Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"High Intensity Interval Training" vs Aerobic training
Quote | Reply
Some gym junkies are trying to convince me that somehow "HIIT" burns more calories than traditional aerobic training?

http://en.wikipedia.org/...ty_interval_training

What says slowtwitch?
Quote Reply
Re: "High Intensity Interval Training" vs Aerobic training [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Some gym junkies are trying to convince me that somehow "HIIT" burns more calories than traditional aerobic training?

What says slowtwitch?
I'd say it depends.
Quote Reply
Re: "High Intensity Interval Training" vs Aerobic training [fulla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some previous coverage...here (HIIT? WTF?).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The thing to understand about this and, it has been discussed adnausem here on ST and elsewhere, is that it's never all this or that - the best training is a mixture of aerobic endurance training and higher intensity race pace or faster training. The mix of this will vary based on the time of year and the individual athlete. If you look at the best endurance athletes in the world, you will note that they never get too far away from being in top form and that they are typically doing some faster paced training almost year round - what changes is the volume of faster paced training. A common rut that many rec triathletes fall into is that all of their training becomes LSD type training and they get into a rut and a comfort zone that is very hard to get out of.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are studies on pubmed that say HIIT burns more body fat, I haven't seen anything about calories though.

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Re: "High Intensity Interval Training" vs Aerobic training [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For us old guys, LSD is actually pretty fast compared to our peers. Smile

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: "High Intensity Interval Training" vs Aerobic training [msuguy512] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you point me to those?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
"Lemond is cycling's version of Rev Jessie Jackson." -johnnyperu 5/18/07
"Just because I suck doesn't mean my bike has to" -rickn 9/2/08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure that many of you are familiar with Crossfit and their high intensity interval approach to most of their workouts. Well, even "coach" who is the "founder" of Crossfit says that to go long you have to train long.
Quote Reply
Re: "High Intensity Interval Training" vs Aerobic training [guncollector] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Some previous coverage...here (HIIT? WTF?).

And here....16 minutes of cardio...

I agree with others that you have to mix things up. But my beef with the denizens from this guy's local gym is that they SWEAR that 16 minutes is all you need, EVER to get into awesome cardio shape. And while that may be true for strength training and or body building competitions, the guy that runs this gym puts a weekly article out in the paper and he is forever blasting those that do more than 16 minutes of cardio for anything and says they are wasting their time.

I've heard this argument a bunch of times (and I'm sure it's been depated on here as well). When the argument is truly 'teased out', it isn't a debate about 1-hour of LSD vs. 1-hour of HIT...it's usually the debate as to which technique will burn more calories in the following 24-hour period, which according to the link you provide (quote below) suggests HIT may in fact do that.

"HIIT increases the resting metabolic rate (RMR) for the following 24 hours due to excess post-exercise oxygen consumption, and may improve maximal oxygen consumption (VO2 max) more effectively than doing only traditional, long aerobic workouts"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. For their goals and scheduling,, HIIT appears to be the ideal workout.

No, they do not need to mix it up for their goals. Everyone here who says that is missing the point.

For OUR purposes, HIIT has a limited value and needs to be done within the context of other types of training. For THEIR purposes, it is an invaluable use of 16 or whatever minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: "High Intensity Interval Training" vs Aerobic training [brandonecpt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
www.pubmed.com

this one seems to make the boldest claim...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...anel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

there is another that showed an increase in rats

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...anel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

and another in women...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/....Pubmed_Discovery_RA

need anything else?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think gym junkies like HIIT because it is more effective at isolating fat oxidation (so they don't lose their muscles). Others will say this isn't true because you don't burn fat at high intensity. Though this is also true, the studies above indicate there is significant lipid oxidation post HIIT.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fulla wrote:

What says slowtwitch?

It all depends how long is each session..., if they are both same lengths it is obvious higher intensity will require more energy.

http://www.bikecalculator.com/

70kg man

1min @ 100W ~ 32kJ
1min@ 200W ~ 48kJ
1min @ 400W ~ 74kJ

Big question is: how each intensity affect your physiological system and what effect it will have on adaptations etc.

Average untrained person from the street will have much "better" performance response with HIIT then when using standard methods, but it mighty/will develop imbalances in the process.
With HIIT, you overload all the systems, which in many cases is absolutely not necessary. Weakest system will bonk first then compenstators will start to kick in, and after 5-6 months of that nonsense(if you don't injure yourself first) you will stop making progress until you resolve issue with your main limiter. (it might be anything: heart, lungs, knees, back, joints, ACL literally could be anything.)

