Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
A's might actually not be wetsuit legal for once
Quote | Reply
It's always been wetsuit legal when I've done it (the past 5 years or so). Temp in the Bay is currently 78.1. They always seem to find a "cool spot" to measure, but still, they can only fudge it so much. I know there are some people who depend on a wetsuit for that swim. Somewhere, someone is panicking.
Quote Reply
Re: A's might actually not be wetsuit legal for once [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait, you mean triathletes might have to swim unaided?! I LOVE non-wetsuit swims personally... Swimming in a wetsuit is like an all-downhill bike route...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
willmillertriathlon.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: A's might actually not be wetsuit legal for once [Spiridon Louis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There'll be a lot of purple there........

.......the magic thermometer will come out. ;-)

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a bad swimmer, but I really wish RDs and organizing bodies would stop coddling us. Is it so hard to expect someone to be able to complete the whole race in order to call themselves a finisher?

I wonder how much better at swimming I'd be if I knew I wouldn't be able to wear a wetsuit.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: A's might actually not be wetsuit legal for once [WillPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here! Here!
When I become King of all triathlons, all competitors wishing to use wetsuits will have to put them on AFTER the start. It will be LeMans type start with all those addicted to neoprene having to run to a spot, put on their rubber floaties and then start the swim.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: A's might actually not be wetsuit legal for once [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think wetsuits are fine, if you carry it with you the whole race.........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely wetsuits are great for us non-swimmers...it limits our damage in the water so we can rock our strengths(bike/run).
Quote Reply
Re: A's might actually not be wetsuit legal for once [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After you guys put on a tri or an open water swim, let us know if your opinion on wetsuits has changed.

When you are responsible for hundreds of lives in the water, you'll understand why race directors stretch the rules a little bit.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: A's might actually not be wetsuit legal for once [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have to say, if the wetsuit is making you significantly safer in water, you probably don't belong there. I know it won't happen, but it would be great if people could recognize their limits swimming. I am constantly amazed that people who KNOW they have trouble swimming a certain distance will still put themselves at risk by trying it. Swimming is the only portion where this can get you in trouble. Not being able to complete the bike or run doesn't put your life in danger like swimming does. I know wetsuits aren't going away because the masses love them, but there's no doubt they give far more of an advantage to non-swimmers and I think it's a bummer when they're allowed at temperatures that are clearly above the cutoff. (I'm thinking of Nation's Tri last year...bathwater-like Potomac and you should have a heard the cheer that went up when they announced wetsuits would be allowed. And yes, I wore one, too. I'm certainly not giving up and advantage that everyone else has...)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's too warm for wetsuits here for ocean swims from mid-late May to late October, and not only can't I remember anyone having to make a serious swim rescue but we also get very few kayak-hangers outside of extreme water condition situations. We've got a lot of slower swimmers, but those slow swimmers still know and respect the Gulf and understand how to handle swimming in it. I'd say 80%+ of the locals do their first triathlon in races where the floaties aren't allowed, and it's like no big deal they can't use them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Here! Here!
When I become King of all triathlons, all competitors wishing to use wetsuits will have to put them on AFTER the start. It will be LeMans type start with all those addicted to neoprene having to run to a spot, put on their rubber floaties and then start the swim.
I second that!
Quote Reply
Re: A's might actually not be wetsuit legal for once [Chubbly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I think wetsuits are fine, if you carry it with you the whole race.........
As long as you run carrying your bike, you may have a deal....

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excuse my ignorance, which race is this?

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: A's might actually not be wetsuit legal for once [JulianInEngland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
St Anthony's in St Petersburg, FL.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt
Quote Reply
Re: A's might actually not be wetsuit legal for once [David in FL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. I was going through iconic race in my head but didn't think of St. Anthony's as "A" and it seemed way too early for Alcatraz!

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Last edited by: JulianInEngland: Apr 22, 09 6:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally, I don't need a wetsuit, I'm a fairly decent triathlon swimmer.

I agree that there are many people that don't belong there, as a race director how would one determine who does and who doesn't? Should he just look at everyone and say to certain people "You are doing the duathlon."

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: A's might actually not be wetsuit legal for once [simplyred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Here! Here!
I second that!

And then all you swimmers will still get passed on the bike. It will just take us an extra minute or so to do it. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meh - I'm kind of hoping it isn't - dealing with the wetsuit is a pain in the ass (although as a 27 min-ish Oly swimmer it definitely helps my time). Do they make the call on race morning or the day before?

----------------------------------------------------------

If it's a YMCA pool, the lightning wanders around the locker room naked for an hour, then uses the blow dryer on its junk. -lunchbox
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Here! Here!

BEST idea I've heard in a long time! love it!

Yeah, I've been to 3 races now where the water was way too warm for wetsuits in the days leading up to the race. Then magically, the temp drops the morning of the race. The first two times I didn't bring my wetsuit to the race. When the gun sounded, I spent the next 20-30mins cussing the race director while in my head "everyone is passing me right now". The 3rd time I knew better and brought it anyway. Thankfully I wear a sleeveless because it was pretty hot out there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Wait, you mean triathletes might have to swim unaided?! I LOVE non-wetsuit swims personally... Swimming in a wetsuit is like an all-downhill bike route...

If you're going to ban wetsuits why don't we ban disc wheels as well? What about running shoes?

You can swim fine without a wetsuit, but you can also ride fine without a disc wheel. What's the difference?
Quote Reply
Re: A's might actually not be wetsuit legal for once [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

If you're going to ban wetsuits why don't we ban disc wheels as well? What about running shoes?

You can swim fine without a wetsuit, but you can also ride fine without a disc wheel. What's the difference?

Yea, that is right! You tell him Kiwi!!!
Why don't you just ban paddles and fins as well? Then we will see how well you do
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couldn't agree more!

Wetsuits also provide a bit of safety. I was kicked in the head and blacked out for a few, who knows what would have happened if I was not wearing a wetsuit!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the issue we're discussing using them when the temperature is not appropriate. Wetsuits are meant to provide warmth not speed, but with technology today they do both. I don't think they should be banned, but when it's warm enough to go without, I would love the rule to be enforced. (By the way, there ARE some races where disc are banned...) You don't need a disc or even running shoes to prevent hypothermia... you do need a wetsuit when it's cold enough...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think the issue we're discussing using them when the temperature is not appropriate. Wetsuits are meant to provide warmth not speed, but with technology today they do both. I don't think they should be banned, but when it's warm enough to go without, I would love the rule to be enforced. (By the way, there ARE some races where disc are banned...) You don't need a disc or even running shoes to prevent hypothermia... you do need a wetsuit when it's cold enough...

That makes more sense. Sure, enforce the rule when necessary. Wearing a wetsuit when its too warm is likely to slow some people down!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How was the 78 degrees measured? I just got an email from someone who lives there and said the temp is currently 68. Either way i'll bring my wetsuit if I get to use it fine..if not that's cool too. We swim in pools all year long without one..soooooooo :-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next