Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT
Quote | Reply
It’s GT time. Seems pretty wide open, what with Tom “Wait Up” Domoulin just rounding into form and Chris “Weezer” Froome looking less like a super freak. Expect the unexpected at the Giro. Snow, dysentery in the ranks, podium babes who don’t mind being called podium babes, it has it all. Abondanza.
Let’s chop it up.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone know if DirecTv is airing ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting route with Israel, Sicily, the length of Italy, and the mountain stages. Froome's got the impending (any day now?) decision hanging over his head, and he won't have quite the same level of support he's had in the TdF (even though any Sky B-team is stronger than most any other team's A-team), but he'll be angry. Angry Froome for the win (although almost anyone else winning would be a nice surprise). I'm looking forward to the start!

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not ready to make a pick just yet, but I think I speak for many cycling fans when I say I am pretty excited to finally see Doumalin and Froome go head to head, my feeling is that if anyone current rider has the weapons to take down From it is Doumalin. as he can hang tough in the climbs and actually TAKE tome off asthma boy in the TT's, so Froome can't rely on the fact that he can always take time back in the TT, like he knows he can do when racing, Quninata, Nibali, Bardet etc...

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am backing George Bennett to get on the podium...but I'm a biased NZer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man i love the Giro, i think it’s the best grand tour.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be cool to see Gorge Bennet on the podium, I think he has the talent but so far hasn't shown that he can ride a full grand tour without a bad day, where he loses 5 minutes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well Sky seem to have started trying to shine up froomes image:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkKMH3DI3pw
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [Fusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When is Chris Froome's baby due? I have a feeling he is putting it ALL into the GIRO so he can spend time at home with baby number 2.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:

I do too. Unfortunately, this year will be less exciting with the Sky train which is a real drag.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [tlc13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tlc13 wrote:
TriguyBlue wrote:

I do too. Unfortunately, this year will be less exciting with the Sky train which is a real drag.

I don't know, that Sky start list doesn't exactly strike terror in me. And Sky hasn't looked good in the Classics, even by Sky standards for Classics.

(Froome aside)
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
tlc13 wrote:
TriguyBlue wrote:

I don't know, that Sky start list doesn't exactly strike terror in me. And Sky hasn't looked good in the Classics, even by Sky standards for Classics.

(Froome aside)

I'm not so worried about the Sky train as much as the lack of "animators" in this year's Giro. Without Nibali, Quintana, or Contador...who's going on the long range attacks? The Giro is generally set up with nastier climbs on the mountain stages that rewards early action and smaller GC groups. I don't really see the field comprising of those types of GC riders though. TD and Froome are much more steady state guys. Pinot I imagine is going to be stage hunting to prepare for the TdF. Not sure about how Aru is running this year.

Somehow the Giro tends to work itself out and be great racing though.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking forward to see Lopez go. He certainly is upbeat and confident
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
weezer. i like it. is that your own?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

of course....all original material from McNutty on ST....
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
trail wrote:
tlc13 wrote:
TriguyBlue wrote:

(Froome aside)

I'm not so worried about the Sky train as much as the lack of "animators" in this year's Giro. Without Nibali, Quintana, or Contador...who's going on the long range attacks? The Giro is generally set up with nastier climbs on the mountain stages that rewards early action and smaller GC groups. I don't really see the field comprising of those types of GC riders though. TD and Froome are much more steady state guys. Pinot I imagine is going to be stage hunting to prepare for the TdF. Not sure about how Aru is running this year.

Somehow the Giro tends to work itself out and be great racing though.

I think the absence of a dominant team will make for unpredictable racing and will open the door for some stage hunting from some talented dark horses who may fall out of the GC hunt........Woods, Dennis, Bennett, Formolo, maybe.
Aru, Pinot I can see on the podium if they stay up front and safe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for not chiming in...Jerusalem, Mt. Etna, Zocolan, Vatican City Finish...what's not to like of the best of the three grand tours!!! The 9K Jerusalem TT should be awesome and we'll see what form Froome and Dumoulin have. I still think that the Dutch Windmill should ditch the Giro and just do the TdF and make all the midget climbing robots hurt with all the cobbles in week on on that stage race!!! I think this Giro will be better than the TdF (again)!!! On the one hand I want Dumoulin to take it, on the other hand Froome could hold the Grand Slam of Grand Tours after this if he can take the win (before getting ejected for his doping violation from last year's Vuelta, but whatever)!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as a kiwi i'm rooting for Bennett - exciting to have someone a genuine GC contender after most of our top riders coming out of the track program and being sprinter/rouleur types (especially in a country where the media are so uneducated about cycling they comment on how our sprinter is down in 150th overall). realistically, another top 10 would be great for George with a top 5 a dream result. a stage win along the way would be amazing.

i'd love to see Pinot win it - a new GT winner over the establishment (esp Froome) and he seems to race with some passion, especially in Italy. Hard to see past Froome and Dumoulin though really. i'd rate those 3 the likely podium. interesting that all 3 of them are probably doing le tour too

Will be interesting to see if Aru can pull himself back together after a shaky couple of years. although the GC field is pretty good, he seems the only real contender to shake up the above likely podium beyond a lower step for someone in the event of one of the top guys having issues. Dumoulin is a definite possibility to have issues - its only his 2nd time targeting GC and he's doing it under the pressure of defending champ with a shaky early season.

the giro is almost always a great race and unpredictable. hard to get a read on the form of the contenders compared to TdF deeper into the season where most guys are showing where they are at
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/giro-ditalia-10-non-gc-riders-to-watch/

Looking forward to fewer pure sprint stages and rollers like Wellens and Herman getting away for a stage win.
Last edited by: McNulty: May 2, 18 6:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Slowman wrote:

of course....all original material from McNutty on ST....

I like Puff Daddy. (not mine).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just created my velogames.com team

Looks like the Slowtwitch league from last year is still there.

League Code: 521835710
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good work, McNulty.

Got to throw out to Mike Woods too. Will be interesting to see if he can build on Vuelta and Liege successes.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [ChrisC42780] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisC42780 wrote:
I just created my velogames.com team

Looks like the Slowtwitch league from last year is still there.

League Code: 521835710

Entered! Perfect timing, I just made my team on there yesterday.

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Re: 2018 Giro D’Italia- SPOILER ALERT [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Good work, McNulty.

Got to throw out to Mike Woods too. Will be interesting to see if he can build on Vuelta and Liege successes.

yep, for sure............i'm pulling for him all the way.........i think he could hang in for a top ten, maybe a stage if GC things go south......i haven't looked closely at Ef but I think they're riding for him...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
tlc13 wrote:
TriguyBlue wrote:

(Froome aside)

Also Froome tends to like the unexpected attack, he often animates rather dull stages. I agree that other than Tom nobody else will provide a real challenge to Froome. His form seems suspect after last week but he has always been the master at timing his taper to perfection.
Quote Reply

Prev Next