Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2011 felt DA/quarq/ hollowgram
Quote | Reply
Just got my New DA and my lbs ran into a problem with the hollogram/ quarq with 7900 chain rings. Seems that the electronics are hitting the frame. We are going to try the hollowgram/srm spindle. Has anybody tried this combo ? Or what other crankset is viable?

2011 Cannondale Caad10
2008 Cannondale 29er 2
2011 Felt Da
Quote Reply
Re: 2011 felt DA/quarq/ hollowgram [middlepack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Were you abel to get some more information on this issue?
I am also planning on installing Quark with Lightning cranks on my DA. If that does not work I will look for a Hollowgram SL with SRM.

Thanks,
Alex
Quote Reply
Re: 2011 felt DA/quarq/ hollowgram [Alexn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the new DA w/ the SRAM 975 crank/Quarq combo. No problems here..just rode it loooong! Did have to re-adjust the high set screw though.

Quote | Reply
The problem I ran into is the bb30 crankset with the quarq. The massiveness of the frame around the bottom bracket didn't leave clearance for the electronics of the quarq. luckily my lbs also has a machine shop and they modified the spindle . I would have just sent it back to quarq and got a non bb30 crankset but I used it for a couple months on my caad10. I don't think any bb30 crankset witha quarq will work without modifying the spindle. The bike and crankset are great together. todays ride 70 miles @ 260 watts

2011 Cannondale Caad10
2008 Cannondale 29er 2
2011 Felt Da
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
70 miles at 260W? Holy smokes, that's big boy stuff! I was a meager 105 miles at 217W:(

I failed to mention, I have a GXP spindle with the BB30 adapter from Felt. Leaves plenty of clearance AND room to double-side tape my magnet shinned outboard a bit to be close enough to pick up.

You're right about the BB30, you'd be very close to the frame. Even if you have clearance, not sure you could squeeze in the magnet.

Write Quarq and or Super Dave here on ST to see if they have any insight. If you're in San Diego I could help take a look.

Quote | Reply
middlepack wrote:
I don't think any bb30 crankset witha quarq will work without modifying the spindle.

not true.

i've used bb30 quarqs on 4 bikes -- specialized roubaix s-works sl, roubaix s-works sl2, tarmac s-works sl3, and kestrel 4000. all worked without any frame modifications. the roubaix were a little tricky with magnet placement. the tarmac (press fit 30) was easier, and the kestrel 4000 presented no difficulty.
Quote Reply
Re: 2011 felt DA/quarq/ hollowgram [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tetonrider wrote:
middlepack wrote:
I don't think any bb30 crankset witha quarq will work without modifying the spindle.

not true.

i've used bb30 quarqs on 4 bikes -- specialized roubaix s-works sl, roubaix s-works sl2, tarmac s-works sl3, and kestrel 4000. all worked without any frame modifications. the roubaix were a little tricky with magnet placement. the tarmac (press fit 30) was easier, and the kestrel 4000 presented no difficulty.

It will not work on a 2011 Felt DA which is bb30 . At least a hollowgram/quarq/7900 chainring combo will not work on a DA without modifying the spindle. but it wasn't even close

2011 Cannondale Caad10
2008 Cannondale 29er 2
2011 Felt Da
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
middlepack wrote:
It will not work on a 2011 Felt DA which is bb30 . At least a hollowgram/quarq/7900 chainring combo will not work on a DA without modifying the spindle. but it wasn't even close

right--gotcha re: the felt and your crankset. what i was responding to was when you wrote this up above:
middlepack wrote:
"I don't think any bb30 crankset witha quarq will work without modifying the spindle"

that was an unfair statement based on one combo you tried.

i'm surprised you got DA7900 rings working with the cinqo. i didn't think that was possible. i've used DA 7800, but maybe that's specific to the particular cinqo/crankset combo.

