Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

"Last Long Run" Before Marathon Question
Quote | Reply
Do you guys or gals do your longest run 3 weeks before the marathon or 2 weeks, before you start your taper. Some of you may even approach that differently. I know everyone does this differently, but just getting a gauge, here. I like doing it 2 weeks away. But no later than that. A lot of books and running experts will now say 3-4 weeks out.
Quote Reply
Re: "Last Long Run" Before Marathon Question [boothrand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3 weeks out is my last long run...a fast 35km run (as fast as a 35km run can be :))...2 weeks out I do about 2hrs nice and easy, 1 week out about 9 miles...that's what I've done in the past and am planning to do for my next....

"Fortitudine vincimus"
Last edited by: runnin'grizzly: Feb 18, 07 6:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 weeks out for me. Tried both, and for me, 3 weeks out (seems like most plans) is just too far away.

Quote | Reply
FOUR weeks for me: That is, a 3+ hour 23-miler (almost all LSD) 4 weeks out; a 2:40 20 miler (w/ 4 miles at goal pace near end) 3 weeks out; 13-15 miler (half at goal pace) 2 weeks out and an easy 8-9 one week out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just ran one two weeks ago and I did the last three weeks almost exactly like the runnin grizz. Only difference was one week out I did a hard ten with a 2mi cool down. The hard ten is probably not advisable:) but I was trying not to get dropped by the runners training for the half-mary. I recovered OK in 6days by only running about 6mi but I'm sure I cut it close.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 weeks for me and then a 12 2 weeks out and 8 the week before - not sure that it would make a big difference for me though
Quote Reply
Re: "Last Long Run" Before Marathon Question [Chris G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
20 miler 3 weeks out and then it's taper time!

I have to look at my training plan at work, but I think 2 weeks out is 15 and 1 week out is 12.

Gonna be a little different though with my marathon being on a Monday. Guess I get an extra day to rest! ;-)

Re: "Last Long Run" Before Marathon Question [Daremo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been trying to figure out what day to put my last long run (1 week out) for Boston too...I think I'm going to stick with the Sunday before and like you said, just get an extra rest day...I can't imagine there is a big difference...what are you planning on doing Sat & Sun before the race?

"Fortitudine vincimus"
Quote Reply
Re: "Last Long Run" Before Marathon Question [runnin'grizzly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like to do 22 miles with a progression the last 4 3 weeks out then 15 easy 2 weeks out then 9-10 1 week out with 2 x 3 miles at race pace in the middle.
Quote Reply
Re: "Last Long Run" Before Marathon Question [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice use of the search function as apparently you also like to revive 11 year old threads in a reply to guy last logged on in 2008!

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: "Last Long Run" Before Marathon Question [mistergomez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot depends on the training you have done for marathon.

If a runner has consistently been training 50 to 100 miles/week with a 19+ mile long run every week for the last year, two weeks is plenty.

If someone is on a 16 week program for their first marathon, peaked at a 35 mile week and only did 3 long runs over 17 miles, they're highly unlikely to be fully recovered from a 20 miler just two weeks before race day.
Quote Reply
Re: "Last Long Run" Before Marathon Question [runnin'grizzly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pretty much the same for me!
Quote Reply
Re: "Last Long Run" Before Marathon Question [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So... if we are reviving this thread....

I've done 3 weeks, I've done 2 weeks. I've also done my last long run during that week, so basically 2.5 weeks out.
It's an art, not a science, or not a pure science anyway. 3 weeks out is mentally tough, I think. At least for me. You're leaving yourself a lot of time to fret and worry.
Quote Reply