Quote | Reply
Another reason to love Colorado and Boulder:

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/ci_16834812

Citius, Altius, Fortius
Last edited by: trigreek: Dec 13, 10 13:28
Quote Reply
Re: $30 million sports center for endurance athletes [trigreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not afraid to say it but I'm definately envious of those that live in Boulder.
Quote Reply
Re: $30 million sports center for endurance athletes [furiousferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm not afraid to say it but I'm definately envious of those that live in Boulder.

Try getting ANYTHING built, much less a commercial building, in the People's Republic of Boulder and then get back to me on how great it is. No doubt (at least IMHO), we have the best training venue in the world, but the people here are militant when it comes to building.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, that could be cool. How about the 200 meter swim course!

NCCP certified Comp coach
Quote Reply
Re: $30 million sports center for endurance athletes [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If they just lived in Texas you wouldn't need a center you could just train outside

oooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Yeah, but then they'd have to live in Texas. :-P

Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Re: $30 million sports center for endurance athletes [steveperx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
people here are militant when it comes to building.

Good, keep the growth down and it might, MIGHT remain possible to ride a bicycle on the roads for the month that it is warm enough.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: $30 million sports center for endurance athletes [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Good, keep the growth down and it might, MIGHT remain possible to ride a bicycle on the roads for the month that it is warm enough.

Keep repeating that to every Texan you know, and if you know any Californians, tell them, too. Brrr!!! It's WAY too cold out today for me to be riding.

Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The last paragraphs of your link suggest this is very.... tentative.

I wonder what the reality of it becoming... reality- truly are? It would be awesome.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gawd.. the small number of triathletes at my gym are bad enough. A whole facility dedicated to endurance training? Kill me...

Quote Reply
Re: $30 million sports center for endurance athletes [FastandFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And they would all be heavily sponsored pros too.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the reason I got out of triathlons.....I preferred it when it was a fringe sport.....now everyone's doing 'em.

http://theworldthroumyeyes.tumblr.com/
Last edited by: ShoMyOFace: Dec 13, 10 16:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perfect for all the Kiwi's and Aussies to use.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: $30 million sports center for endurance athletes [ShoMyOFace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
its mainstream to do tris, its fringe to try to be good at them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It probably wonā€™t happen in my life time but I had thought up an endurance sports center that revolves around an Olympic quality velodrome on the eastern half of the country, to be paired with the revamped one coming for the 2028 LA. games. Youā€™d have to partner with a city, ideally the local university or universities and needs to be within an affordable Uber/taxi/whatever ride from an international airport. I was actually thinking that a location like Dayton, Ohio would be pretty damn perfect. On the off chance if anyone wants to dig deeper into this idea that Iā€™ve been brainstorming you know how to reach me.

If Columbus, Ohio can fund/find $315M for a new soccer stadium the replace the ā€œhistoricā€ crew stadium, Iā€™m sure at least a few cities around the country could find funding for endurance parks, even if under the guys to benefit our Olympic programs.
Last edited by: Ohio_Roadie: Sep 22, 21 11:47
Quote Reply
Re: $30 million sports center for endurance athletes [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohio_Roadie wrote:

If Columbus, Ohio can fund/find $315M for a new soccer stadium the replace the ā€œhistoricā€ crew stadium

People will be pay to watch soccer. It's rare in this country for people to pay to watch track. They charge money for spectating at T-Town, for some events. Which is cool. And at some events at the LA velodrome. I'm not aware that it works at some tracks. I'm curious how the LA velodrome pays for itself (or if it does) since it seems both expensive to maintain (just the electricity bill to keep the place cool and the humidity low 24/7, for starters), and vastly underutilized...seems like easily 10x as many tracker riders could use it on a daily basis than do currently. It always seems very lonely when I'm there.

Edit: And it's not clear to me that LA will build a new velodrome for 2028. I've heard it's still a possibility to use the current one, just get a UCI waiver for the line-of-sight issue with the construction.
Last edited by: trail: Sep 22, 21 13:29
Quote Reply
Re: $30 million sports center for endurance athletes [furiousferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
furiousferret wrote:

Boulder is amazing but does this really add anything to Boulder's allure? Not for me. The best part about Boulder is getting outside.

Build the open water swimming part and leave it at that.
Quote Reply
Re: $30 million sports center for endurance athletes [mkq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This post is 10 years old! Clearly it never happened....
Quote Reply
Re: $30 million sports center for endurance athletes [endosch2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
endosch2 wrote:
This post is 10 years old! Clearly it never happened....

Oh the details! Hahaha. Brilliant catch. I definitely did not notice.
Quote Reply
Re: $30 million sports center for endurance athletes [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Ohio_Roadie wrote:

If Columbus, Ohio can fund/find $315M for a new soccer stadium the replace the ā€œhistoricā€ crew stadium

People will be pay to watch soccer. It's rare in this country for people to pay to watch track. They charge money for spectating at T-Town, for some events. Which is cool. And at some events at the LA velodrome. I'm not aware that it works at some tracks. I'm curious how the LA velodrome pays for itself (or if it does) since it seems both expensive to maintain (just the electricity bill to keep the place cool and the humidity low 24/7, for starters), and vastly underutilized...seems like easily 10x as many tracker riders could use it on a daily basis than do currently. It always seems very lonely when I'm there.

Edit: And it's not clear to me that LA will build a new velodrome for 2028. I've heard it's still a possibility to use the current one, just get a UCI waiver for the line-of-sight issue with the construction.

If you push the guise of the Olympic medals, how many potential Olympic medals could be aided by an Olympic quality endurance sports complex? However, yes, Iā€™m sure that by the time that Columbus is ready to build their next stadium they will have at least broken even on this one.
Quote Reply
Re: $30 million sports center for endurance athletes [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn, this thread has aged better than my Chateau de Pape.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: $30 million sports center for endurance athletes [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Itā€™s all about trying to make a fair contribution to our society right? šŸ˜‚

When we left Boulder in 2017 the average house price was $1.2M and they still had a functioning velodrome. I donā€™t know the status on the house prices now but I can only assume they are obscene and the track ist kaput. So at least your wine and this thread have aged better than the front range.
Quote Reply