Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Best Aero Wheels on a Budget?
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to pick up some aero wheels before next season and was wondering what kind of time savings there is between Zipp and a cheaper product like plantet x or sram wheels. I will be doing my first HIM this upcoming summer and quite a number of shorter races so I was thinking 808/1080 combo or the equivilent from another brand... I ride around 21 mph for an olympic but have invested in a coach this winter so I imagine I should be around 22-23 by the spring if all goes well. Wasn't sure if speed matters much in terms of time savings so I figured I would include it.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Aero Wheels on a Budget? [slowandfat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's your budget? There seem to be some good deals every now-and-then in the ST Classifieds on used wheels.

Victor

================================
blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Best Aero Wheels on a Budget? [Bell Head] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably $1000 tops... but less would be great
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wheel cover for whatever training wheel you have, and what ever 58mm+ front you can find.

You can easily accomplish what you want for way less than 1k.

Right now there is a hed tri spoke on ebay for less than 500 with a little over a day.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm channeling jackmott here, but I'd say get a powertap in a generic box rim for the rear with a powertap. Generic being Mavic Open Pro 32-spoke, or comparable. Then, get a used HED3 front, and a wheelcover from wheelbuilder.com. This combination is 99% as fast as anything out there. And you get a power meter and a training wheel. This post is assuming you don't already have one. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Best Aero Wheels on a Budget? [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sorry to be such a newbie but can i throw a wheel cover on a set of bontrager training wheels i have been they are a little more aero than just a standard wheel on my old road bike...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yes. check out the URL from the poster below me. you go to wheelbuilder.com and put in the specs from your wheel and they create a wheel cover for you.

take your cassette off and put the wheel cover on with the included screws. don't forget to electrical tape around the edge, it will make the wheel cover a little bit more quieter and then reinstall your cassette. You just got about 90% of the performance of a real disk.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
see sig

In Reply To:
sorry to be such a newbie but can i throw a wheel cover on a set of bontrager training wheels i have been they are a little more aero than just a standard wheel on my old road bike...

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Best Aero Wheels on a Budget? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can we make Jack sticky on the front page?
Quote Reply
Re: Best Aero Wheels on a Budget? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
love the new sig. This is ST101.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
planet x 82/101 combo is $799 on ebay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.planet-x-usa.com/...ubular-Wheelset.aspx

Quote Reply
Re: Best Aero Wheels on a Budget? [KEAU] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
planet x 82/101 combo is $799 on ebay.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread

Michael
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipps, FP's, Real Design, Heds off of ebay. Watch bid at last minute and check sellers feedback before bidding.

Quote | Reply
Buy secondhand zipp or hed. disc, 1080, 808 or stinger9 for rear 404 or stinger6 for the front
wouldnt bother with a wheel cover
wouldnt bother with a power meter
808 on the front can be affected by cross winds if you only have one race wheel for the front better with a 60mm rim for all conditions

M@TTY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hard to beat this bang for the buck deal on Neuvation if you'll go to a 50 front. I'd then add a wheel cover to the rear.

http://www.neuvationcycling.com/wheels.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wheel cover on the back and wait time Renn starts selling single wheels after the first of the year for the front. New wheel with great customer service.

Jay
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm looking to pick up some aero wheels before next season and was wondering what kind of time savings there is between Zipp and a cheaper product like plantet x or sram wheels. I will be doing my first HIM this upcoming summer and quite a number of shorter races so I was thinking 808/1080 combo or the equivilent from another brand... I ride around 21 mph for an olympic but have invested in a coach this winter so I imagine I should be around 22-23 by the spring if all goes well. Wasn't sure if speed matters much in terms of time savings so I figured I would include it.

Ebay...

You can do well for $1000 if you search wisely

Team Aquaphor 06-08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have four letters for you:

USED

You can get a great set for sometimes as little as $100 plus shipping; and it will be 90-95% of what you buy new now adays.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
see sig

In Reply To:
Your signature summarizes all my time spent reading on this site for 5 years...

Team Aquaphor 06-08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a ritchey carbon fiber front wheel I can let go fairly cheap
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
like others have said...USED. if you're VERY patient you can find screaming deals on fleabay. i got a renn disc and a zipp 404 front with tires/skewers shipped to me for $358.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
Michael in Fresno
"Do you spend time with your family? Good. Because a man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man" V. Corleone
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
be patient and look around alot. like the poster above, i also was able to find a "like new" renn 575 clincher disc and a pre-dimples zipp 404 clincher front for less than $500 (canadian dollars) total.

- The Who
Quote Reply
Re: Best Aero Wheels on a Budget? [ironcouple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
got my SRAM 80 front (used off of slowtwitch) and rear wheel cover (wheelbuilder.com) for just over 600 bucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It took me 3 months of looking, but I got a new Renn clincher disc off ebay that someone bought and never used, and an 808 clincher off here that was new as well. Total bill was 1k.
Quote Reply

Prev Next