Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

650 ZIPP 404 clincher question
Quote | Reply
Was helping a friend out by giving his wifes bike a race prep before an upcoming triathlon. The bike checked out fine but when I went to swap out the tires for some new ones, and I could hardly get the tires off?!?!? And then it was equally as hard to put some new ones on! (Michelin Pro Races) I have NEVER had such difficulty with tires. My wife rides a bike w/ 650 wheels and they are no problem.
  • Is this true for all 650 Zipp 404 wheelsets? They are about 4 years old.
  • Is there a better tire to use?

Just wasn't sure there was something I'm missing here. She would be completely out of luck if she flatted.
Last edited by: nccyclist: Sep 23, 05 16:56
Quote Reply
Re: 650 ZIPP 404 clincher question [nccyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a bit of discrepancy between tire size and wheel size. Each manufacturer makes slightly different dimensions. The Zipp rims might be slightly large and the Michelins slightly small. A different brand would probably be a little easier to mount.

The Pro Race tires will stretch out a bit if you mount them and pump the tires up to a high pressure, thus making it slightly easier to get them on/off. Might take a couple of days though.

-Darrell

-Darrell

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had same problems with Michelin 20 tires on Zipp 404 700's; since a 650 is generally a little tighter anyway, i can only imagine what you were dealing with. When i put Vittoirias 23s on the Zipps, went on just fine. You experienced the combo of 650s , tight rims & a tight-fitting tire. Different tires are obviously the variable to change.

what means this word 'change'? .....
Rappstar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ProRace tires are a tight tollerance.
Make sure your rim tape is not excessive. If the rim tape is not allowing the tire to bottom out on the rim, putting the tire on is hell.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem with Michelin Pro Race tires (on 650 wheels.) They are worth the fuss, though... I really love those tires. Next time I see them on sale, I'm gonna load up on them.

-Mark Rebuck, http://www.markrebuck.com/
Quote Reply