Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"Watts Setpoint" if my FTP is 360 watts for 20 minute TT?
Quote | Reply
I bought this trainer, Tacx Vortex and it has something called Watts Setpoint, I have no clue what this is for. If I set it at 300 watts it's tougher to ride and at 100 watts it's easier. What do a put this at? I am ready to return this thing and go back to a plain trainer.

Somebody has to know what this is? I don't train with a power tap either. Help me here please.
Last edited by: terrtri: Nov 2, 16 11:28
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Watts Setpoint", Help ! [terrtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
terrtri wrote:
I bought this trainer, Tacx Vortex and it has something called Watts Setpoint, I have no clue what this is for. If I set it at 300 watts it's tougher to ride and at 100 watts it's easier. What do a put this at? I am ready to return this thing and go back to a plain trainer.

Somebody has to know what this is? I don't train with a power tap either. Help me here please.

I assume you're talking about in the tacx iphone or android app, correct? It's to set the resistance of the trainer making it harder or easier to ride for a workout. It's calculating of watts based on resistance against the tire and speed you're able to turn the tire (or something to that effect)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This feature that you're frustrated with is usually the whole point of purchasing a trainer like this...
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Watts Setpoint", Help ! [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:

I assume you're talking about in the tacx iphone or android app, correct? It's to set the resistance of the trainer making it harder or easier to ride for a workout. It's calculating of watts based on resistance against the tire and speed you're able to turn the tire (or something to that effect)

Yes, it's the tacx iphone app. What do I set this at? Do I just increase and decrease depending on my mood at the time or does this have a specific purpose?
Last edited by: terrtri: Nov 2, 16 11:01
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Watts Setpoint", Help ! [mbecks2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbecks2 wrote:
This feature that you're frustrated with is usually the whole point of purchasing a trainer like this...

Okay, so what am I supposed to set this at or does it not matter? Personally, my speed is faster at 100Watts then at 300watts. I assume I am suppose to set this at some level, right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
terrtri wrote:
mbecks2 wrote:

Okay, so what am I supposed to set this at or does it not matter? Personally, my speed is faster at 100Watts then at 300watts. I assume I am suppose to set this at some level, right?

it's up to you how hard of a workout you want. it's like if you choose to walk a mile vs run a mile. One provides a harder workout. it's up to you how you want to set that. You can do intervals where you do a certain amount of time at lower watts, then other intervals at higher watts.

You might do something like 10 minutes of warmup where you slowly increase the watts from 100 to 150watts. Then do a few minutes at a higher watts. followed by a recovery interval again at lower watts. It all depends on your fitness level.

I don't have any good resources off hand but try googling for bike trainer workouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
terrtri wrote:
mbecks2 wrote:

It sounds like you are unfamiliar with training with power in general. I would suggest doing a little bit of research into what training using a power measuring device entails, and then all will become clear.
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Watts Setpoint", Help ! [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did do a couple of 20 minute TT on a computrainer at a training facility and my best was a 360 watts average and I weight about 170lbs. So what does that mean in terms of setting my tacx trainer at?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by mbecks2 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you very much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
20min power is NOT ftp in any way
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Watts Setpoint", Help ! [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
20min power is NOT ftp in any way

Oh, I don't know these tech terms. I rode for 20 minutes and the dude "coach" said that's my FTP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FTP is typically calculated as 95% of 20m avg power. So your 360 20m TT = 342 FTP

Meaning if you can hold 360w for 20 mins you could in theory hold 342w for 1 hour. This varies slightly for some people but it's the general rule of thumb.
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Watts Setpoint", Help ! [holograham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
holograham wrote:
FTP is typically calculated as 95% of 20m avg power. So your 360 20m TT = 342 FTP

Meaning if you can hold 360w for 20 mins you could in theory hold 342w for 1 hour. This varies slightly for some people but it's the general rule of thumb.

Oh okay, thanks for the clarification.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
holograham wrote:

you mean normalized power

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if you did a 5min blowout right before, if not read the 7 deadly sins by alexS

my ftp runs at about 92% without the blowout and I have done lots of hour long efforts in my life(well close to an hour anyway)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say buy and read Training and Racing with Power or take it back and get a regular trainer.