anyway, sorry for your troubles. i've found the bb30 frames often have beefier bottom brackets which can make things a little more challenging for magnet placement, but not incompatible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ps would you mind taking 2 photographs, one of your frame's bottom bracket (without cranks) and another of the inside of the drive-side crank/spider/rings? if you post those, i'd love to understand where the interference is happening, to see if i can help and to learn for the future.

based on what i see, i may be able to see if one of the cranksets i use could fit on your frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
middlepack wrote:
The problem I ran into is the bb30 crankset with the quarq. The massiveness of the frame around the bottom bracket didn't leave clearance for the electronics of the quarq. luckily my lbs also has a machine shop and they modified the spindle . I would have just sent it back to quarq and got a non bb30 crankset but I used it for a couple months on my caad10. I don't think any bb30 crankset witha quarq will work without modifying the spindle. The bike and crankset are great together. todays ride 70 miles @ 260 watts

How would a non BB30 crankset differ? (sorry...do not know much about BB30 yet) Is it because it uses BB30 cups giving you some extra space that would be needed like in this picture?
http://www.lightningbikes.com/SP1_6644_dev.jpg

I am trying to figure out what would work before buying the stuff.

Thanks a lot for the help,

Alex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quarq did the assembly. I wanted to stay with the 7900 rings with the di2. I know many have had succes with other rings. But didn't make sence to me to change it up

2011 Cannondale Caad10
2008 Cannondale 29er 2
2011 Felt Da
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alexn wrote:
middlepack wrote:

How would a non BB30 crankset differ? (sorry...do not know much about BB30 yet) Is it because it uses BB30 cups giving you some extra space that would be needed like in this picture?
http://www.lightningbikes.com/SP1_6644_dev.jpg

I am trying to figure out what would work before buying the stuff.

Thanks a lot for the help,

Alex

alex: non-bb30 frames/cranksets tend to have more clearance as there is less "beef" around the bottom bracket, and there is just more room around the spider/cinqo. the bearings themselves (in your picture) have little to do with it.

i wouldn't be too worried.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try getting a Cannodale dealer to order this part for you. Cannondale QC850 it is a longer spindle to give you more clearance on drive side. Also includes machined bearing shields

Eric Doehrman
E3 Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
middlepack wrote:
Quarq did the assembly. I wanted to stay with the 7900 rings with the di2. I know many have had succes with other rings. But didn't make sence to me to change it up

no -- it's a great thing. i'm just surprised the 7900 rings work. a few years ago, when 7900 came out, i was unable to use them on a specialized cinqo due to the design of the 7900 outer ring and the way the inner ring and cinqo would bolt to it.

i'm glad -- but surprised -- to hear it now works....or maybe it doesn't from your post. it sounds like the cinqo works with it.

i just recently got another cinqo and went with 7800 rings. i probably would have gone 7900 had i known.

i've had NO problems with 2 s975 cinqos (DA 7800 rings on one, R700 on the other) and 1 specialized cinqo (DA 7800), all with bb30, 4 different frames.

can you post pictures so we can actually see the area of incompatibility?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the infos and help.

Quarq also told me about the QC850 spindle which is slightly longer for extra space.
It is also to be used for SRM setups as I found out.

Thanks again,

Alex
Quote Reply
Re: 2011 felt DA/quarq/ hollowgram [gottabe-E] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gottabe-E wrote:
Try getting a Cannodale dealer to order this part for you. Cannondale QC850 it is a longer spindle to give you more clearance on drive side. Also includes machined bearing shields

increased q-factor, for those who care about such things?

the sram s975 is another option (for those who haven't yet purchased) -- seems the way the crankset is set up on a bb30 frame there is a DS spacer that allows for more clearance with a magnet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes the srm hollowgram spindle Is longer but only 1.5mm. we needed 4 or 5 mm.

http://www.cannondaleexperts.com/...e--116992A_p_32.html

working on the pictures

2011 Cannondale Caad10
2008 Cannondale 29er 2
2011 Felt Da
Last edited by: middlepack: May 23, 11 17:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
middlepack wrote:
Yes the srm hollowgram spindle Is longer but only 1.5mm. we needed 4 or 5 mm.