Analogy, you have no clue about driving, but your dream is to race European rally races:

You take the car and start going fast without leaning anything about racing... what do you think it will happen?

1. You might not crash (if you are lucky or reflex gifted),
2. you might be fast (until you crash),

One thing is sure: you will never be good consistent car racer.

Quote Reply
Re: "High Intensity Interval Training" vs Aerobic training [Wayne666] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wayne666 wrote:
In Reply To:

What says slowtwitch?

I'd say it depends.

Yeah, how could it not depend? How long and how hard are you exercising in the two conditions?
Quote Reply
Re: "High Intensity Interval Training" vs Aerobic training [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It may depend on the fitness he had 8 years ago
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many seem to have forgotten what the OP's question was.
It was not "Which is better triathlon training?"
It was "Which burns more calories?"

To which the answer might be pretty straight-forward, but it depends on some clarifications as others have mentioned:
When you say burned, do you mean calories of work done?
If you mean impact of calorie expenditure on body mass, do you mean calories total or calories of fat?
What volume of aerobic training and at what intensity versus what volume of HIIT and at what intensity?

Obviously by it's very nature, HIIT involves more energy expenditure per unit time.
Quote Reply
Re: "High Intensity Interval Training" vs Aerobic training [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can say personally that HIIT is what got me over my plateau and started me making gains in performance again.

Just make sure to mix it up, since your HIIT routine isn't representative of what you actually do on the bike split, or really the run split either. Toss in a longer trainer session and run session at a set pace and monitor your progress(heart rate, watts etc)

The results you get from HIIT, at least for me, seem to be nonlinear. Everyone is different. If it doesn't work for you, then stop.

Also, if your getting injured frequently when your doing HIIT, it might be indicative of other issues(run form, nutrition, or bike fit problems). Won't you receive similar injuries when you're pushing it on race day?

As always, listen to your body.
Quote Reply
Re: "High Intensity Interval Training" vs Aerobic training [baxnelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
baxnelly wrote:
And here....16 minutes of cardio...

I agree with others that you have to mix things up. But my beef with the denizens from this guy's local gym is that they SWEAR that 16 minutes is all you need, EVER to get into awesome cardio shape.

That 16-minute workout sounds like one set of high intensity interval to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
USRPT.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Intervals are the foundation of training
Quote Reply
Re: "High Intensity Interval Training" vs Aerobic training [radaddio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
radaddio wrote:
I can say personally that HIIT is what got me over my plateau and started me making gains in performance again.

Just make sure to mix it up, since your HIIT routine isn't representative of what you actually do on the bike split, or really the run split either. Toss in a longer trainer session and run session at a set pace and monitor your progress(heart rate, watts etc)

The results you get from HIIT, at least for me, seem to be nonlinear. Everyone is different. If it doesn't work for you, then stop.

Also, if your getting injured frequently when your doing HIIT, it might be indicative of other issues(run form, nutrition, or bike fit problems). Won't you receive similar injuries when you're pushing it on race day?

As always, listen to your body.

So you weren't doing intervals before? I thought that was a staple of most any endurance program designed for peak performance.

Or does HIIT refer to something specific not covered by intervals?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It does burn more calories per hour, but you're also limited with how long can you do one session and how often you can do those sessions without burning yourself out. You need a mix of the two. Depending on your time availability, I find 80/20 cardio/interval has been best for me and that's a pretty common find. I do more intervals when training time is short.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Burn calories? What does that have to do with triathlon? ;) We are about going long and fast. To do that your training needs both aerobic and high intensity intervals. But how much of each, and when? That depends.
Quote Reply
Re: "High Intensity Interval Training" vs Aerobic training [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weight loss is not rocket science. Nothing has changed in the last 1.5 million years.
Burn more calories than you eat - you loose weight.
Eat more calories than you burn- you gain weight.

The "latest" and "greatest" in weight control pseudoscience is always bullsh#t and will usually encourage weight gain.

What is it that people are hoping to yet from high intensity intervals?

Answer-
Less effort, less self control- more weight loss.

Here is a weight loss plan that WILL work:
More effort, more self control- more weight loss.
Last edited by: dirtymangos: Dec 8, 16 10:32
Quote Reply

Prev Next