear" Bryant
Roll Tide!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Best Wetsuit for an experienced swimmer? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As long as we are on the rader-screen of the Rappstar it's all good for me!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went with a sleeveless for my first wetsuit years ago. Also a lifetime swimmer, like yourself. Have since moved to a fullsuit with no regrets.

I using a blueseventy helix now which I really love.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AAAA! don't do it!!! miserable pieces of fabric called "wetsuits." What they DON'T tell you is that you can't feel water anywhere - not on your forearms, or sliding off your back and shoulders, or on your legs as you kick lightly. It takes that intimate, water-kissed feeling out of swimming. Oh, and they feel like you've got an extra layer of puppy fat, and if you forget bodyglide they'll chafe your neck...

love from,
a fishie who really does not like her wetsuit

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Last edited by: tigerchik: Aug 20, 07 14:19
Quote Reply
Re: Best Wetsuit for an experienced swimmer? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh - I'm so confused! Do I, don't I? I've had a sleeveless- and feel is so important to me - but I'd love to shave some additional time off my swim.

Paul "Bear" Bryant
Roll Tide!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh - I'm so confused!

There should be no confusion. Dan Empfield, the publisher of Slowtwitch, the founder of QR and the Godfather of the triathlon wetsuit was on the forum the other day saying - in all circumstances swim in a full suit! It will be faster. How much more clarity and authority do you need?

Look at the ITU circut. Swim speed as ABSOLUTLY critical to being successful on the ITU circut - if you are off by 5 - 10 seconds your day could be done! So when wetsuits are allowed, they ALL swim in full suits!

Last edited by: Fleck: Aug 20, 07 18:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Oh - I'm so confused! Do I, don't I? I've had a sleeveless- and feel is so important to me - but I'd love to shave some additional time off my swim.

This is an easy one. If you want to feel the water, wear as little as possible. If you want to be fast(er), wear the fullsuit.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply

Prev Next