http://www.cannondaleexperts.com/...e--116992A_p_32.html

working on the pictures

would be really cool of you to post pics of your frame and crankset. i can give you some guidance.

sometimes unconventional mounting positions work--one of mine has just a corner to trip the strain gauges -- it does NOT have to be in between the cinqo and the BB shell.

is there a reason you won't post the pics? it would help quite a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll try to post pics over the week end. I'm not pulling the crankset off. I don't have a big torque wrench to put it back on. Plus with work and training available hours are short except for 4 am coffee time and I'm not doing it now.

2011 Cannondale Caad10
2008 Cannondale 29er 2
2011 Felt Da
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
middlepack wrote:
I'll try to post pics over the week end. I'm not pulling the crankset off. I don't have a big torque wrench to put it back on. Plus with work and training available hours are short except for 4 am coffee time and I'm not doing it now.

i understand. you're the one who is asking for help here, though, so that would make it much easier / possible to give you that guidance.

removing a bb30 crankset usually just requires one bolt. torque wrench really isn't needed for a crank -- you won't over-tighten it. should be pretty easy.

or, just take a pic with the crankset on the bike so we can see the clearance (or lack thereof).

i'm betting you'd be good to go with a sram s975 crankset.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My lbs already modified the spindle crank works fine. It pays off to have a engineer for a bike shop owner and a machinest building bikes

2011 Cannondale Caad10
2008 Cannondale 29er 2
2011 Felt Da
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
middlepack wrote:
My lbs already modified the spindle crank works fine. It pays off to have a engineer for a bike shop owner and a machinest building bikes

glad to hear you are sorted...just trying to help others that may see this. your original post said you have a problem, would like to know what cranks work...and then you later said that all bb30 quarqs will have a problem.

just trying to help not only you but anyone else that may encounter this situation (and find this thread) in the future.

the pics (of the mod) would still be very helpful to me and others so we could see what's up and determine if another stock crankset might work. i suspect the sram s975 will.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am the who needs help now ;-)

I talked to Tony at Quarq. He suggested QC850 spindle for the extra space but now I read that this might not be enough.
My plan was to get the Lightning crank with Quarq. Quarq no longer supports Lightning.....that I what I was told.

So my plan is the use the Hollowgram as well.

So any information what needs to be machined or how to make it work would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alexn wrote:
I am the who needs help now ;-)

I talked to Tony at Quarq. He suggested QC850 spindle for the extra space but now I read that this might not be enough.
My plan was to get the Lightning crank with Quarq. Quarq no longer supports Lightning.....that I what I was told.

So my plan is the use the Hollowgram as well.

So any information what needs to be machined or how to make it work would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

alex--precisely. if we could see pictures i can provide more assistance.

i really think the sram s975 might work for you without mods, which i think would be a preferable solution. hard to comment on the mods without seeing them. seeing the inside of the DS crank and the frame (and ideally a pic showing the gap between the crank and the bb) would be ideal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll try to get the crank off this weekend. I'll try to explain what they did , but my verbage may not be correct. They machined the ridge off the crank and made a spacer with the inside diameter as the spindle. as used shims to center the crank. Pictures will only show the spacer that they made. I wish they would have documented with pictures everything but they did most of the modification while I was at work. Basicly the only thing at risk with the mods was the spindle . My marriage might have been up in the air if I would have bought another crankset/cinco the same week I paid for the DA

I would have returned it and traded it for a sram crank if I hadn't used on my caad10 for several months waiting on the DA. I would say it is jerry rigged. It is completely functional and you would never know by riding it ,but not the way I would prefer to do things. I plan on buying another crankset that doesn't have to be modified and put the hollowgram on my caad10. If your actually interested in doing the same thing pm me and I'll forward their email.

2011 Cannondale Caad10
2008 Cannondale 29er 2
2011 Felt Da
Quote Reply

Prev Next