There aren't simple answers to the questions you're asking. The setpoint depends on what you are trying to aacomplish with that workout.
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Watts Setpoint", Help ! [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:

my ftp runs at about 92% without the blowout and I have done lots of hour long efforts in my life(well close to an hour anyway)

For anyone that is curious, THAT is how you humble brag. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Watts Setpoint", Help ! [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
jeffp wrote:

For anyone that is curious, THAT is how you humble brag. ;)

Not really! I was going to say ask "What's the conversion scale for around 50 minutes?"

But there isn't one, right because 40K TT is 40K TT. Though I'm always confused by this. No matter what definition of FTP is given, even copy-and-pasted from "Training and Racing" I think Coggan will come on and say it's wrong.
Last edited by: trail: Nov 2, 16 12:16
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Watts Setpoint", Help ! [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

But there isn't one, right because 40K TT is 40K TT. Though I'm always confused by this. No matter what definition of FTP is given, even copy-and-pasted from "Training and Racing" I think Coggan will come on and say it's wrong.

The definition of FTP is max 1hr power. Everything else is just a method to estimate it without actually doing a 1hr TT. 40k TT is often referenced as a good estimate because a lot of people can do that in the 1hr ballpark. FTP is not necessarily the same as power at LT.

To the OPs question - I'm not specifically familiar with the tax trainer but it sounds like you are supposed to use the app to vary the resistance rather than changing gears or increasing cadence like you would on a traditional "dumb" trainer. SO you would change the power set point throughout your workout based on whatever you are trying to accomplish. I don't think it's a "set it and forget it type of thing."
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Watts Setpoint", Help ! [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok, I did an hour effort on the road bike a week or so ago. NP was 5 w higher than AP, but I could not have gone much, if any, harder for this time of year. so it was an FTP effort(question is, which number?) normally my VI is 1.0 that day it was 1.03

so I do occasionally do hour long efforts. it was not 40k tho
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Watts Setpoint", Help ! [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
The definition of FTP is max 1hr power. Everything else is just a method to estimate it without actually doing a 1hr TT. 40k TT is often referenced as a good estimate because a lot of people can do that in the 1hr ballpark. FTP is not necessarily the same as power at LT.

I'm pretty sure that is not how Dr Coggan defines FTP. Of the top of my head I can't remember how it is currently defined (I think as understanding has improved the definition may have changed slightly), but I think it's probably fair to say that the max power you can hold for 1 hour will be a good estimate for your FTP.
Quote Reply
Re: "Watts Setpoint" if my FTP is 360 watts for 20 minute TT? [terrtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the watt set point is the amount of resistance you want the trainer to provide. usually you'd use an application like zwift, trainerroad, perfpro, and others to control this value for you during a workout. as you perform a workout, that value varies depending on the goal of your workout. take this screenshot of trainer road. the blue graph would represent the different levels of resistance. trainerroad would communicate with your trainer and change the set point value automatically as you go through the workout

the reason that the speed seems higher when you set a lower wattage is that you can spin the trainer faster. speed is pretty useless on a trainer and is highly dependent on the gear that you select.
Quote Reply
Re: What is "Watts Setpoint", Help ! [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
trail wrote:

The definition of FTP is max 1hr power.

"FTP is not defined as maximal power for 60 min." , Dr. Coggan. [source]

And later in that thread, "Now an all-out 60 min effort would be a good way of estimating FTP...although I have have always preferred a 40 km "

Given that I race 40K's all the time, I'm going with that as my FTP. Helps that I thrive on 40K races, but despise stupid trainer sessions.
Last edited by: trail: Nov 2, 16 13:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
terrtri wrote:
Yes, it's the tacx iphone app. What do I set this at? Do I just increase and decrease depending on my mood at the time or does this have a specific purpose?

I'm not a fan of the tacx app. I recommend using zwift or trainer road to control the resistance of your unit. Or if you want to keep it simple, use the wahoo fitness iPhone app. This won't control the resistance of the trainer, but it will give you power, cadence, etc so you can track how well you are riding. Or use it to ride intervals (i.e. I'm gonna try and keep my power above 300 for the next five minutes).

Like another person mentioned, pick up Training and Racing with Power or Joe Friel's book on power. This will help you understand the concept of power and how to use power to train

Matt
Quote Reply

Prev Next