Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

? for Andrew Coggan
Quote | Reply
Andrew,

I sent you an e-mail but the electronic link that was sent back doesn't work, so here is the e-mail.

I have recently purchased WKO+ 3.0 and I am training for Syracuse 70.3 using Matt Fitzgerald’s week by week book. I am sure you are aware of his training zones and as everyone seems to call them something different I was wondering if you could compare yours and his for me.

Also, I did threshold testing a few years ago ( blood lactate ) and the numbers were between 250-280w with 172-175 hr. I have the threshold number set at 245 on WKO+ as I recently did a 1 hr ride at 1.00 IF at 230 w avg. and 160hr avg.
Just wondering if you think I should adjust that or I need a better test.

Thx,

Jim

In Reply To:
Andrew,

I sent you an e-mail but the electronic link that was sent back doesn't work, so here is the e-mail.

I have recently purchased WKO+ 3.0 and I am training for Syracuse 70.3 using Matt Fitzgerald’s week by week book. I am sure you are aware of his training zones and as everyone seems to call them something different I was wondering if you could compare yours and his for me.

Also, I did threshold testing a few years ago ( blood lactate ) and the numbers were between 250-280w with 172-175 hr. I have the threshold number set at 245 on WKO+ as I recently did a 1 hr ride at 1.00 IF at 230 w avg. and 160hr avg.
Just wondering if you think I should adjust that or I need a better test.

Thx,

Jim

Not to steal Andy's fire, but since he's likely not very familiar with Matt's zones, I may jump in here. First off, you're trying to compare run zones with bike zones (levels), so, there will a bit of variance there. That being said, PZI 8 is roughly equivalent to L5, PZI 6 is roughly equivalent to L4, PZI 4 and 3 combined are roughly equivalent to L3.

Hope that helps.

Steve

Steve

http://www.PeaksCoachingGroup.com
Quote Reply
Re: ? for Andrew Coggan [JimH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
any test from a few years ago or months for that matter when looking at power is of little value. The HR maybe, but that is unknown on my part. I test every 4-6 wks.
Quote Reply
Re: ? for Andrew Coggan [JimH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quoting someone else "FTP is only valuable for e-wang and TSS, everything else should be based on prior experiences"

1) You have made up a FTP number, it may be accurate it may not be...
2) TSS Will provide you no value for Syracuse 70.3 considering it is only a month
3) You should just follow a good training plan and not worry about TSS

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Re: ? for Andrew Coggan [S McGregor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Steve,

Thx for the input. I am trying to compare Moderate Aerobic, High Aerobic etc to Endurance etc in WKO+. I am essentially using my 172-175 TH as a guide with RPE. I haven't done much since I had the testing done so figure I am close to that start point.

I would like to use WKO+ going forward along with Matt's book for Amer Zof next spring.

I have e-mailed Matt and have a plan together for that.

Jim

Trimeon,

I figured that but I needed a baseline and my fitness was about the same.

Jim

msuguy512,

I wasn't getting to worried about TSS but I will for Amer Zof next year. The FTP number was from a windy 40k around the block ( I live in the country ).
I am following Matts program which I find very good .

Jim

So why are you adding 15W to your power?

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Re: ? for Andrew Coggan [msuguy512] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The one I sent to Andrew was from a 1hr ride at Matts High Aerobic level which is below TH

I've got the same book and think it's pretty clear how they match up (almost like Matt based his zones off AC's).

I found the key is Matt's "Threshold" pace: "fastest pace you can hold for 60:00." That's practically the definition of FTP. So consider "Threshold" to be AC's Zone 4, the ones below that would be zones 3, 2, and 1, respectively, i.e. Matt's "High aerobic" equals AC's "Tempo". Seems pretty reasonable that Matt's VO2 max zone matches up with AC's Zone 5 (which he also calls VO2 max). Finally, Matt describes "Speed" as "fastest you can hold for 1:00-1:30." That's a little shorter than AC's Zone 6 (which states 0:30-3:00 intervals), but it should be close enough to work with.
Quote Reply
Re: ? for Andrew Coggan [dgunthert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Thanks,

Apparently I am a little sleep deprived, that makes sense to me too.

Jim